Back to the Hump Garden...

Still flowering.
Crimson Cascade Roses

Out I go, hot coffee, wheelbarrow, hand tools, rake, sunhat (even though it's a nearly-autumn sun). I am back working my way through the Hump Garden. This time I'll be starting at the house end, by the archway. Wonder how far I'll get?

Industrial strength!

Where, I must mention, the climbing rose Crimson Cascade is still flowering. It has the most industrial strength petals of any rose I've grown. They simply do not fall off - in wind, or rain, or when picked for a house vase, whatever. They almost don't look natural.

Next day...

Same again. I kept on clearing, barrowing out loads of mess. The main path has had to be rerouted slightly. Again. Oops. How many times has this happened? The Miscanthus Zebrinus is too fat, and an old fashioned single red rose is too close to the path. Someone planted it in a silly place. Funny how that happens!

These will over-winter.
Scrophularia Leaves

Then I potted up divisions of Scrophularia, and some unwanted roses which my friend had dumped off by the Stables. Darlings! They're in potting mix. She's also dropped off some little Lavender shrubs. I'll plant those by the dog kennels tomorrow.

So far so good.
The Main Path in the Hump

Thursday 16th March

A new morning, fresh eyes - amazing! Have just grabbed my camera and wandered into the Hump Garden, wherein I'd got rather bogged down yesterday (in a mental sense).

Tunnel in from both ends...

This morning the solution is clear. It's an easy path shift, and I can 'tunnel' in from both ends, meeting in the middle underneath the Miscanthus Zebrinus.

OK - so everything in here has grown so amazingly well, including the wee trees I shifted in four years ago. And there are clumps of waist-high weeds to pull out. So which problem would I choose? Overgrowth or undergrowth?

Much later...

I went to my ballet class and a singing rehearsal. Came home and worked really hard. I rerouted that path. Easy as. And I dealt to the weeds. Equally easy, since large weeds are easier to pull out than small ones.

I was surrounded by busy bumble bees, colourful flowers, and non-barking (for once) dogs. Beautiful.

Such hard work!
Fred in the Garden

And one of the Fred cats was keeping me company - well, he was lolling around on the warm garden soil and opening his eyes ever so slightly when I plodded past. It's hard work being a cat.