A good sulk...

My favourite cat cup.
Cheer Up!

Warning : some of the following content might be annoying for people who have little sympathy for sulkers.

Humph...

I had (dare I say 'enjoyed') a good sulking session Monday night in bed. Everything seemed to be aching and sore, didn't sleep much. Got very grumpy. Blamed my garden.

Tuesday morning I was still very cross. Sulked and mooched around all day. Was far too grumpy to do any gardening. Nothing like a good, long sulk to recharge the gloom batteries. Humph.

Went off to bed Tuesday night feeling very apprehensive. Then enjoyed the most restful, pill-free sleep ever. Absolutely nothing was hurting. I just don't understand me. Have been trying to garden with 'mature moderation', and thought I'd found the magic working formula. So having a day off and sulking is the answer? Ha ha!

Leading into the Koru Courtyard.
Brick Path

Wednesday 19th July

Today is a new day. My sulking is officially over. Am off swimming and then to chamber music. And then I will do a couple of hours gentle weeding.

Much later...

Raked leaves off and weeded the koru courtyard. Am not allowing myself to bend over or kneel. Behaved impeccably (though I did weed-kill the invasive Euphorbias growing up between the bricks).

Then in the middle of the afternoon my dogs started barking madly. Talked to them gently, told them it was a false alarm, then - oops - a third dog flashed past. He was my friend's dog, and she was here dumping off bags of horse manure for me.

Thank you dogs - that was exactly the right thing to do. And thank you, friend, for the horse manure! Yeay!

Am loving the Camellias (variety Takanini) which are flowering at the moment by the brick courtyard. They are very inspiring. Took lots of photographs.

Flowering now.
Tinsie Camellias

Friday 21st July

Went over to the wee lawn by the fastigate Oak trees, raked up two barrow loads of oak leaves, trimmed Phormiums, weeded, and pruned a few roses (Blackberry Nip is not a robust grower at all - might have pruned it to death, oops). Did my best, but...

I don't think I was supposed to be out there gardening. Got rained on three times. Twice with fine drizzle was bearable, even though it was a cold winter's day. But the third time had water dripping off my fringe and down my nose. Not acceptable!

So I gathered up my tools, came inside, cranked up the wood-burner, and defiantly put on my new (Op shop new, that is) creamy white fluffy woolly sweater - as far away from an item of gardening clothing as one can get. And then, naturally, the sun came back out. Too late. Too cold anyway.

A wee bit later...

Ha ha! It's raining again. Six degrees Celsius. Brr...

Hope I am not speaking too soon, but nothing has ached in the night since Monday. I think it has a lot to do with the gardener's sleeping position. Cross fingers!

Wet!
Takanini Camellias