Really really busy...

A huge shrub with small pink flowers.
Gay Baby Camellias

I've been really really busy, and so has the wind. That blasted wind, busy blowing off the blossom on my flowering cherry tree. Me - singing, performing on piano, practicing my ballet moves...

Saturday 16th September

Oh boy! Three hours at ballet this morning learning two dances for a show performance. Point those toes! Don't wobble! Then home for an hour and a half's tree lopping. Power those upper arms and elbows! Don't fall over anything! Then some piano practice for a gig tomorrow. Find that G-Sharp! Turn the page early!

Then I enjoyed a bite to eat, a glass of (non-alcoholic) wine, and a peep through my Youtube favourites (canoeing a remote river in the Yukon). Nothing that required any concentration and effort, thank you very much. And no gardening, oops.

Monday 18th September

So yesterday I was out all day singing and performing, while NGP stayed home and chain-sawed up the last of the Oak trees. Now a lot of scrappy little pieces need to be cut up for kindling and bagged, or trundled to the bonfire.

Today the wind is roaring, unpleasant and aggressive. But the spring sun is shining, warming up my gardening spirit. And the weeds in the Hump Garden are calling. That's me sorted for the afternoon.

Rosa Woodsii Fendleri :
Such a beautiful old rose - wonder why it died?

Funny - that beautiful species rose, Rosa Woodsii Fendleri, has died back, though several clumps of suckers are growing and have buds. So I've chopped the original rose back, right down to ground level.

Tuesday 19th September

Yesterday there was no wind. So I carted oak tree mess to the bonfire all morning and 'enjoyed' a smokeless bonfire. Hard work, got hotter and hotter, thirsty work in the hot sun. Three hours was my limit.

Then I slithered into the water race (the water flow was down) and did a quick tidy up - Phormiums and a Flower Carpet rose, parts of which had flopped into the race and were jamming up with floating debris from upstream.

No bonfire today!

Today the wind is back. Yeay! No bonfire! I'm going swimming. Then I'll zoom home, finish trimming down another large Phormium, take photographs of the Camellias, and do some gentle sit-down weeding in the Hump. That's my day organised.

Actually, it's not. I have to check that my little pump is going, so I can start watering bits of the garden. That usually takes ages - a lot of wandering around to see if water is reaching the end points, check for breaks in the hose, misbehaving nozzles, etc. Little details to provide water, a rather large detail.

By the glass-house.
The Camellia Garden

OK. Four hours later, and I got the hoses going. I started watering the Camellia Garden by the glass-house. And I sliced down that flax - took me almost two hours, ridiculous.

With Winnie the dog supervising.
Phormium Trim

Then I potted up more seedlings (spinach, lettuce, pansies, and violas). My fingernails are filthy. No more piano performances for a while - phew!