One path...

Past the Phormium.
Path into the Periwinkle

One path to rule them all, one path to find them, One path to bring them all, and in the garden bind them; In the Shrubbery where the Periwinkle lies. With thanks (and apologies?) to J.R.R. Tolkein and the Lord of the Rings...

One path only...

Morning brings moderation. Re-thinking yesterday's rather excessive ideas regarding new paths, have decided (in the cool light of day) to limit myself to one new path that encircles the Shrubbery. Just one. One path only. Please note the word 'limit'. It is a concept I need to incorporate much, much more into my garden plans.

Lunchtime...

I've started. I only cleared out two meters. But I also put in new edge logs, lopped down and dragged out a lot of scruffy Pittosporums and three nearly dead Corokias.

More mess!

Made a lot more mess. Took two loads to the bonfire and a load of logs to the firewood pile. Rerouted the entrance path to curve sensibly around the Yellow Wave Phormium. If the start of a path looks passable, then it's an invitation to wander in and explore more, yes?

Fresh bread...

Then I came inside because my bread was ready, and then - well, what do you think? Am relaxing with a cup of hot coffee, munching freshly baked bread. Soon I go and pick my small friend up and take her to ballet.

Branches for the shredder.
Messy Mess

Next day...

After swimming and chamber music I made a big effort to extend the path, before dashing back out to a Vivaldi choir rehearsal - busy days, but so good to include some gardening. I got as far as a pretty red flowering Grevillia, smothered in periwinkle near the abandoned garden bench. I estimate another three meters of path is done. Two plus three equals five. Yeay!

These shrubs flower in spring.
Australian Grevillea

Looking back at my records, I planted two Grevillias (one lemon flowering, one pinky-red) and the Corokias back in 2008, when I started gardening in the back of the Shrubbery. That's fifteen years ago. Oh my goodness. Oops. Wow, etc. And other shrubs planted back then are still surviving, after fifteen years of neglect. What a fairy story! Once upon a time...

Later that evening...

Did some consumer market research. Asked my small ballet friend what a path in a garden was for. She said that it was to go somewhere. Next question - did it have to come out somewhere else? Not at all. It could just stop if it wanted to.