Moosey News : March and April 2014

Dear Subscriber,

Here's a selection of pages I've written through March and April. These are my autumn leaves months - maybe you'll be singing songs of spring instead. Enjoy!

Features :

1. What Shrubbery?
  2. Ellerslie Flower Show 2014
  3. The Herb Spiral
  4. A good list...
  5. My Alphabet of Plants

Regulars :

1. Plant of the Month : Oenothera biennis
  2. Animal of the Month : Lilli-Puss
  3. Garden Quote : Lists or Poems?
  4. Garden Gallery : Mellow Yellow
  5. Garden Thanks To : Christopher Lloyd
  6. Gardening Advice : Think like a bumble bee
  7. Searching for Moosey : 'how to prune climbing roses'
  8. Coming up soon : For me, the W-word. Winter!

This month's features

1. What Shrubbery?

The Shrubbery (note the upper case 'S') has been one of my named garden areas for years and years. So how come Non-Gardening Partner has never heard of it?

2. Ellerslie Flower Show 2014

I went to the local flower show (though it was more like an outdoor furniture show) and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I took lots of photographs, too. Have a peep!

3. The Herb Spiral

Two years after its construction you might like to see what's growing in my brick Herb Spiral, AKA Flower Spiral.

4. A good list

Been having trouble lately with your gardening lists? There are definitely rules for writing a good one. Check this page out.

5. My Alphabet of Plants

Is your weather being annoying? Here's a great gardening game to play on a rainy indoors day...

Regulars

6. Plants of the Month : Oenothera biennis

Perhaps Evening Primrose would be better described as the 'Weed of the Month'? Hmm... It's certainly got a fifty percent chance of being called a weed. Some of the prettiest yellow flowers are weeds, after all...

7. Animal of the Month : Lilli-Puss

With the changing of the seasons Lilli-Puss has moved back into the hay barn. Would you like to see a video of Lilli in her very own Cat Lounge?

8. Garden Quote : Lists or Poems?

Poems, any day! Here's a beautiful piece of inspiration from John Clare, namesake of that pretty pink David Austin rose...

9. Garden Gallery : Mellow Yellow

Have a peep at this assortment of mellow yellow photographs - dahlias, daylilies, ginkgo leaves, and perennial daisies. You'll find them in a strip at the top of the page. Just click and enjoy!

10. Garden Thanks To : Christopher Lloyd

And his lovely book 'The Adventurous Gardener' which got me through a head-cold.

11. Gardening Advice : Think like a bumble bee

In other words, buzz around your garden being busy while enjoying yourself...

12. Searching for Moosey : 'how to prune climbing roses'

Pruning climbing roses
No, no, no! I am not the person to ask. Check out Paul Zimmerman, my latest hero, on his Youtube channel.
My struggle with climbing roses
If you'd like to read about my personal struggles with climbing roses, have a peep at this journal page. It may not enlighten you much...
My struggle with climbing roses
And on this page you'll see photographs of some of my climbers, taken back in early summer.

12. Coming up this month : For me, the W-word. Winter!

Mind you, I can still garden, pretty much every day. And when the weather gets too cold or wet I can enjoy myself peeping at friends' summer gardens. Happy gardening, whatever your season.

Cheers,