jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Finally - a 'map' of my garden!

21 Feb '10 1:07 am
Hi all! I recently received a tip-off that Google Earth had a new photo of our area - and what an amazing improvement it is! So much so that I can use it as the basis for a map.

Here meanwhile are overlays onto the photo. For those who are interested: the point 23deg53'59.61"S 29deg56'57.34"E is just behind the big house, if you want to take a look 'live'.

I'm putting this into a separate diary, so that as I add to the info, I can refer to my 'map page' in future.

Now I wonder... where on Google's Earth do YOU fit in??
Sequoia Gardens overview of gardens.JPG
This indicates buildings and areas in red and different gardens in yellow.
Gardens near Big House.jpg
Here is a closer view of the 'formal' gardens nearer the house.
Big  House Gdn axes lines.JPG
I've added the lines of the main axes in the garden.
Big  House Gdn Areas.JPG
I've lightened the pic and added the garden areas.
An abandoned first attempt at a map.jpg
I might as well share my failures with my friends! :( ;)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Mar '10 11:02 am
Oh my good Lord Jack. Your place is VAST! And so very treey. It looks like a place an avid gardener could get lost for days in. I must rummage around in Google Earth and see if they've updated maps of our place...

moosey
head gardener

where on google earth are you?

17 Mar '10 9:02 am
Jack, I put your co-ordinates into Google and got some boring place with no trees and a large swimming pool. (Oops - I'm sure it's not your farm and garden). So at the risk of appearing non-mathematical, could you please tell me where to put the minus (I put it for south) and exactly what other numbers to put. I tried a few variations and ended up in the desert somewhere scary, and then in an extremely pixelated ocean. Oh boy!

Also (questions, questions) if one was to visit your garden how would one initially transport oneself? Say, if one was overseas and had a bit of money. Fly in to - Johannesburg? Then drive/bus/walk? Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

Finding Jack

17 Mar '10 5:13 pm
Oops, Moosey. Don't quite know what went wrong. So do what I did to check and you aught to land right by the fire in the living room! Cut and paste the co-ords into the Google Earth search pane. Then remove the words 'deg' and leave a space. (That was all because I couldn't find the little circles - but Google reads degrees without them) Then press the magnifying glass icon and your journey begins!

Getting here from Johannesburg - 400km - is a little more complex. Sure you could walk, and the first 30km is likely to be faster that way than any other way :x but 400km is a distance even for an intrepid walker like yourself :D

Actually, the first link, airport to Sandton, of the new rapid rail is supposed to be in operation before the FIFA world cup which starts in a little over two months; at the moment most roads in SA are construction sites :x :shock: :? etc.

But bottomline is that SA is a car-place. A lot depends on how long you plan to stay and what all you wish to see - and of course which season you will be here. It seems a definite option for instance that Yours Truly meets you at the airport, shows you a bit of Johannesburg etc. and brings you through to the farm and on to the Kruger Park. I do need to get to Jhb from time to time, besides anything else! Car hire is also an option, with sophisticated international hire companies. Send me dates, questions, wish lists etc. (do you still have my email?) and we can start to take it from there. Exciting!

SisterNoraSmith
contributor
Port Orchard, WA

Re: Finally - a 'map' of my garden!

26 Mar '10 8:55 am
Hello sorry for taking out of the garden but my what a large area to work with.. that sure would be the place to work and say ah after wards.... so is this place any way close to the Pacific North West? for that is where I am and of late I have just been staying home doing my own yard which was neglected for three years while gone ....till I get out again...... Lovely to see some still doing those big gardens of so much hard work ... Sister Nora Smith

PS at http://www.zillow.com/ one can find other mapping as well.

jack two

26 Mar '10 9:00 am
Sorry Sister!
I'm literally on the opposite side of the world from the Pacific North West, at the Southern end of Africa!

SisterNoraSmith
contributor
Port Orchard, WA

26 Mar '10 10:20 am
Ah so no competitor you would make... ah well I will have to just look forward doing my own for now any ways... till I find the place for a lovely garden spot .... an acre is good enough for practice...

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

28 Mar '10 3:43 pm
These are very helpful, Jack. Well done. I actually think your old map conforms to what the satellite shows very well.

With the first photo-map, the one with the names of the many garden rooms/areas labeled I can find every detail. I never realized your house was on a different dam than that of the big house. Are there three dams because the land falls away steeply? Which one has the classic white arching bridge?

It's a sign of the amount of energy you still possess that you get out to explore other areas when all the exercise you could ever need can had without crossing your boundaries. So great for your dogs.

I hear a lot about people having horticultural excursions to the fynbos area of South Africa. If you were close enough you'd have a waiting list a mile long.

I'm impressed with how many projects you have going at once, Jack. Designing other people's gardens, establlishing garden blog all while constructing lodging. No wonder you had to retire from teaaching. How else would you ever be able to keep up with all your work?
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

jack two

31 Mar '10 7:13 am
Hi there, Mark!

I looked for this comment all over my blog, and in the process discovered that if I click on your name there, it takes me straight to your flickr page. How handy! And how TERRIBLY behind I am with what you've been posting there :roll: :oops: :shock: ...

Then I realised that I was of course looking for a Moosey's comment from you... thanks for this: it is reassuring to hear something like you've said when one is feeling overwhelmed by all you are NOT achieving. And you've left out one very time-consuming activity: I'm 3/4 way through my year as Rotary president!

The white bridge is on the upper dam, in the 'corner' across from my cottage. There are two big dams plus the little waterlily pond which is above the watercourse and fed from the house water fountain and a pipe from the dam in front of my house. It lies on the Beech Borders axis. The third big dam downstream on the drawn map (which was the first attempt off the google earth photo) is on my cousin's property. There are four more dams in the 1/2 mile or so upstream.

As for the fynbos - it is spectacular and deserving of its fame. But many other areas - like our own - are under-recognised and deserve to be more widely known. It is one of my many missions to do something about it. And my plan is to bring garden/flora tourists to South Africa and either pass them on to other toour operators in the fynbos areas or take them there myself. But I wish to work with small groups of 2-6 that can fit into one vehicle and be treated more like house guests than tourists. And the fynbos is 2000km away, so it would be quite a drive!

Plans plans plans... There are also days when all I want to do is sell it all up and do ... well, whatever it is that people do when they aren't busy doing what I'm doing :?

jack two

31 Mar '10 7:14 am
Hi there, Mark!

I looked for this comment all over my blog, and in the process discovered that if I click on your name there, it takes me straight to your flickr page. How handy! And how TERRIBLY behind I am with what you've been posting there :roll: :oops: :shock: ...

Then I realised that I was of course looking for a Moosey's comment from you... thanks for this: it is reassuring to hear something like you've said when one is feeling overwhelmed by all you are NOT achieving. And you've left out one very time-consuming activity: I'm 3/4 way through my year as Rotary president!

The white bridge is on the upper dam, in the 'corner' across from my cottage. There are two big dams plus the little waterlily pond which is above the watercourse and fed from the house water fountain and a pipe from the dam in front of my house. It lies on the Beech Borders axis. The third big dam downstream on the drawn map (which was the first attempt off the google earth photo) is on my cousin's property. There are four more dams in the 1/2 mile or so upstream.

As for the fynbos - it is spectacular and deserving of its fame. But many other areas - like our own - are under-recognised and deserve to be more widely known. It is one of my many missions to do something about it. And my plan is to bring garden/flora tourists to South Africa and either pass them on to other toour operators in the fynbos areas or take them there myself. But I wish to work with small groups of 2-6 that can fit into one vehicle and be treated more like house guests than tourists. And the fynbos is 2000km away, so it would be quite a drive!

Plans plans plans... There are also days when all I want to do is sell it all up and do ... well, whatever it is that people do when they aren't busy doing what I'm doing :?

Return to My Garden Diaries