Mini Rose Crazy!

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Mini Rose Crazy!

3 Jun '06 11:12 am
Just before Mother's Day we were in Safeway to pick up some groceries. As soon as we came in the door, my wife spied a little cart covered with the cutest mini roses. Only $5 for a 4" pot and all sorts of colors. Well, we were a bit short that day so I said to her "Maybe next time." I was sad to have to say this but, you know, when food's important you gotta buy food and not flowers. So as we were cashing through the checkout, the cashier handed me a pull-tab lottery ticket. The store was having a promotion and we stood to win something. I handed the ticket to my wife, she popped it open and lo and behold, we won $10! Right away a big grin flashed across her face and started to vibrate and point towards the mini roses.

How could I refuse? It only took her half an hour to make her selection from the bunch. Actually, there were two pots of the same color that she really liked but prudence determined that she only took one. So now we had a mini rose, light pink and blush (2 of each in the same pot).

Well, just the other day we wandered into the local Canadian Tire (a hardware store for those of you who aren't familiar with it). They had a really nice garden center set up. The first thing that caught her eye was a flowering plum but at $25 it was out of reach. We happened to ask the clerk if they had any mini roses and she said they just got a shipment in that day! Well, I was lookin' at the cat that ate the canary. They were only $3 and change each. So the mini rose lover selected three real nice plants. And now, happiness reigns in the rose garden. Actually, we are planting the roses in pots. The first rose we got is already in a pot surrounded by impatiens. My wife wants to put the other 3 in one large pot, but she's not sure. She may want me to build separate pots for each color.

So, my fellow rose lovers, what can you tell me about mini roses? Are these just generic roses or do they have a name? The card in the pot says "Kordana Series". Is that the name of the rose? Any tips to growing these roses will be greatly appreciated.

Now, on with the show!

Christopher
rose first.jpg
The first rose. Lovely light pink and blush, but it does seem to bleach out in the sun.
rose pink.jpg
First of the three.
rose yellow.jpg
Second of three.
rose orange.jpg
The third lady of the bunch.
rose orange2.jpg
All right. Just one more.
rose first2.jpg
Okay, one more of the new pot.
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

comments on mini roses

4 Jun '06 12:27 am
Hi again Christopher!

Mini roses are a brilliant new development. A few words of caution though: they are basically cuttings, or perhaps 'buddings', of miniature roses that have been hormone-treated to flower when short and at a very young age. They are cheap because they have spent a very short but intensive time being looked after before being sold. They are intended for indoor decoration, and most people throw them out when they lose vigour. In South Africa there are usually 5 roses to a 6inch pot selling at around US$5.50

I for one have discovered them to be an excellent source of cheap roses however! They need careful treatment though: beware the impatiens! I would say there is a very good chance they will swamp your rose!!

Some I have had huge success with, others succumbed to fungus or listlessness. I bought 4 pots of 5 each in spring (ie October 05) and planted them out singly into 6 inch pots - standing them at first in my polytunnel, then outside. All 20 thrived and by late summer the tallest was over two foot, and flowering away! They are bright red and I intend to use them in my Jewel Garden, an upcoming project originally due for completion in September, now due to start in December :( and be completed heaven knows when... :roll:

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Thank you for the info, Jack.

4 Jun '06 4:52 am
I have found what you say to be very interesting. I always wondered how mini roses came to be. It's a neat trick. With the hormones I mean. It's amazing what can be done.

So we have made changes to our plans for our mini rose collection, based on what you have told us. We are going to do like you and get 20 6" pots. We will get a red rose to bring our plant count up to 20. I propose to get some chemicals to help the little roses, like perhaps a fungal preventer and special rose food and prepare the new soil with those. I think this will give the little ladies the best chance. We will also keep them in the greenhouse out of the scorching hot sun of the afternoon, but still getting the morning sun.

Do you think I should look for more hormone treatment for them.

This will be my first rose transplanting operation so any tips/instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Christopher the rose-loving gnome
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

nancy
valued helper
Utah, USA

4 Jun '06 9:35 am
That is very interesting info about minature roses in grocery stores! I had no idea they were treated in that manner. I have miniature roses ,but I have bought all of mine from mail order nuseries. You can get named varieties and some rose hybridizers only breed minatures. My favorite mail order is Nor East minis, in the USA. However named varieties are usually more expensive. I think yours are very beautiful but I might give them more sun. (I think they must be in some shade now because you are putting them next to impatiens, which are shade plants).My favorite mini is called "Little Artist". I think it was hybridized by Sam Mcgredy, who is based in NZ. I wish I could post a picture of it but my internet is so slow it takes forever to load photographs. (However I hope to upgrade soon!) Good luck !

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Miniature Roses

5 Jun '06 1:39 am
Dear Christopher,

I have many miniature Roses, the most of them living planted in the garden as their tall cousins. These ones living in the garden, are the happiest ones! I treat them exactly like their cousins, except from their prunning which is actually a light treaming.

Now; those planted in pots are more capriciosas! They hate water logging for example, which might turn out to be fatal! So, what do I do?? At the planting time I choose a pot suited just for their size, or I plant 3 of them together in a somehow larger pot. In this way, the three of them absorb more humidity, therefore balance in humidity. Plus, extra perfect draining conditions!! Preventively, at the planting time I add some antifungus powder in their compost mixture.During winter , I leave them near a wall outside the house, sometimes covering the pots with special plastic cloth, in order to protect their root system.

I present you here the photos of two of my miniature unknown Roses. The one I bought in the S. Market has a funny story : Bought during winter for the living room , got very sick with red spider mite. I sprayed it and placed it in my heated glass house until Spring; where it became ...gorgeous! I decided to give it a special place in one of my mixed borders in the garden ! And here it became the Rose you see here, about 70cm tall!

The other unknown little darling reminds me of Joseph's Coat huge Rose, with its changing colour of blooms.
Jardin juliet 2005,apres la plui 053.jpg
Unknown beauty in the pot! A friend's present.
Unknown miniature Rose.jpg
An unknown Hybrid Tea style beauty , bought as Miniature in the S. Market.
Lovely miniature Rose.jpg
Another picture of the unknown "miniature" Hybrid Tea, which became a garden Rose, 70cm tall!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

naturedar
valued contributor
St. Paul, Minnesota

mini rose crazy

6 Jun '06 12:32 am
I love your jardin juliettes, Liza! (Neat, my four years of learning French in college did pay off). Love any flowers with mixed hues of orange and pink or yellow. In fact, my kitchen is orange, and when the sun comes in, it's glorious. I also have crystals hanging in the windows, so during certain parts of the day they cast rainbows across my walls.

I have wild roses growing in my yard on the boulevard by the sidewalk. Started with a fledgling plant I "rescued" that I thought would never survive, and now it's flourished so much, it's also sprouted so many offshoots, I have to keep cutting them down to save my joe-pye-weed and others in the same area. Short blooming season, but so beautiful while they're there. But no, they aren't orange... they're a beautiful pink.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

6 Jun '06 10:42 pm
Dear Darlene,

it is so funny really, that you noticed the French underneath the photo! You know, here in Waterloo/Belgium, like in the whole southern Belgium, people speak formally French (but also know to communicate in English and Flemish -the other national language, formal language of the northern Belgium). So, sometimes, instinctively, I express myself in French, even in the written speech, for the photos. And, yes, I would say it is kind, and practical, and useful speaking languages, especially the languages of your gentle and beautiful host country --- I came here from Greece 11 years ago. Flemish is SO difficult for my brains, though...

And on the gardening level, I suggest to you an adorable orange-flowered little plant , a perennial /frost hardy ( I don't know if it survives the Minnesotan winters, though): Mimulus "Orange Glow ", from Mimulus Magic Series . It is an adorable little darling! Here it is , although you cannot admire the gorgeous blooms in close up.
Mimulus Orange Glow.jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Mini Rose Crazy!

26 Feb '16 11:27 pm
GardenGnome wrote: . . How could I refuse? It only took her half an hour to make her selection from the bunch. Actually, there were two pots of the same color that she really liked but prudence determined that she only took one. So now we had a mini rose, light pink and blush (2 of each in the same pot) . .

waleeed1 wrote:How could I refuse? It only took her half an hour to make her selection from the bunch. Actually, there were two pots of the same color that she really liked but prudence determined that she only took one. So now we had a mini rose, light pink and blush (2 of each in the same pot)

The coincidences are simply astounding. :roll:

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum