Rose cuttings

Rosieprimrose
helper

Rose cuttings

30 Oct '14 12:48 pm
Hello, I am new to the forum, from Wellington, now living in Australia and about to return home to New Zealand and start another garden.
Been a gardenaholic for 30 years and roses are my first love. Over the years I must have taken hundreds of cuttings from my roses, with mixed success, noticed with "Iceburg" I usually have 99% success rate, however this year had an interesting discovery and would welcome comments, made me think that all these years I may have been done things wrong.
Please note, I do live in the warm humid heat of Australia and my soil is (Sadly) sand based. After pruning my "Iceburgs"I must have missed picking up a few of the cut canes from the garden. Two months later when digging I found these off cuts lying in the ground and to my surprise they had rooted all along the length of the cane!!!! I cut the length into five pieces and all have taken and now have leaves. I alway take my cuttings buy poking the cut end into the soil, this was a real surprise find. Anyone take cuttings by placing the length lying on the ground? or was this a one off do you think! It certainly would be a way of getting many more cutting from the one piece of cane! :D

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Rose cuttings

2 Nov '14 5:40 pm
Wow, Rosie I've never heard of layering rose cuttings. Well done you! I have had dreadful luck with rose cuttings, but I've never tried cuttings from my Icebergs. May be I should try again...

We would love photos of your garden...

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

4 Nov '14 2:26 am
I know very little about roses. I have heard of layered cuttings. I've never intentionally tried it but I have noticed some plants tend to do it by themselves. What an interesting find with your rose prunings! Were they under leaves or mulch or completely on the surface?

moosey
head gardener

5 Nov '14 8:07 am
Sounds like a very lucky discovery. Those plant pieces were just desperate to grow for you! Nice... Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum