Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

Re: Can You ID This Rose?

11 May '12 2:19 pm
Have a look at google images and ask for "Mme Gregoire Staechelin" and then have a look at "Albertine" I can't find the distinct coral buds on either, but gee the flowers look similar, tho Albertine is more apricot pink, but, you know it depends on the weather, what you fed them, when you fed them, how your mother dressed you - they can vary that much.
Took us years to identify Mme Leonie in Dobell's garden, because no one had fed, watered sprayed or paid any attention to the poor thing. When we did, she had 25-odd petals instead of the pathetic 10 or 12 which was all that she had the strength to produce. The petals were never darker than a washed out pale pink and when she burst into the beauty she was, with the Azalea color on the petal edges, I got asked if it was the same rose! I sent a photo to Ross Roses in Willunga, South Australia and they came back with the goods!

How big is the flower? About the same as Mme Leonie?
Gabi

p.s I love doing this?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

12 May '12 8:21 am
Gosh Gabi you're a gem! Thanks so much for putting in such an effort.

I'm afraid I'm not convinced it's your Madam Gregory rose but goodness it's close. Albertine is a real old favourite here in NZ, I know it well enough to know my mystery rose is not her.

I think the deep clear coral pink buds are key.

Again, thanks for having a go! 8)

hedgenursery
valued member

18 Jul '12 10:59 pm
I am very sure these blossoms are on their own roots as I keep in thoughts previous times owner showing me they were all clothing from cuttings along this fenceline. Of course, I might have got it wrong...

Gabi

19 Jul '12 1:43 am
Mme Gregoire Staechelin! Have a look at that one on the net. It is similar but it doesn't have the messy petals. I wont give up!
Gabi

Gabi

19 Jul '12 2:02 am
Call me persistant, but it is Albertine!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 Jul '12 8:36 am
Hi again Gabi! You're like the terrier of the rose identification world!

Gosh you know it really is close to Albertine huh?

This spring I'll have another look. It's growing in appalling conditions along a fenceline that has become over run with tree and shrub weeds like privet. It would poke a few tendrils through the mess and flower largely without notice as I (wrongly) assumed it was another Mme Leonie Viennot. Once we chopped back the bushes a bit it grew and flowered much more strongly (no suprise there!) and I realised my error.

This winter we are putting in a big effort to clear some of the fenceline and I will prune and train the rose. I hope it will flower even better this spring!

Gabi

22 Jul '12 3:59 pm
I think I found it! I looked at China roses as I noticed they were a bit messy looking, and one site mentioned that most of the Chinas came from Climbing stock which is why they grow so Big! I think it is Le Vesuve or if not one, of the other Chinas.

rosefog.us/PrunedRoses/PrunedRoses.htm

I found it on the above site, have a look!

Gabi

Gabi

22 Jul '12 4:01 pm
Oh, and read the pruning advice carefully, they are not meant to be hacked down, apparently.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

22 Jul '12 10:24 pm
I had a jolly good look at the rose you mentioned and other Chinas too. Le Vesuve is too deep a colour I think. My rose is messy like that and has a tight bud like that too but is not as saturated in colour. It's more washy.

I couldn't find any other China that looks like it either...

But I thank you once again dear Gabi for pursuing this with such tenacity.

One thing I did find during my rose trawlling is that I MUST plant either Louis XIV or Tradescant. Or perhaps both?

8)

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

2 Aug '12 6:57 am
Just got to read this thread, and tho I don't know the rose, am happier you like her better than the posting aeons ago about them being just old pink roses! But I dither, wanted to say "Rose Trawling" is the very most apt and accurate phrase for this activity - in books or on the net!! Cool! (Refuse to use the demonic-looking smilie.) Am even more impressed you came away desiring a mere two! Noticed after "reading" Austin's "Old Roses" that I was dutifully noting what amounted to each and every rose on my trusty pad of paper! Hmmm.

And. Gaby IS quite good (Hello, Gaby!) I just thought I'd look for your rose in my book "The Rose Advisor" by Brent C. *. Mistake. Am immediately oohhing, ahhhhing and HOLY Moleys that is a gorgeeous rose!
So sorry. :wink:

love, b.

PreviousNext

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum