Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Can You ID This Rose?

3 Aug '12 8:45 am
Hello there B!

Yes rose trawling is a dangerous affair alright! I may have admitted to wanting only two but in truth I was seduced by several more. I've already bought two more white climbers - the old fashioned Mme Alfred Carriere and a new hybrid named after the NZ mountaineer Sir Edmund Hilary.

Plus I am on the look out for the old Eden rose too...

And I also would like a William Shakespeare 2000...

So I wasn't being entirely truthful at all!

moosey
head gardener

4 Aug '12 6:06 pm
Cool! I've just planted Sir Ed in the orchard, decided it was time I showed my support and all that. He looks a bit girlie, though...

Enjoy! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

5 Aug '12 10:19 am
It seems the rose is heavily scented and very robust. On hearing the rose was to be named after him, Sir Ed supposedly said something like 'a smelly climber - I guess that's fitting'. :D

Do you grow Mme A Carriere? I want to grow her along my verandah but I'm worried she may swallow the whole thing...

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

5 Aug '12 7:23 pm
Go Sir Ed ! ;) (And Moosey and Kerole - though please, ladies, not for the same reason!)

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

7 Aug '12 10:36 pm
Hi, RioB.

Rose trawling is like browsing in a candy store - you want them all! I still think Kerole's rose is a china/tea climber of some sort. The red buds are also very reminiscent of Clair Matin, but the petals don't seem to match.

I am so glad you are going to give the pretty thing a bit of encouragement - mind you, have you seen how big they get?!!

There is a site in my bookmarks for a lady living in South Australia, called Yvonne, who has the most gorgeous rose garden, but the things that will get you drooling are her photographs! There is a book called "Naming the Rose" which contains photos of roses that are nearly all hers. Divine, I got it from the library last week and shamelessly scanned at least 6! I can't do the link thing - Look up "White roses down under" Should get her.

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

10 Aug '12 1:28 am
Gabi! Bless you for not being able to do the link thing, she says as it is one of many, so sorry, many things on puter that she can't do! "She" being me, myself and I. :roll:

I don't know how long you've been visiting Lady Moosey's, she has over three hundred roses, Jack Two is a fine photographer with over four hundred, plus a multitude of other wonderful plants to see, and. Kerole takes fab pics, not to mention her gorgeous flower arrangements from her garden. She started the "What's in Your Vase?" thread in General Gardening Chat. If one could go straight to hell for wanting to snatch a certain bathroom window at her house, her favorite mare's foal this year, and the stirringly beautiful rose standards and agapanthus bordering her porch. . . . Hmm. Methinks I'd best stop there, as I could be quite light-fingered at Lady Moosey's, Jack also as in Two's, MacFlax's, and a fellow on Vancouver Island named Gordon who I do believe could get anything at all to grow! Oh,yes, all of these folks are fine photographers. Ahem! Will now try to find White Rose Down under Lady.

b.

Gabi

10 Aug '12 5:18 pm
Her name is Yvonne Arnold and she has her site on PBase. this (below)is the site for "Naming the Rose", the book which came out in 2009, well worth a look. her site has hundreds of galleries, (she travels a bit, too)

http://www.pbase.com/yvonneii/rose_book

Enjoy yourself RioB (nice Cat).

She is a stunning Photographer and her Rose Photos will just have you all drooling. She doesn't have all the varieties, only 500 or so(choke)!

I paint, see, and her photos are in my gallery just waiting to be reproduced, and a good few of the ones here, too, specially yours, Kerole.

Gabi
Last edited by Gabi on 10 Aug '12 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Aug '12 5:26 pm
Good lord Gabi. That sight ate up a great chunk of my morning and I've only sampled a little of it! Lovely photos for sure.

Gabi

28 Nov '13 12:42 am
I have been trawling through the site for some while and your unknown pink climber which I, so far, seem to have positively identified as something that it apparently isn't. Its a wonder we aren't all stone blind!

I still think she looks like Anna Olivier, I have a photo in my collection that found tonight and gee it looks the same. I will say that she is a real goer and will climb and in fact has, to the top of the Fijian Fire plant, so she can get her buds into the light. In a sunny spot, she stays about waist high.

That will have to be it!

Love all, nitey night.
Gabi
8be8eb Pink Pillar.jpg
This is Pink Pillar, the colors are similar, but the petals bigger and frillier.
Rose, Anna Oliver.jpg
This is a painting of Anna Oliver, someone has done and it is spot on!
bottlebrush and roses Oct 2012 003_opt.jpg
Looks the same? This is one from my 2012 garden.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

28 Nov '13 6:08 am
:oops: :oops: Gabi my dear you are a gem. I have conceded to greater rosarians both in flesh and forum (yourself!) that the pink climber is indeed Albertine. Last weekend sealed it for me - a trip to a fantastic private garden that had Albertine all along the front entrance fence. Same rose in every way.

:oops: I fought you hard on that if I remember right, but you were right all along. Which reminds me, I really must take some photos of her and bring some buds inside. Her late spring flowering is the only time she looks this good.

I wonder if you could turn your rosy detective skills to the very yellow shrub rose I posted about on my thread recently? A cheeky request I know, especially considering my history of being a bit contrarian on the matter! 8)

Previous

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum