Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Can You ID This Rose?

1 Dec '11 4:54 pm
Help - I have this rose growing along one of our pasture fences. For years I have assumed it was Madam Leonie Viennot but on closer inspection, it definitely is not!

It's a tough climber with moderate thorns and mid to dark green foliage. The flowers are soft pink and old fashioned but not cabbagy or quartered. The stamens are not visible because of some small petals in the middle. They have a gentle rosy smell. The buds are gorgeous - deep clear coral pink, sharp and clean but they don't last for long before opening.

Does anyone know this rose?
pink climber.JPG
pink climber2.JPG
pink climber3.JPG
pink climber4.JPG
pink climber5.JPG

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Re: Can You ID This Rose?

25 Jan '12 1:05 am
Kerole, why are you certain it is not Madame LV? It could be, except the pink seems a bit 'flat' - I remember it as slightly more multi-coloured.

Later: I see you posted on it in 'what's in your vase?' - so a direct comparison showed it to be another rose?

My suggestion is see what is of similar stock to MLV in an old-rose book and try to ID it from there.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

25 Jan '12 9:42 am
Thanks Jack, I have been trying all over webspace to find a similar rose.

I know it's not MLV - there is a MLV growing on the same fenceline only 15 meters away. They have a similar growth habit, colour, and flowering time so at a glance I thought they were the same. But this rose has a much pinker hue (MLV has yellowy/apricot tones in the center) and has many more petals, especially in the centre. Also the canes are thornier than MLV and not as disease free.

Now, approaching mid summer, it has totally finished flowering and has already got a few bits of blackspot :(

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

25 Jan '12 5:47 pm
Hmmm. I'll take a look through my old rose books...

moosey
head gardener

29 Jan '12 9:42 am
Aha! Could it be a sport of MLV? Or - and I reckon this has happened to me - a MLV on different rootstock. I've had same-named roses with differences in flower colour and different coloured foliage, and I've usually 'blamed' the rootstock. Diffent balance of hormones, that sort of thing... Sounds feasible?

It's like blaming the bees for the pansy colours, isn't it!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

31 Jan '12 7:44 am
Interesting idea Moosey.

I am pretty sure these roses are on their own roots as I remember the previous owner telling me they were all gown from cuttings along this fenceline. Of course, I might have got it wrong... :)

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

8 May '12 10:50 pm
Sorry to be so late I don't recall getting notice of any of the replies. never mind, these things happen and with the internet? Well, we all know the answer to that!
No, she's not Mme Leonie, not enough yellow in the centre and the edges are always a darker pink than the next layer down. Plus there aren't that many petals on Leonie and hers are larger.

It looks like one I bought for Dobell house about 8 years ago called Anna Oliver. Not well known, but flowers enormously and repeatedly with a gentle but noticeable fragrance. I have one myself, but she is not in bloom at the moment, I may have some pics in the gallery. I'll look for you. Back Soon

Gabi

Gabi

8 May '12 10:52 pm
Are the petals a darker pink on the reverse when they open but fade later?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 May '12 8:10 am
Hi Gabi!!

You're never too late to join this party - all help is hugely appreciated.

There are some more pics of this rose in a vase here...

http://forums.mooseyscountrygarden.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2064&start=100

Scroll down to the bottom photos.
:D

Gabi

11 May '12 1:47 pm
I didn't read your description properly! Anna Oliver(Olivier?) is not a climber. I have seen this one somewhere.
Isn't it irritating, I can't leave it alone. I have a friend who is always forgetting what is planted in his garden and as he takes super photos , I will ask what the name is, and off I go again!

There is one like Mme Leonie, and flowers in spring, it's on the tip of my tongue! Bugger! A name like Gregory, madame something?

If someone has a light go on, let me know - I'll be back!

Next

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum