Rugosa Rose 'George Will'

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

Rugosa Rose 'George Will'

7 Nov '11 5:48 pm
Hi Moosey
My 'George Will' is budding nicely but when it starts to open the petals are deformed and do not develop properly, it is such a beautiful 'Rugosa' with a lovely 'clove' perfume....Any ideas as to what is going on. The foliage is in tip top condition and free of bugs etc....

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Rugosa Rose 'George Will'

7 Nov '11 8:53 pm
I'm certainly no rose expert but sometimes lots of rain can make the buds open all distorted, especially the cabbage type roses with many petals. I wouldn't have thought a tough old rugosa wouldn't be affected by such things though...

moosey
head gardener

26 Nov '11 7:26 am
Nor me. Rugosas are supposed to be so tough that they'll grow besides traffic motorways, and the sea, etc. Wouldn't suggest that you drove your car back and forth past the rose, though! Sorry, not really sure at all. One would suspect an invisible bug...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

candid
valued helper
Otane, Central Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

27 Nov '11 3:54 pm
Hi Guys and Gals
'George Will' has got over whatever ailed him and blooming lovely, I think it may have been hit by something invisible but not too scary, think he is over his 'hiccup'.

Our local Herb and Garden Club had a members garden ramble on Thursday we visited 5 very diverse types of gardens, one being my own. Had a lovely day despite the rain, thankfully though the strong winds didn't arrive til Friday.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

27 Nov '11 5:03 pm
Hey, not fair!! Five gardens and no photos? We'd love to see too... :D

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum