Banksiae Lutea- help please

Graham Williams

Banksiae Lutea- help please

29 Dec '10 7:41 pm
I planted one of these roses Feb 2009 and it has shown strong growth and looks very healthy but has never yet flowered. I fed it suitable feed earlier this year. It has not been pruned since planting.
Is there anything I should do or just leave it until next Spring to see if it will flower?
Your advice would be appreciated.
Graham. - Queenstown

moosey
head gardener

Re: Banksiae Lutea- help please

29 Dec '10 8:05 pm
Hmm... Strange. As long as you're not pruning it I can't really see why this rose is not flowering. Sorry - am no expert, and can't think why it should be so slow to bloom. How many springs do you think you can wait?

Seriously, hopefully someone else will know what to do - if anything.
All the best, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jimmyjack

12 Dec '12 6:11 pm
Morning Dixie. Your kitchen view is lovely. Those strawberries look very healthy. And yummy! Leander clearly likes it there - it is smothered in blooms!

Dixie, you grow a wee rose called Sparkler don't you? (Or am I thinking of another poster?). I greatly admire this rose and was wondering is it true white with white buds and does it repeat flower?

Hope you're in for another lovely sunny day down in the Waikato. :)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

13 Dec '12 7:10 am
Hi Jimmy. Nice to have you pop in.

Sadly, Dixie hasn't posted here for quite some time so you may not get an answer from her directly. However some time ago I also asked her the exact same questions regarding Sparkler and she told me it was pure white from bud to full blown and flowered on and off all summer/autumn. She grows it as a standard and it looks lovely. I have often admired it in her pictures.

Hope to hear more from you Jimmy - perhaps some news of your own gardening endeavours?

8)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

13 Dec '12 7:14 am
Hmmm - it appears Jimmy's post above was a cut and paste of one of my own! How jolly annoying to be sucked into a spam attack. That has made me even grumpier than I already was...

moosey
head gardener

13 Dec '12 8:15 am
No, no. Kerole - Jimmy the Cut'n'Paste man ain't worth it. Tell you what - I could send you some secret Gunnera seedlings (little darlings, so cutesy when they're small) to cheer you up? You would make a good Gunnera foster-mother? Aagh! Cheers anyway! M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

13 Dec '12 7:34 pm
Thanks for the offer Moosey, and the laugh!

I will politely decline the invitation to become a foster mother for your surplus Gunneras. Once upon a time I would have jumped at the chance - I had a devil of a time getting any to grow by my pond. But now I have three nice mature clumps that are ready to spawn their own little darlings on the unsuspecting neighbours that live down stream.

:evil:

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum