jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

"KORberbeni" for the Birthday Rose garden

24 Mar '09 7:22 am
Known here as 'South Africa', no rose ever more deserved patriotic fervour than this one! I see in the UK it is called 'Golden Beauty'. Ludwig, our greatest rosarian, simply says of it: 'A new class of rose' - totally disease free and free flowering, it is, I believe, the most important new (2001) rose since 'Iceberg'.

Hunt it down, Moosey! DoM deserves it!

See http://www.mattocks.co.uk/RVEad80dddd1a ... 390,,.aspx for a supplier's comments on it.

moosey
head gardener

24 Mar '09 7:37 am
Aha! Something tells me that we are behind the rose times - though, in terns of real time we're ahead... Have just googled, New Zealand style, to find this rose - and am presented with a page of New Zealand apple growing sites. Hmm... A slight exaggeration, but not a positive beginning. Will refine my search... Have TWO DAYS until the birthday...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

24 Mar '09 6:25 pm
"Splendidly non-coniferous" says Moosey of NZ in her Cloud Farm story...

I know we have few conifers in the Southern hemisphere (well compared to the North, anyway.) But now I find out that NZ not only lacks native mammals, the 'newest' fauna (still trying to get my head round that one), but also conifers, just about the 'oldest' flora. No wonder the gardeners are a little odd - the country sure is! :D

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Of Mammals and Conifers...

25 Mar '09 7:20 am
Hi Jack.

About NZ and its lackings. Sadly we do not have any mammals. As an animal nutter (I'm particularly partial to the unusual, furry kind) I find this greatly bothersome. :( But we DO have conifers - some of our most spectacular native trees (such as the towering Kauri) are conifers. :) Or are they actually some type of pseudo-conifer :?: Hmmm, I don't think I've got this wrong...

moosey
head gardener

Conifers and Kauris...

25 Mar '09 7:34 am
Pretty sure you're right, Kerole. They're just not the diny little blobby conifers that can be planted in the garden, the sort that Jack understands. Well, they could be planted - for a gardener who had planned to be frozen like they did in Star Wars and come back 500 years later. Oops - I think I'm showing my age...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

Aha. OK.

25 Mar '09 10:17 pm
That makes more sense! I thought it might relate to that whole Middle Earth thing you guys are so proud of - you know: no Old Earth, no New Earth. Or have I got it wrong again? Is Middle Earth geographic or chronologic?

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Hello Southhemispherers,

9 Apr '09 6:31 am
Greetings from the coniferous and mammal-besodden great Northern hemisphere. I just stumbled upon this thread and then continued to stumble trying to follow it. I fear the conversation here has really gone South or perhaps it only seems so from up here. Before I discovered Moosey's I wondered how you all managed to keep from falling off the planet altogether and out into the void. It seems the more time I spend here the more I'm tempted to grab hold of something to avoid falling into the void myself.

I came here looking for the lastest postings of Jack to alert him to the fact that I have finally drawn a plan of my garden and posted it here. Ta dah! Well actually not right here but over on my Garden Growing in California thread. I await his feedback and that of any of you who are learned in this kind of thing. As you will see I am a naive drawer of map/plans. Too much info? Too little?

Well please excuse the incursion on your conversation. Sorry for not exactly understanding all of it. I trust the birthday celebrant received either a really good rose or an acceptable alternative.

Buhbye,

Mark
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

moosey
head gardener

This Thread has turned into a Map Discussion

9 Apr '09 10:20 am
Ha! He who stumbles sees more of the path! Or she...

I checked your map out, Mark, and was extremely impressed. It looks just like a map I've been trying to draw of a network of paths. I actually got a fancy library book out once and was heartened - lots of 'them' used freehand, and coloured pencils, like me. Hmm...

So the further south one goes the sillier one gets? Hee hee... All the best with your maps and your spring.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

Silliness

10 Apr '09 8:33 am
Silliness, if my maths serves me correctly, is a function of longitude, not latitude. The further east one goes, the sillier one gets...

moosey
head gardener

10 Apr '09 9:18 am
Aargh! Neverending silliness! Or is it a geometric sequence of sillinesses - with a sum to infinity...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum