hedgenursery
valued member

Re: Yet Another Unknown Rose...

18 Jul '12 11:01 pm
Roses Pictures are really beautiful. Some of these i am seeing first time....
i didn't know about these type of roses...

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

8 Sep '12 1:02 am
Moosey, I have been looking at the lovely peachy apricot rose in your Old Fashioned Group and that's not Mme Leonie. The leaves are very like a 'Peace' rose or one of its sports. Mme Leonie has no peach or apricot in her petals.

There are a quite a number of sports of 'Peace' I will look some up. I have to keep busy, can't help myself! Oh and Mme L. has always been a climber, no sports of bush roses.

Gabi

8 Sep '12 1:56 am
I had a little look for versions of what you named as Mme Leonie, while i was doing it, I came across a pink climber that looks a lot like yours.

Look up "High Hopes"

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Sep '12 2:50 pm
Now I haven't looked at the rose your refering to in Mooseys garden but I think I may need to disagree re Mme leonie having no peach in her petals...

My Leones all have soft pinky petals that are apricoty-yellow near the centre. The overall effect is a gentle pink that errs on the side of peach.

Gabi

10 Sep '12 3:23 pm
I agree, Kerole; but the rose shown has the peach already in the petal, not the effect of a blend. The gold in M L is well down in the centre of the rose. You get a shimmering effect when they are in full colour, lovely.

Moosey, dear, can you give us another photo of your Mme Leonie to compare it?

The Weather has been glorious this last weekand I got to the roses in time to feed & spray and i think they are looking OK.

I think that my four climbers are making it hard for the bush roses in front of them - was that not a good idea?
They are shrinking away and not thriving at all. Two I had saved from Dobell House and they have huge bud unions and only tiny areas left to sprout with.. Queen Elizabeth and Tiffany..I am afraid I can't save them again as I have nowhere to put them. Seduction and Sunlit are new and I can put them in the front Garden.

I will plant the front of the Rose Arbour with Iris and Salvia, I think, doesn that sound all right, if not, some hints would be good.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 Sep '12 7:28 am
Have you tried giving the bud union a bit of a scrubbing to remove any old bark and gunk? This often stimulates new canes to come away. But this usually done in the dormant months.

I think your rose arbour plans sound lovely. Where are the photos? We want photos, we want photos...!!

:D

Gabi

11 Sep '12 9:05 am
Okay, Okay! The rose arbor is only doing a little bit so far, but I am hopeful. Wouldn't you know, beautiful weather for a week and when I want to get some good photos, it's as grey out as an old tomcat!
Leonie has lots of buds, Peace has a few, Buff Beauty, will bloom later.

No, truly, Kerole, I literally have no more room for roses. I can only just take care of them now, a new garden will be over the top for me. I would rather plant the front of the Arbour, which gets good sun, with my purple Iris, which has struggled with the only other spots I could plant it. Something else was always shading the roots and they didn't thrive. I put a few in one corner of the metresquare Lime tree plot and it took off like Apollo! After two years I had to pull it out; as you know, Citrus don't like greedy company.

The clouds may be clearing, I think that was a bit of fog, I will get some pics later today, I hope.

Gabi

Previous

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum