Iceberg Rose Shrub or Climbing

suzanne
contributor

Iceberg Rose Shrub or Climbing

22 Jul '08 6:02 am
I am very new to roses and was told the Iceberg Roses are very hardy and don't require all the upkeep as other roses. I recently purchased four 5 gallon iceberg climbing roses. I have had them for 3 weeks and I don't see any sign of them starting to climb. The are flowering great, however, they seem to be more like a shrub than a climber. Is there a way to tell, or do I just need to give them more time?

Thank you!

Suzanne

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Icebergs

23 Jul '08 7:50 am
The first year Iceberg roses just sit around.Leave them as they are.The second year they will start to move.The thing is with Icebergs is not to prune them-just a general tidy,as if you cut them back too far they will revert to bush form-I found that out once.
I am sorry I do not know about the bees that are eating your Icebergs.(soapy water over the leaves to deter them perhaps?)
Dixie.

suzanne
contributor

Iceberg

24 Jul '08 6:38 am
Thank you so much for your reply. I will leave them be until next year (hopefully, they can withstand the bees)!!

Suzanne

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Icebergs and bees

26 Jul '08 6:43 am
Hi Suzanne,

You don't give any indication where in the world you are gardening, so I can't be sure about either answer. Dixie may be right in her replies to you about Iceberg roses being climbers if left alone. I have two Iceberg varieties that are both definitely shrub roses. Neither has ever thrown up any long canes. As for leaf cutter bees, I have never had a problem with bees doing damage to my roses. However, here in the southern U.S. we have a real problem with Japanese Beetles who chew up both new foliage and the rose blossoms as well. They can be very damaging, but only for about six weeks during the summer months. They go through a life cycle of larvae in the soil that emerge (usually in early July) as flying beetles. After feeding for about six weeks, they again drop to the ground and burrow in to lay eggs and start the whole process over for the next year.

The strictly organic method of dealing with them is to take a bucket of soapy water out, hold it under a branch where they are feeding and tap the branch. The beetles will drop straight down into the bucket of sudsy water, where they will drown. The non-organic method is spraying with a solution of Seven, an insectocide. Seven is non-selective and will kill any insects that contact it, so it will take out any beneficials along with the baddies.

Good luck with your roses.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

suzanne
contributor

Icebergs and Bees

26 Jul '08 7:14 am
Thank you Faith for your reply. I'm in Northern California in the Bay Area - Zone 9. The folks at the nursery told me about the beetles, but both my husband and I have witnesses (quite remarkable actually) the bees eating the leaves. The are extremely fast, cut out a circle of the leaf, holding on to it and off they go to their nests. A couple of days ago, I sprayed the bushes with a homemade soapy solution and it seems to be working. They visit the leaves, but the don't chew on them anymore. The entire 1/3 top of the leaves look like lace. Should I cut them all off? i'm concerned that there won't be enough shelter for the buds below. I guess I will need to wait until next year to see if I really have a shrub or a climber. The nursery told me they are climbers, but haven't seen any sign of it yet. Thanks again. I'm such a novice and really want to start getting into gardening, so i really appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply to my amateur emails.

Can I ask another question. How often should I be watering the icebergs. I've had them for 3 weeks now and they are 5 gallon. I have been watering twice a day, however, I'm starting to notice that the leaves at the bottom are turning yellow. Am I over-watering?

Thanks,

Suzanne

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Hello neighbor.

27 Jul '08 3:14 pm
Hi Suzanne. They definitely are bees. Don't they cut out perfect circles? I get them too. You don't have anything to worry about from them. Just be glad you don't have the beetles - which we definitely do not. The bees won't take away all that much. Roses are tough. If the holes they leave bother you just cut off those off. Of course, you might want to wait until right before you have visitors so they don't have to cut any more new ones right away.

I have two climbing Icebergs but I can't remember how long they took to settle in and take off. Given that yours was just planted this year you'll need to give it more water than ebmud wants you to now during the draught. But I would recommend watering less often and deeper. I'd put the hose-end near the base of the rose in the evening or early in the morning, turn the water on at a slow trickle and leave it on for a couple hours to let the water really soak in deep. If the water runs away from beneath the rose, turn the volume down. If the area isn't getting wet enough, turn it up. Do this every two or three days depending on how hot it gets. If you haven't already, you could put some mulch down a couple of inches deep -but not touching the stem- under the rose. Feed it monthly for more flowers or wait a year and let it put all its growing power into stems and roots.

It is always possible to be given the wrong rose. It's happened to me and to others I know. If the nursery is reputable I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it does next year. The nursery that messed up on a climber I bought was Berkeley Hort, so reputation is no guarantee.

Good luck,
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

suzanne
contributor

Hello neighbor

29 Jul '08 8:11 am
Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. One more question, I have tan bark around the roses, but should I be using a mulch specifically for roses?

Suzanne

Mark

29 Jul '08 9:05 am
I've heard that Redwood and Cedar bark mulches can draw the nitrogen in the soil away from your plants as they break down so I don't use them. For years I used a something sold by American Soil called Walt Whitman Mulch. Now a newer, less expensive company called Aculpulco Rock (sp?) has opened nearby and sells what I hope is a similar product for much less. These are both near the Central Avenue Avenue Exit of HWY 80, in El Cerrito near Richmond. I buy it a truckful at a time and use it for everything that doesn't need extra acid, but they also sell 1 and 2 cubic foot bags.
Mark in California

suzanne
contributor

Redwood Trees

11 Oct '08 5:11 am
Hi Mark,

You helped me with some of my questions regarding ice berg roses back in July. On a different note, I have 3 redwood trees that are 5 years old. They are green for a month in early spring, but then they turn brown the rest of the year. I think I told you that I live in Discovery Bay. A professional landscaper planted them, however, this is definitely not the right area for them. It's just too hot. Most people around here stick to Palm Trees. I am finally at the point that I want to get rid of them, however, I don't want to just dispose of them as I think they could do better in a climate that had more moisture. Would you be at all interested in them?

Let me know.

Suzanne

Mark

Thanks for the offer, neighbor.

11 Oct '08 3:22 pm
I don't think I have room for them but its tempting. We have one redwood now out along the creek but I can't really see any more areas flat enough or large enough to put in another.
Mark in California

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum