golden showers rose

mwgermantown

golden showers rose

4 Jun '07 2:57 am
Hi
I live in zone 6 and would like to plant a golden showers climbing rose on my second floor deck. I was planning on making a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft box out of pressure treated wood and lining it with 1" styrofoam on the bottom and all sides. I will drill a couple of dozen 3/8" holes in the bottom for drainage and air circulation. Is there anyone out there that has had such a success or do you think this will work? The box will get about 6 hrs of direct sun, mostly ahternoon and early evening. Soooooooooo what do you think?
MICKEY :roll: :idea:

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Go for it

4 Jun '07 3:13 am
I grew GS very successfully in less than 6hrs sun a day. I'm not too familiar with zones, but mine had to cope with regular subzero night temperatures and even funneled winds - so -4degrees? - without any problems. It also coped with summer heat.

Good luck!

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Wish you luck with your Golden Showers.

5 Jun '07 8:02 am
I currently grow it but am debating pulling the plug on it. It is more prone to more diseases than any rose I grow. Admittedly, part of the blame is mine for not cutting it back severely enough. I'm not a fan of the flower's form and the yellow color washes out almost immediately in full sun. So I don't recommend it.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Wish you luck with your Golden Showers.

5 Jun '07 8:03 am
I currently grow it but am debating pulling the plug on it. It is more prone to more diseases than any rose I grow. Admittedly, part of the blame is mine for not cutting it back severely enough. I'm not a fan of the flower's form and the yellow color washes out almost immediately in full sun. So I don't recommend it.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Return to Moosey's Rose Forum