Gerry
honoured helper
Southern Denmark

Flowering Jasmine

1 Sep '06 12:30 am
I am normally the world's greatest optimist, but tomorrow the month changes to September and a very small streak of pessimism shows for a brief moment. September heralds the start of autumn in my book, but I should like to share with you one of the bright summer spots in my garden before it is too late. I buy 2 flowering Jasmine every year and put them in large pots either side of my front door and they never disappoint. The secret is regular feeding and good support. Enjoy -- I do.
IM000384.JPG
Flowering Jasmine

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

1 Sep '06 6:24 am
Aren't they lovely! :D

Jasmine is a favourite because of it's perfume and the flower so delicate.

Unfortunately here in some parts of NZ it is rampant! It seems to be that the way to encourage it to grow and flower profusely is to fiercely chop it back with the hedge shears!

Then, if you are lucky, it may slow it for a few weeks O:)

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Hello, again Gerry!

1 Sep '06 6:35 am
Your Jasmin is lovely, adorable! A plant that reminds me of my ...perfumed childhood, especially during the warm summer nights...

You should know anyway, that instead of buying new Jasmins every year , you can do either of these things:

1-- To buy either : a) The Jasminum Officinale, the common frost hardy Jasmin (-10C), especially performing in our climates. It only becomes big , and starts having many flowers from its second year on. It blooms throughout the good season. It appreciates protected , warm spots, anyway.Or :
b) The Jasminum Beesianum, the "pink" frosthardy Jasmin (-10C). But this one only blooms once and really densely, in May-June. Or :
c) The Jasminum x Stephanese , the hardiest of all, -15C. It also has an abudance of "pink" blooms once, in June-July.

2-- To cut back your present, indoor variety Jasmins (:Jasminum Polyanthum), and let them hibernate in a light spot in your house. They will need very spare waterings and often watersprayings in this case. No plant food, of course, until Spring. But then, they will be extra happy , if you transplant them in slightly bigger pots with an extra good draining system.

Good luck, dear friend.

P.S. If you wish, you can google the frosthardy Jasmins in Google/Images.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

DrJimM
helper

Another jasmine

6 Aug '09 1:59 pm
I recently discovered a beautiful flowing shrub called Florida Jasmine or Crape Jasmine. I don't see any such on this forum. I bought one and liked it so much that I went back for the only other 3 they had. Beautiful dark green foliage and lovely, fragrant white blossoms that resemble gardenias. The things have bloomed continuously since April. Since they will freeze down this winter, but come back in the spring, I will put them in my greenhouse with all their friends, the hibiscus, shefflera, and others. Here are a couple of photos of this lovely plant.

DrJimM
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Zone 8B
DSCN1306.JPG
DSCN1307.JPG
DSCN1309.JPG

jremstuart
helper

Re: Flowering Jasmine

9 Apr '10 12:14 am
Jasmine is best known for its delicate white or yellow flowers that give off a sweet fragrance, usually in the evening after sunset. Native to warm, tropical regions, jasmine makes a great.I like Jasmine very much.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

9 Apr '10 8:07 am
That's not even close to being a genuine post... :evil:

MatthewWilliam
valued member

6 Aug '10 12:38 am
It comes in several flower colors--including white, pink, and purple--and is a staple in both hummingbird and butterfly gardens. I think it’s lovely.

sss88
helper

16 Aug '10 6:19 pm
To ensure the cestrum flowers throughout the year, ensure the plant is kept compact. This will help encourage flowers rather than leaves to grow! Ensure the specimen has plenty of sunlight and ventilation. Feed once a week with a phostrogen feed to help encourage flowers.
The optimum pH is 6.5
Cestrum – Night Blooming Jasmine
Fact sheet
from David’s Exotic Plants
Watering
Cestrum should be watered thoroughly but then allowed to dry out almost completely before re-watering.

Joyful-Garden
helper

5 Jan '11 2:09 pm
Nice jasmine pictures. I love the fragrant of jasmine flowers, sweet and nice :wink:
Joyful-Garden is a relaxing garden where I plant many different useful plants for many different purpose. It's nothing better than organic fresh herbs from your own garden.
Visit my favorite gardening site at Starting a Garden

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Jun '13 9:38 pm
mathyujobs wrote:
Gerry wrote:I am normally the world's greatest optimist, but tomorrow the month changes to September and a very small streak of pessimism shows for a brief moment. September heralds the start of autumn in my book, but I should like to share with you one of the bright summer spots in my garden before it is too late. I buy 2 flowering Jasmine every year and put them in large pots either side of my front door and they never disappoint. The secret is regular feeding and good support. Enjoy -- I do.

Thank you very much for sharing such a great information about jasmine plant with its picture. Jasmines are also delicate to the dry skin designed by heaters, hot-air ports, and wood-burning stove tops. The best way to improve the moisture around your vegetation is to run a warm air humidifier close by. You can also set vegetation in containers loaded with stones or stones.

I am sure Gerry will be thrilled that you answered seven years later.

Next

Return to My Garden & Plants