MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Early Spring Tasks

11 Jul '13 7:59 pm
I didn't think I'd have to do any until spring but I've noticed new leaf buds starting to appear on some shrubs so if I want the paths to be passable I'd better prune post-haste! :shock:

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Early Spring Tasks

13 Jul '13 7:56 pm
Pruned for hours yesterday, and there's still more to do.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

14 Jul '13 9:15 am
Jeez MacFlax, you're way ahead of me. The closest I've got to pre-spring pruning is to buy a fancy expensive pair of secataurs. Still sitting here in their bag :shock:

moosey
head gardener

14 Jul '13 12:57 pm
I've just worked out how ratchet ones work. I've had them in the past and thrown them out cos I thought they weren't cutting properly. Oops. What a waste! Not really pruning anything pruny, though. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Hi Kerole and Moosey

14 Jul '13 1:28 pm
moosey wrote:I've just worked out how ratchet ones work. I've had them in the past and thrown them out cos I thought they weren't cutting properly. Oops. What a waste!

Oh no!

Hubby tried to throw out his pruning shears. He fell off the ladder, luckily when he was almost back down on the ground, and the pruning shears disappeared. We spent some time hunting through the neighbours shrubbery by torchlight before finding them. :oops:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Jul '13 8:06 pm
Haha MacFlax. The case of the vanishing pruners! :lol:

Those bloody ratchet types are a bit bothersome. I have 2 pairs but I don't use them much. I keep wanting to squeeze harder instead of releasing and squeezing again. Who wants to squeeze multiple times per cut? I know it's supposed to make cutting hardwood easier but I reckon it's a fast way to RSI.

I feel a little virtuous today. I spread a thick layer of semi-composted stable muck over 3/4 of one front garden. It was wet and heavy and pretty difficult to manipulate but man was it full of good stuff and massive worms! I wish the horses pooed it out in this ready-to-use way!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jul '13 6:48 pm
Good work Kerole! =D>
(Makes me feel a bit lazy sitting here inside watching the rain.)

moosey
head gardener

25 Jul '13 4:03 pm
Now I really like my ratchet pruners. I have started taking dead canes off the big shrub roses. For this they seem to be excellent. Usually I take some larger nippers into the bush and then end up dropping them on my toes. Ha! progress! Cheers, M

By the way, I like this topic title : 'Early Spring Tasks'... It certainly carries the feel-good factor.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

26 Jul '13 2:49 am
moosey wrote: . . By the way, I like this topic title : 'Early Spring Tasks'... It certainly carries the feel-good factor.

Doesn't feel like it when the newspaper announces coldest night this year, -6℃.

I'm glad you're feeling better Moosey. :)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

27 Jul '13 9:09 am
Jeez MacFlax that is hell cold alright! We're having unseasonably warm and calm weather. My paddocks are pretty dry and the gardens are starting to wake up. Way too early! We have hideous August to survive yet and some September frosts too.

I'm not complaining, it's really pleasant gardening in this weather. :D

Next

Return to My Garden & Plants