Re: Jardine en Tejas ~ 2012

20 Apr '12 12:05 pm
hands out 5 wks.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

20 Apr '12 2:53 pm
Hi again! Love the new name, but what does "Tejas" mean? Can't weeding be fun sometimes? Especially if you plan to complete only a small square of garden - it always looks SO much better when completed, and you feel that you've accomplished something! I find weeding relaxing, and while I don't mind having company while I do it, I really don't want to talk. I use the time for listening to birds, the wind in the leaves, the fountain and imagining what I could do some time in the future, once I get all this weeding done! :lol: And, of course, Joey Dog comes into the garden to check up on me once in a while (he's a big wuss-dog and prefers to lie on the sofa watching t.v.) and then returns to the house!

Cheers!

gordonf

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

21 Apr '12 7:30 am
I'm gonna hazzard a guess and say it translates to 'Garden in Texas'... I could be wrong though.

5 weeks? To what are you refering to my dear? Hands not good? :?: :(

moosey
head gardener

22 Apr '12 8:23 am
Those deft gardening hands? Aargh?
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

23 Apr '12 1:44 pm
Indeed, arggh! But! As of today can type (! a little) AND got to plant (yipee!!) three planters on the back patio! Huzza, canst barely contain the peaceful bliss. . . .

Most everything else is a shambles, but at least I can now peck away at it.

Gordon! I truly did post an answer to your first post, and wherefore it went in the ether net I know not. #-o And yes! Weeding can be so cathartic!!

Kerole gets an A in Spanish discernment! :D Jardine = garden and Tejas was the name a native Indian tribe had for Texas. The "j" is pronounced as an "h," and you know the good old Americans gummed it up! In sotto voce. . . .

Fingers are speaking back, so last I can say: Kerole, that foal is a stunner, my word! Cannot even begin to imagine how fine, fine, fine he will be. Who was his sire? Google him I will. AND today was surely a marvelous, peaceful, glorious, soothing-to-the-soul occasion 'cause I actually got to be outside to drink it in and garden. Muddy hands: Hoooray!!!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

23 Apr '12 6:56 pm
Thanks for the answer to my question! Glad you're enjoying your garden, too! I just returned from a weekend at a Steampunk Expo (my first), and it was a blast!! I made several contacts regarding Steampunk gardening ideas and generally had a great time. So now it's back to my little garden, which has grown mightily during my absence! I'll post some pics on my thread tomorrow, as it's too late to do it tonight, and I'm really tired.

All the best,

gordonf

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

30 Sep '12 8:56 pm
Well. Since mine garden has been unable to bring happiness and only corrosive disappointment due to grasshopper plague. . . .

This video has helped doldrums considerably. DISCLAIMER: Has nothing to do with gardening. And am hoping it makes it past, shall we say, censorship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSAGR0arBUo
Afterall, we did discuss six-pacs once upon a time!

moosey
head gardener

2 Oct '12 1:00 pm
Grasshopper plague? Aargh! This might be the silliest question, but what exactly do these grasshoppers do? I guess they eat things... And I'm wondering - do they even hop into your house? Cheers, M, asking too many foolish questions, but I've never had a g-hopper plague here.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

3 Oct '12 10:56 am
Well. Second attempt. First response just flew off the screen into oblivion.

Assuredly rejoice you do not have grasshoppers. They devour (when numbering so many) anything green that does not have a rough leaf, and are just as avid at eating buds and flowers, too. The ground cover (pre-me) in front of the house down this steep creekside is nothing but stems. Wisteria, stems. Fruit trees, no leaves whatsoever. Even many of the trees have no leaves higher up. No grasshoppers in New Zealand should be a gardener's cause celebre. My garden was going beautifully, so very much needed after last year's severe drought. I was enraptured. Then the wheat field that forms an "L" around us was harvested, and immediately we were inundated with them. You did not go out of the house talking for you could get one in your mouth. Yes, some have made it into the house, but the kitties, especially Samwise and Jace, usually gleefully polish those off. The barn kittens (now a year and half old, hmmm) were all over the few we had before the harvest, but they quickly became bored when anything that moved caused 'hoppers to jump and fly all around them. They devoured my seedlings in a thrice. My roses. I had ordered a bare root hybrid tea as my first rose of the Honorary Moosey Corner. Planted it and it was coming along beautifully, but it could not survive without leaves and there is nothing you can do to kill an adult grasshopper, except stomping - have stomped all summer. They killed it and another thriving cutie, "The Fairy."

So. My most favorite rose nursery (on line) had a wonderful sale. I couldn't order rose one. I can't buy any perennials at the fall sales. So much for planting up seeds for next spring when the time comes. The last time we had a grasshopper invasion was in the '90's, it lasted for six or seven years and wasn't as grim as this one, even tho it made the national news. The only way "to get" them is Nola bait when they are small. But what do I do about the neighboring field? They are prepping it to plant wheat again this winter. It is usually so wonderful to have this bright, vibrant green in view. But my heart is dead before arrival of the coming spring. Of the twenty-seven roses I had, I now have seven, and Tamora is down to one surviving length of branch. That's twenty roses lost since 2010 (harsh winter for here), 2011 the epitome of drouth and Lord knows I carried water, water, water, 2012 grasshoppers. Have to stop now. It really has gotten to me. I haven't even been able to look at your, Kerole's or Jack's spring pictures.

b.
p.s. Oh yes, they have killed my daylillies, especially am missing the new ones I planted last fall. As far as I can tell, the amaryllis is dead, too. Quit weeding at all, in case there might be survivors. But if you are a blub and can not grow leaves to sustain yourself. . . .

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

3 Oct '12 11:33 am
How awful for you!! It sounds even worse than a plague of tent caterpillars, which I've been through a couple of times. At least the caterpillars can't get away so you can protect SOME things! My sympathies go out to you!

How do these plagues begin? Is it years of dry weather or something else? Does anyone even know?

All the best,

gordonf

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants