riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

Re: Tentativa: Mi Jardin en Tejas, Vol. 1, 12-2009

8 Aug '11 5:12 pm
Not quite sure what, exactly, could get my sense of humor. . . . It, the hots, has taken my breath away upon leaving the house, and in a short time after it feels as if an elephant has decided to sit on a tuffet: my chest. But! I must tell you, you can turn out some fantastic compost in record time! Just be sure you get out early enough to turn and water it. Otherwise, eish does work quite well! Has a fine psychological uplift to it....

Glad you got the letter, hubband mailed it for me and " filed" away the tracking slip in a humongous pile, so wasn't sure what it was doing. Truly should have thrown away second letter, it was a bummer.

Water retention crystals, hmmm. Am glad I already had a goodly supply of soaker hoses, as all stores say they sell out withing minutes of arrival. We were in Dallas today(Sunday,) and I was totally shocked to see that many, many, at least twenty-five, huge bald cypress trees near our favorite bookstore were dead. Why did the city ever let this happen??? They were over twenty years old and at least that tall, if not taller. Too, too sad.

Our water company will go to its Stage 2 drought plan, essential water use only. Wonder if will be strung up for not letting roses or irises die. {Or amarylli.} Have already been taking out dish and rinse water. It would be labor intensive and messy to do same with washing machine, but will start tomorrow. Oh well, about that compost. Found a map that shows we have now entered the "exceptional" drought phase, as has the majority of the state, others are either severe or extreme.Unfortunately, some of the exceptional drought areas have been that bad off for a much greater time. Guess I need to see if the south creek has water, but hauling it without a truck? It has been so very hard on ranchers and their livestock. Many have sold off ALL their cattle, and it is said that horses are being given away, or just dropped off at auctions and left. That truly hurts.

Your snowdrops were divine to see, and the southern hemisphere's spring with be nothing short of a longed for, green balm to mine soul.

love you all, including the four-footed folk (plus those cutie yaklings)
b.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Aug '11 9:08 am
:(

What to say?

I'm thinking of you as I tromp my way through squelchy sucky shin-deep mud to throw some hay to the yaklings et al. I have done nothing but whine about the wet here and in summer I will moan on about the dry, but I can be assured the damage is only fleeting. Perspective is a true eye-opener!

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

11 Aug '11 3:39 am
Ahhh, Kerole! I, too, remember struggling thru mud (in mud boots - almost pulled off your feet) to feed, getting hay out was always a great pleasure! :wink:

Rain banks. Do wish the good Lord had created rain banks. They would be ever so useful!! I could have your excess for my bone dry everything, and we would both be pleased.

This summer is going to put a damper on my complaining about heat and too much rain. . . . Remember - Bonny- you couldn't plant your spring flowering bulbs because it was too, too wet in the winter of 2007? Ahem, yes. :cry: :wink:

Perspective. Yep. Looking forward to a real spring next year. And just maybe a buffalo grass lawn, as front is gone, and am practically giving resuscitation maneuvers to back lawn. Buffalo grass is a nifty native that uses little water when established, and the same goes for cutting. Plus, is gorgisimus in mine eyes and love our native grasses!

Please give those muddy yaklings a hug, or pat if too muddy, from their Texas friend!
b.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Oct '11 1:52 am
Wish I could share our rain with you. :( The old cypresses, animals being sold off or abandoned, essential water use only, sorry you and your state are doing it so tough. :(
Word of warning about washing machines. I tried that a few times with our top loader, rinse water only, by taking the drain hose out of the drain and putting it in a watering can, stopping the washing machine and running outside with the watering can, then coming back and doing the same until the washing machine was empty. After ruining most of my summer clothes I figured out that I must have been putting the hose back wrong (manual warns to be careful about that) and I must have been syphoning stuff back into the machine. I couldn't get the nasty smell out of my clothes and had to buy a whole lot of new ones. I was so annoyed because when we were building the house I heard about a thing called a suldi valve which is fitted to the pipe under the laundry tub and allows you to switch between sending the water down the normal way or out through an outlet in the wall to the garden. No mucking around with the hose at the top at all. But we couldn't find a local retailer and the builder didn't know about it and wasn't keen on having his plumber do anything unusual, so we didn't pursue it. Eventually we got a rainwater tank and ever since then it's been raining so much we don't need to use it.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

5 Oct '11 7:42 am
Sorry, but your story of the 'watering can two-step' between garden and laundry made me grin. I can picture it perfectly! :D

I too tried to find a suldi valve (but I didn't know it had a name at that stage). In the end I had to settle with a non-permanent out pipe. When I wish to use the water for the garden I attach the machine hose to a long length of piping that leads straight into the garden of most need. Works very well albeit it's not exactly an elegant option. 8)

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Oct '11 10:53 am
After a few attempts at the "'watering can two-step" :lol: and wondering why my washing was smelling like a drain (in retrospect it was) we looked around again for a suldi valve, now all the hardware stores knew exactly what we wanted but they were sold out. :roll:

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

11 Nov '11 6:09 pm
About watering can two step: I used a sauce pan to dip at least half+ of the rinse water into my watering cans. Most planties appreciated it greatly, but then became great grasshopper fodder. Aaarrgghh! Didn't get to take pictures of my lovely coleus which enchant me more and more each year, but were devoured. Hibiscus (3) and a new, gorgeous Bougainvillea that "blooms" white turning a lovely, soft shade of pink at the tips. Guest bedroom is again off limits for guests, maybe the foyer?

Hooray! We have gotten some good rains, Monday night (the 7th) we got 3+ inches! About four to six weeks ago the triple digit temps broke...amazingly wonderful!!!!!

Health news flash: pitiful. Really wracked up left knee, it has been howling vorciferously for at least three months, but getting a tad perceptively less yeowly as of yesterday. They both got injections two weeks ago. Methinks digging has disappeared from mine gardening vocabulary. . . . And coaxing holes from hubband is like convincing a chicken to grow teeth! He does gradually comply, with great sighs and rolling of eyes - complete with Maori-type grimaces. However, I will very, most politely ask for a specific number of holes, and then he mutters and moans I've changed the number to MORE than agreed upon! So. Have crafted and printed up contract to be signed by both parties for all future holes! Oh yeah, hands went out again big time, am still in rehab. But that and medicine have helped tons, now if it only lasts. RA plus carpel tunnel this time-a first. Bleh.

And! Can actually say have managed to do a wisp of gardening the last two days! Yipee!! Firstly, extracted five holes from said Grumper in the amaryllis bed for five new ones of those. They were plants I wintered over in the house for years, but it seems I have no luck getting them to bloom. Will have to squeeze and negotiate three more holes in that bed for some new daylilies: Frans Hals, Primal Scream (I guess I can go out and just look at it when I want to give one :shock: , and Ruby Spider. Probably will have to get him blasted on Margaritas before I tell him I need two big holes for a crepe myrtle and a ginko. Sigh. Am hoping beyond hope that young gardening assistant can return over the Thanksgiving Holidays, if not, hmmm? Have a modest number of spring bulbs to plant in a new-to-be circular bed around the redbud in front of the office * dining room. Himself will really crisp up if he has to help me with that endeavor! Last, but not least, two weeks ago he (hubband- no griping!) helped finish east end of backdoor patio bed and I got to plant two intense hot pink, mauve and green grasses (in summertime), wowwza~! Lady Moosey-like, have forgotten their name (shhh).

Oh, yes. T'is a triplet of thank yous I owe. Since I did not get to celebrate my favorite season, Spring, in my garden this year, I heartfully thank three folks for giving me three Springs in 2011!!! First, Kerole for the stunningly gorgeous cherry trees, and her other postings; secondly, Jack's Spring has been a treasure; and thirdly, Lady Moosey for the show-stopping rhododendrons, daffs, azaleas and now roses. Ahhha, one can breathe. . . .

love, b.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

12 Nov '11 9:07 am
Oh Bonny you poor thing. Crappy knees and aching hands sounds like no fun at all. It makes me feel very silly and very guilty for whining on about a bit of post-gardening stiffness.

Go you good thing for still getting out there and amongst it. Heaven knows what kind of holes a Margarita'd Grumper would make. Still, I bet any hole is better than none at all! :D

Shucks, thanks for the nice words on the cherries. I have plenty of new floriforous pics on my thread and more to come.

Nice to hear from you again!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

21 Nov '11 10:06 pm
I hope you're feeling better! Wonderful about the rain.

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

18 Dec '11 3:28 am
Criminy! Sorry to have missed both your comments! Hands are better, finish rehab next week for the carpal tunnel, RA knocked down by steroids. Am contemplating filing for divorce from left knee. . . .

Am quietly amazed at our rain days. It really was a great event last weekend, drizzle all day Friday, on and off hours of showers Saturday, downpours during the day and night of Sunday. Thunder even! :D

Am disgruntled with garden helper, as want to finish digging north patio bed, and start a new one under the north redbud. Have had the bulbs for a while, but with our weather, there is no set time to plant them, as it gets colder (euphemistically) this month and January. Found a wonderful, wonderful new bulb place whilst "gardening" on the internet: Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Must give kudos to Daffodil Planter, and Moosey, for introducing her. Have come to learn so much more about daffodils! Marvelous!! Back to garden helper, he has not returned calls. . . :( :-o [-o<

I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas!!!

b.

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants