Swallowstitch
honoured contributor
Geraldine New Zealand

Blushing Gardener

17 Sep '04 7:34 pm
Thank you for your compliments on my rustic cloche.
During the winter I dig holes in that garden and bury the kitchen scraps and when I was preparing the trench for the Sweet Peas I also added some well rotted composty soil, plus a sprinkle of dolomite lime. As the Peas grow I'll spray them with the fish fertilizer, it might not deter the so and so possums but it will be excellent foliage feed.
My big worry now is when the peas outgrow their individual plastic containers and have to face up to the harsh realities of life in the outside world :(
Any suggestions how I can keep the possums from chewing on them,? I do hate to see netting everywhere but it might come to that, but it will need to be a very small mesh as they can poke through ordinairy farm netting.
I'll go take a look at that link you showed me Pumpkin, thank you, it may tell me something.
I know some people use electric fences, but that would not be practical here...besides which, anything that crackles and tingles makes a bee line for my body, so I would be the one getting zaps all the time(because I would forget to turn it off during the day :) )

Swallowstitch
honoured contributor
Geraldine New Zealand

Possum Repellent

17 Sep '04 7:56 pm
I've made enquiries as to whether this product is available in a smaller quantity as I would like to test it first before spending too much. If it doesn't do the job it is wasted money, whereas at least the fish fertilizer still feeds the plant(what remains of it anyway).
It does sound promising though, they seem fairly confident it will work.
Thanks again for taking an interest Pumpkin.

sequoia
helper
northeast US (New England)

Possums

18 Sep '04 5:11 am
In North America, at least we have the satisfaction (?) of our gardens being eaten by native species--deer, raccoons, rabbits, woodchucks...

I wonder if the "Possum Chase" product is some sort of predator scent--assuming that back in Australia, there ARE predators to keep the possum population in check. Gardeners here report some success with the use of predator urine to scare away the garden raiders (red fox and coyote, primarily). Nothing but fencing and/or a couple of dogs seems to discourage the deer, however.

If you had a small patch fenced in on all sides, including the top, would that keep them out? Or would that make YOU feel imprisoned :) ?

Sequoia

Swallowstitch
honoured contributor
Geraldine New Zealand

Possum Repellent

19 Sep '04 12:37 pm
The website has several other Bio Dynamic spray products available and reading the blurb on this one in particular it does sound very much as though it is based on a derivitive of the actual possum itself, whether it's "dead bodies" in a very diluted form, I'm not sure. These sorts of natural repellent suppliers often speak in non specific terms, or at least in words a dedicated follower of biodynamic principles can understand but maybe not your average wellies and trowel type gardener :)
I am prepared to give it a go though, if I can purchase it in a smaller, trial size quantity.

Yes, the ideal solution would be to cage in the vege patch, which would work if it was all in one area(and I could afford it). I have three seperate very small plots. It's a case of "if I knew then what I know now" way back when I first took an interest in veges then we would have probably set up some sort of large enclosed area. As it is, our time here is now limited and it is not feasible to go to any major expense. I can carry on with small areas which are netted, but if this Possum Repellent should turn out to be any good then my veges might be allowed to spread out a bit and not be imprisoned.(I wonder if plants suffer from claustrophobia... :? )

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

20 Sep '04 6:37 pm
errr....seems they do when they are left in plastic bags in the car for a week :oops:

Hope you find a trial size for that Possum Chase Swallowstitch cos home-grown everything is just the best! :D

I have just added spring onions and have put some kumara in trays to sprout...mmmm :D

~ omygosh! :shock: I have just noticed I am now an 'honoured member'!
Just goes to show what babbling can get you :wink:

olwen
valued member
Blenheim

Garden in a cage

1 Oct '04 7:56 pm
I visited a property near Piha years ago. There was a 10 foot high wire netting enclosure for the garden to keep out possums. The wire netting was over the top as well.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

2 Nov '04 8:05 am
How is your veg garden going Swallowstitch? Did you find any of that product in sample size?

My strawberries are ripening wonderfully :D I think I may have to resort to building a low cage type thingy over them .... the birds are showing interest :?
116_1670_1.jpg
Strawberries when young

Swallowstitch
honoured contributor
Geraldine New Zealand

Plants & Pests

4 Nov '04 5:44 pm
Hi Pumpkin, what a beautiful strawberry bed you have created, I love the brick edging, very "potager".. :) Yes, most definitely cover them up, after all that work you are entitled to be utterly selfish and keep them all to yourself.
As to my pest problem, well ,after all my moans about possums I have not done anything about buying the Possumchase, they do have it in a smaller size ..100mls for $15... not a lot of liquid but it dilutes down pretty much. I really should send away for some... at the moment my problems are mostly of the feathered kind... yesterday a blackbird hopped into my tomato frame and in it's search for the worms it knew where in my superdooper composty soil :lol: it dug up my grafted tomato :( . I only discovered this horror severals hours into a very hot day,( made worse by the plastic sheeting which covers the planterbox), gave the poor wee thing a good soak,replanted it and watered it well, sprayed with my magic mixture, gave it some shade and today it has straightened it's self up, spread out two of it's four arms and is bravely facing up to life again.I have put a barrier at the end the bird was hopping in and out of, but it just goes to show how determined creatures can be when they are seeking food for themselves and their young ones. I have beans , lettuces, potaotes and tomatoes all under cover for this reason. My carrot seeds, carefully sown in two rows ,are scattered to the winds(ran out of bird netting for them)...it's a jungle out there make no mistake. Survival of the fittest or most cunning. :)

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

25 Nov '04 7:40 am
Eeek! Your poor tomato! Hope it doesn't suffer any 'post traumatic shock' :wink:

:oops: I must confess...my strawberry plants just needed a home fast! So I plonked some compost on a lightly dug bit of ground and threw the weedmat over the top. The bricks were the nearest thing to hold the weedmat down cos it was windy when I did it :mrgreen:

Not a lot of planning went into that one :D
But they have responded well and are throwing fruit out all over! I have even let the birds have a few for a treat :wink:

I am just about to plant out rock and watermelons, mmmm! ...and some more tomatoes. These are all 'heirloom' seeds so it will be interesting to see how they grow :)

moosey
head gardener

26 Nov '04 2:27 pm
What types of heirloom tomatoes do you grow Pumpkin? I have grown from seed and proudly planted quite a few in the garden this year (inpressing myself that seeds have actually been nurtured through all first life phases without serious threat to life).
I have a striped one, and a pink brandywine, and a purple brandywine, and some other brown ones (can't remember). Gosh I hope I can concentrate long enough to get these plants to the production phase!

I also grow lots of knobbley purple potatoes (they came from Oamaru, where they are called Maori potatoes) But they grow by default - so hard to see when harvesting, so lots get left behind. I've never managed to get the cooking method quite right. They are really floury, and have no taste. Have you any ideas? Real pity - they look so stylish...

And where have you gone, Swallowstitch? Lost in the early summer flush of flowers in your garden?

Cheers.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants