My garden

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: My garden

10 Jan '15 2:46 pm
Yes, everything's very lush here in the tropics. :lol: Just to explain, I do not live in the tropics at all, but there is a lot of tropical moisture being sucked down to the southern part of the continent and contrary to the earlier predictions of a dryer than usual summer we have been getting tropical thunderstorms most afternoons. Very bizarre.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

13 Jan '15 8:05 pm
Oh Moosey, sorry to read of your rain shortage, I wish I could share some of ours.
Yesterday was the first fine day in ages and I took some photos. Here's one of my Crepe Myrtles. All around town they are flowering gloriously this year. I'm wondering where I can squeeze in a few more, I want one of each colour!
CrepeMyrtleJan15.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

3 Mar '15 10:56 pm
The trees on the northern side have gotten too big so they've been getting a prune this week.

3Mar2015.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 Apr '15 1:42 am
Rain. Work in the garden needs to wait a few more days.

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

7 Apr '15 5:59 am
Good plan... a few days ago, I decided that I had no idea when our downpours would stop so I decided to mow the lawn, on the lawn tractor, during one of the brief sunny intervals. I ended up sinking down in the wet bits at one end and left a very nice pattern of soggy tracks and scalped lawn between them...Sigh... It's growing out now and I am glad that I mowed it, but it was pretty ugly to begin with! Good luck for sunnier weather and happy pruning!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Apr '15 2:25 am
A lawn tractor, sounds such fun, I've always wanted one. I hope your unintentional patterns disappear soon.
The sun came out today but I was doing some plant research online a few days ago and came across an article about clay soils which reminded me in no uncertain terms that wet clay soil should not be worked. It looks very wet. We had more than our April average rainfall in 24 hours.

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

10 Apr '15 8:38 am
I can definitely commiserate with you on the clay soil! It's great soil as long as you can get it to release it's nutrients, but once it's wet, it's useless to even try to work it... suddenly your boots become 'platform' boots. Once it dries out, it cracks and any water runs straight away. I'm in the seed planting (in the greenhouse) and general tidy up season here. It's a good time to pull out long rooted dandelions if you can catch them just perfectly. Everything is growing like weeds, or is a weed. It's too cold for the tender summer plants so I have 50 potted dahlias waiting in my tiny greenhouse. We've just had a short run of beautifully sunny weather but the rain is coming back tomorrow so I have to go and remow the formerly striped area. Busy, busy... it's sure lucky we all like gardening...
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Apr '15 7:09 pm
fenwillow wrote: . . suddenly your boots become 'platform' boots . .

I know that feeling. :lol:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 Apr '15 4:49 pm
We have clay here too. The kind you can make pots with. I have amended it well it places but other areas are still awful. Platform boots, yes know it well!

You garden is looking very orderly as usual macflax. Lovely.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

24 Apr '15 3:17 am
Rain rain rain, though not as bad as on the coast where you might have seen on the news it's been cyclonic. :(
One of my Crepe Myrtles looked absolutely brilliant but it was very windy for a couple of days and all the leaves are gone. But I still have two Crepe Myrtles and various other trees starting to change.

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants