My garden

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Dogwoods

1 May '15 5:12 pm
More rain, or if not actually raining then cloudy.

I love Moosey's beautiful autumn dogwood!
Here's mine, it's still only small but it's trying.
dogwoodApr15.jpg
dogwood2Apr15.jpg

moosey
head gardener

Re: My garden

1 May '15 7:33 pm
Give it time. I adore Dogwoods. But they grow rather slowly. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

4 Jun '15 2:09 am
I knew I forgot something today. I went out and I was going to take some photos of the garden and I completely forgot. Well, just look at Moosey's last week's post, the berberis is just like mine. Here in Australia the seasons start on the first of the month (I understand in some places they start on the solstices and equinoxes?). Winter took its responsibilities very seriously and promptly turned on overnight minimums of around -5℃ 23℉. One night the apparent temperature was -9.9℃ 14℉!

moosey
head gardener

4 Jun '15 8:59 am
You win again! We've only had a minus six one. After which one of my urban (less frosty) friends was sitting at coffee making rude remarks about people who wear puffy down jackets. Apparently these are so not a good look for the mature woman. I say they should walk the dogs around a country garden at dawn in a six degree frost and then worry about the look!

Nine degrees would finish them off, en route between the heated house and the heated car, I reckon!
Yours in chilliness, M.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

8 Jun '15 7:58 am
Jesus. I am from namby-pamby Auckland. That kind of low temperature does not happen here. And a good thing too. I moan on and on when it gets to 5C!

As for puffer jackets, they are the best for perusing the garden, farm, countryside!

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

8 Jun '15 6:44 pm
Brr... I'm a fan of puffy jackets for winter too! We get it down in the -5 to -10 C quite often in our winter, and sometimes much colder with a biting Arctic outflow winds. I have a big, heavy, over sized men's canvas and down coat that I bought from the thrift shop (goodwill shop) years ago. It comes down below my knees and has a big hood. It makes the puffy down jackets look like the height of fashion! Scoff on urbanites. I'm keeping my toasty warm parka!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Jun '15 4:33 pm
"And guess what? About five days until the shortest day of the year, the mid-winter solstice, brrr and all that." - Moosey

That brightened my gloomy rainy day somewhat. :) And then the days start getting longer.

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

21 Jun '15 12:16 am
What can I tell you? Its been a horrible 12 months up here! weather - appliances breaking down - Electricity company doing its best to strip our bank balance - Printer died - Computer Tower followed - chipped front tooth - can't afford to fix it yet, I think I will have to swap some of the free medical things I signed up for(Podiatrist) with a trip to the dentist instead IF that is on the Agenda.

I was hoping we could keep a bit of money in the bank, but that has never been the case with us - * both!

We are selling our new bicycles as we have discovered that neither of us can handle them, he has bad balance and is too fat, I just have bad balance and our road is full of potholes, I thought a tricycle would be just the go, but it's too high. I will get a little one! One day.

Cats are doing well, I made the mistake of letting Jink out a few times, which she enjoyed so much; but the Tom, Buster, set up a terrific whinge and so did the neighbours. Oops! My bad, I knew they weren't allowed out, I just had a Nanna moment! She likes to do her big jobs under the house, which, as it's all sand, suits me fine, here; as it was usually other peoples houses, where we lived before. Buster has been sick all this week with a flare-up of his FIV, sneezing so much his nose bled. Another Vet bill. Usually he only has it for a couple of days. Doubling his Lysine usually fixes it, but he has a anti inflammatory Syringe of Chocolate flavoured goo which has to be administered each evening - he hates it! The feral toms around the place seem to be the cause, when he gets a snoot-full of the Real Tom Perfumery. Dinah has been hissing at him since he came back from the vet on Tuesday - nothing like the scent of the vet to destroy the peace.

I want to teach the cats to wear a walking coat; Harnesses are too easy to escape. Buster won't understand, I am pretty sure. I think he's brain damaged in some way, He keeps forgetting things that he has already learned quite thoroughly. Dinah has only evinced a wish to help me with the gardening, but as I am right on the road, I'd have to tie her up to the stair rails - don't think she wants to go walkies.

I WILL be back more regularly - its taken me that long to settle. Had I known it would be like this, I would have refused to sell. I miss my friends back there, and some of them need help. Starting to paint properly now; I know we are having an Art and Craft Exhibition in August, I think. 9th of July will be a Watercolour workshop by one of the very good Painters from the Tilligerry Art Group. Yes, I'm doing it, I need the practice.

Love to you all! (No Pics, I have to find another site to reduce the enormity of our photos)
Gabi

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

21 Jun '15 2:51 am
Oh Gabi, what a time you've had! I won't offer any platitudes, but I do wish you a change of luck soon!

Have a wonderful time at the watercolour workshop!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

24 Jun '15 12:05 pm
Welcome back Gabi! So nice to hear your news my dear.

I did have to giggle a bit at your year's recap. No that it was about funny things, just your delivery of it!

I too hope things begin to look brighter soon for you. And if you ever get a tricycle, please please post some photos!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants