My garden

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Re: My garden

23 Jan '16 3:07 pm
We all love Xanthorrhoeas around here. And I've never seen the one on the right. Do you happen to know the name? Would love to grow it.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

23 Jan '16 3:18 pm
Oh, hello Mark. I was busy editing my post and didn't see you had already posted a reply. I don't usually expect to be posting at the same time as anyone else on this forum as we are almost all in different time zones. (I just noticed, to add to my confusion the timestamp is an hour out, it is not showing daylight saving time.)
Do you mean on the right of the cordyline xanthorrhoea pic or the pic on the right, the purple and yellow daisy?

Mark

24 Jan '16 2:40 am
The purple and yellow daisy is the one that caught my eye. Pretty amazing looking.
Mark in California

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

24 Jan '16 9:11 am
Are those Felicia type daisies (middle picture) a native of Australia? I did not know that. I have several of the blue ones.

We grow all manner of Cordylines here. Some are rather expensive to buy which surprises me as they are easy to grow and reasonably common. Cordyline albertii springs to mind. I have another expensive one called Pink Champagne that cost a bomb. It is thin-leaved and subtly variegated with pinkish leaf-bases. Now it is 9 years old and the pink is no longer. It has a thin, tortured looking trunk and sparse leaves.

The native to New Zealand Cordylines have massive trusses of white flowers in summer that smell heavenly. A heavy, tropical scent that hangs in the warm air. Love it!

Mark

24 Jan '16 2:42 pm
Those New Zealand Cordylines sound wonderful .. and a good white garden choice I'd say.
Mark in California

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

26 Jan '16 10:37 pm
I'll see if I can find some labels next time I visit.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

29 Feb '16 1:47 am
In reply to the questions.
All the plants in our local botanic gardens are natives except I think about four specific plants. All the daisies in the daisy section which opened about a year ago are native varieties. I couldn't find a label for the blue one.
There was a label right next to some of the the purple ones 'Xerochrysum viscosum ASTERACEA'. I think they must be a variant of the yellow ones?

This weekend the botanic gardens hosted the annual native bonsai show. Here's a few pics from our visit.
28February16.jpg
Pond
CrimsonRosella.jpg
Crimson Rosella
NativeBonsai.jpg
Native Bonsai Show
WhiteFigBonsai.jpg
White Fig

Mark

29 Feb '16 3:45 pm
I especially like the first picture. Wonderful mood to it. The bird is also fun for me to see.
Mark in California

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

1 Mar '16 3:16 pm
I was really happy with how that picture came out. Too often I get spots of glare when taking pictures in those conditions. The stuff on the water is from the casuarina trees.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

24 Apr '16 10:14 pm
It wasn't the best year for my crepe myrtles flowering but the autumn colours have been lovely.

P1810390.jpg
P1810087.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants