My garden

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

3 Nov '08 8:11 pm
Come to think of it, I have rather a lot of Hebes.
I managed to grab the camera and catch a couple of visitors through the window today (a Crested Pigeon and a Honeyeater).

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

3 Nov '08 8:31 pm
I've never heard of a crested pigeon. Pretty thing. Can it fluff its head feathers out (like a cockatoo)?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

3 Nov '08 9:42 pm
No, it moves the feathers back and forth a little but they're not like cockatoo feathers. An interesting thing about Crested Pigeons is when they take off their wings make a whistling noise.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

4 Nov '08 6:13 am
Is the honey-eater in your garden? If so, it looks very lush and tropical. Have you been having rain of late to make everything look so fresh?

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

A couple of fine looking birds in your garden!

4 Nov '08 12:39 pm
I used to keep outdoor aviaries of finches, doves, quail and softbill birds. Lots of pideons are collected and this is better than most of the ones I've seen. I've heard of bee-eaters but never a honey-eater until now. Cool. I would've been interested in both of these. Now I prefer having them as visitors rather than as tenants. Is that a Jacaranda tree that the Honeyeater is in? I'm a fan of fine, intricate folliage like that.

Looking good!
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Waratah
honoured member
Blue Mountains, NSW Australia

4 Nov '08 2:09 pm
Hi MacFlax,

You did well to get a picture of the Honeyeater as they are usually very active. We get a lot of them here, usually the New Holland ones but others as well. The Wattle Birds wake me up in the morning as they call to each other just as it's getting light. They love to sip (if that's what you do with a beak) the nectar from the Grevilleas.

I hadn't seen a Crested Pigeon until we moved to the mountains and still only see a few now and then. Their crest sort of wobbles as they walk which looks a bit funny. Still, I suppose they think I look pretty funny too. :lol:

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

4 Nov '08 7:48 pm
Yes, that's the garden outside the window where I'm sitting. The honeyeater photo is rather misleading. :oops: The tree is near the window and the shrubs in the background are actually on the other side of the garden with an expanse of half-dead lawn in between. The tree is a Silk Tree or Albizia julibrissin, which I've been told is also called a Mimosa in the US. The Crested Pigeons frequently parade up and down the ridge of our roof.
Here are a few more pics of the pigeons (on the lawn and in the newly extended garden bed) and one of an Eastern Rosella from last week (in the Chinese Pistachio).

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

A sense of wonder

6 Nov '08 4:22 pm
What interesting birds you have, MacFlax! Fascinating that among all the hundreds of species of pigeons and doves spread across the world, one should have decided to wear a crest. The older I get, the more convinced I become that the Dear Lord has an Immense Sense of Fun :D

And I'm pleased your post has become active again. I've found that sometimes one needs to kick-start one's post back to the top of the pile (to mix my metaphors!)in order to get a response.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

20 Dec '08 10:02 pm
Some more birds enjoying my weedpatch. These guys were fast, with flashes of yellow from their wings as they flew. I've rarely seen these before and I haven't identified them yet.

One of our silk trees in flower (Albizia julibrissin).

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Experimenting with resizing pictures

20 Dec '08 10:29 pm
This is a peppercorn tree on the waterfront at Batemans Bay.
The experiment doesn't seem to be working. I tried reducing the pic to 50% and then to 20% and it has indeed reduced but it reverts back to this size when I include it in a post.

And yet the resizing seems to have worked with the clickable thumbnail.

Anyway, isn't it a fantastic tree!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden & Plants