Our Veggie Garden

Sjoerd
Hoorn, the Netherlands

Our Veggie Garden

15 Jun '06 11:55 am
We grow veggies on one part of the lottie and don't use chemicals or synthetic fertilizer. So far there have been no problems with this method and our yearly harvests have been sufficient to eat from for a full year. We grow things outside as well as in a green house.
We grow an assortment of veggies and fruits which we can as well as freeze. The beds are rotated in a logical manner to not stress the soil too much. To improve and maintain the basic soil, we are using EM (Effective Micro-organisms). We also use this on seedlings to help them develop excellent root syatems in the hopes of improving the crop yield. This is the first year we are employing this technique....so we are really anxious to see if it works or is just another hoax. Thus far I have noticed that the root systems are much larger than normal as well as the leafy bits of the plantlets. We'll see how it goes.
Some of the veggies that we grow are: Swiss chard, Perpetual spinach, broccoli, runner beans, green climbing beans, courgettes, purslain, broad beans, kapucijners, papricas, tomatoes, strawberries, blue berries beets, carrots and parsnips. There is also a small herb patch.
So far we have harvested broad beans, strawberries, perpetual spinach and swiss chard this season as well as a few lettuces.
p.s. One negative aspect is that we have had to install chicken wire fences to keep the rabbits out. :cry:
oogst1.jpg
Healthy broadbeans planted in the fall.
oogst3.jpg
My mouth waters just looking at these babies!
oogst2.jpg
Beans & lettuce

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Finding time

15 Jun '06 7:31 pm
With all the wonderful vegies,fruit and just beautiful flowers you grow in your lottie, I am surprised you find time to work full time... Ha ha
Your broad beans look wonderful, We plant them here in NZ in the Autumn and grow them over the winter period as well .
How do they survive over there in your cold winters?
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

So Cool!

15 Jun '06 8:07 pm
Those lettuce look delicious! You give us hope for our veggies that will go in soon. Deb just bought some Cucumber and Beet seeds tonight to go along with all the others she has collected. She, too, loves those beens and has about 5 diferent kinds, but she says it's not planed that way. ha ha!

Her vegetable garden will be in the big planters. The problem was last year that she couldn't reach. Things got kind of out of hand. Pumpkins like to take over....and....well. This year I will have my own pumpkin patch in a new garden on the north fence. My corn goes in there too. They will get the most sun of any place in the yard so this year I hope my corn gets taller than 2 feet. My pumpkins, the ones that made it, turned out to be a bit mutant, but the pumpkin flowers are wonderful.

Sometime when you had the chance, please draw out a map of your lottie veggie garden so I can get a better idea of how you are planting things. Enquiring minds want to know. :roll:

Christopher
IMG_2344.JPG
Pumpkin Flower. At this point it showed lots of promise.
momlooksforbeans.jpg
Mom looks for beans amongst the pumpkin leaves. There are peas in there too someplace.
pumpkinnew.jpg
This one looked so promising, but rotted on the vine.
pumpkins.jpg
The only 2 that made it.
corn.jpg
This is the best the corn did. That little cob is only 4 inches long. Just not enough sun, I reckon.
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

P.S.

15 Jun '06 8:11 pm
Deb would like to know what kinds of lettuce those are, please.

Thank you.

Christopher

Sjoerd
Hoorn, the Netherlands

15 Jun '06 11:55 pm
Goose: Heh heh heh...yeah, I wonder that as well. The answer is: I don't! hahahaha. My wife works full-time this time and I work part-
time plus take care of the household stuff. What an experience!
The broadbean sort that I use is the Aquadulce "Claudia" which is planted inearly fall. (here that means October). It comes up to a height of ~3-4 inches and then stays that height until spring. There is usually no freezing damage; however if ther is some, there's no worries, cos new shoots spring-up from the roots. Using this type means I can hartvest and freeze my broadbeans before the other gardners...and before the "blackfly" arrives. Annnnnnnd...then more space becomes free to grow other veggies. having saidf all this, I will tell you taht we always leave a patch of ground free to plant "normal" broadbeans at the "normal" time to suppliment the Aquadulces. I can never have too many. Heh heh heh... :P

Christopher: Let me start-off by saying what a nice spread of fotos you have this time. I see that you have yer mum in serviuce as well...good lad! hahahaha, A good gardner always take what help he can get...especially if it's a pro like your mum. :wink:
My favourite, without a doubt are BEANS! Having said that, I must confess to being sorta picky about what beans I grow. I have tried many different sorts, most of which were"ok", if you know what I mean. They tasted allright, but not GREAT. Another quality that was of supreme importance was how well they would hold-up lying in a frezer for most of the year. (We grow enough beans to eat the whole year round, you see). All the beans that we tried would get all soft and squishy when we would take them out of the freezer and cook them. Until a bean type called "Rakker" was tried. This bean has, "for my taste buds" the absolute best flavour. Additionally it stays a bit crunchy when cooked-up.
There is also the question of blanching. Each person has to decide that for themselves though.
As for the lettuces: the reddish one is what we call an eikenbladsla- I'm not really sure what this is in english but a direct translation of this Dutch word is: "oak leaf lettuce" Maybe it is called "Four Seasons" because you can grow it all year round.. The leaf tips take on a reddish tint because of anthocyaan, as we call it. It has a slightly different taste to most lettuces. The green lettuce is "Milan" , or "Appia", I believe (a sort of butterleaf-type).
We also have iceberg, but we're in between harvests of that now.
I saw those pumpkins...looks like an X-file to me, Skully. chuckle. Say, did you eat them or use them for jack-o-lanterns?
Nothing wrong with inquiring minds. I will try and draw-out the garden sometime, but to be honest, things are too busy at the moment. BTW... did you mean the veggie garden or the whole thing?
Gosh!...I'd better stop babbling and give other folks a chance. Seeyah next time.
Great piccies, yours!
[/b]

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

No bones about it

16 Jun '06 1:20 am
No problem with the garden plan. If you find the time, that's all. That was just the veggie part. Flowers can be planted so free, they can go just about anywhere, but the veggie garden takes a more ordered approach. I'm still working on that "ordered approach" myself. :roll:

I love the whole Halloween thing and always like to have as much fun as possible. Last year we moved the burn barrel to the front yard and had a nice fire. A few families stopped for a moment to warm up. Halloween here is frosty if not snowy. I had a full size skeleton sitting in a lawn chair by the fire. Really put the wind up the little kids. :wink: I am growing the pumpkins for Jack-o-lanterns.

It is interesting to read about these vegetables that grow in the winter. I know the farmers out here have a crop called "winter wheat" but I never knew other plants could grow in the winter. You must have a temperate winter. Things around here are frozen solid from the end of October to the end of March.

Christopher
pumpkinjackolantern.jpg
The two outside ones are my mutant crop. The center one I bought. They made neat jack-o-lanterns.
bones.jpg
I would say,"Uncle Albert had to sit down. He wore himself out dancing around." and the kids eyes would get as big as could be and they wouldn't say much after that.

Sjoerd
Hoorn, the Netherlands

16 Jun '06 10:43 am
We don't have temperate winters at all, Christopher...it's the sort of broadbean.
Great Halloween piccies!!

Return to Organic Gardening