Organic Soil Boosters

Nilla Ice
helper

Organic Soil Boosters

3 Feb '11 12:26 am
I just thought I would share a couple of articles about Lava Rocks and Molasses. Many organic gardeners are still unaware of the benefits to using lava rocks and molasses as part of the organic regimen. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Lava Rock : Soil Amendment

Benefits of Molasses

SusanB
honoured contributor

Re: Organic Soil Boosters

6 May '11 10:05 pm
Good morning Nilla Ice, what wonderful information, thank you.

I'm curious, as I'm still relatively new to gardening, and experimenting with anything organic that I can get my hands on: Are there many differences between using lava rock and using a certain other... errr... "kiln baked ceramic granule bagged product" which is produced to amend ones soil to improve aeration and help prevent infestation of moles and voles? (I won't mention specific names because I'm not here as a walking advertisement). Personally, I am currently a Perlite (as one of your attached articles mentions) user, but have been considering switching to something else a bit more durable, to fend off those pesky critters, and to be honest, lava rock had never ocurred to me. I *was* considering that other kiln baked bagged product, but now you've got me reconsidering! I now see that more investigation is warranted, thank you very much for this food for thought.
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 May '11 2:41 am
I wouldn't count on the person who started this thread coming back to reply. These types of people tend to post their links and are never seen again.

SusanB
honoured contributor

8 May '11 11:46 pm
Well now, isn't that a shame, I was looking forward to learning more about this from a bit more of a 'one-on-one' sort of source, along with my online research. Well then, when we have a bit of breathing room at work (Mother's Day weekend is a bit hectic at a garden center), I will ask The Powers That Be what they might know about it. (Those "Powers" would be the owners).
Thank you MacFlax.
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

mathyujobs
valued helper
United states

6 May '13 7:41 pm
Yes of course I heard about them. I have to say that the highly permeable features of lava stone make them very valuable in aerating dirt as well as assisting to maintain ground wetness and Molasses is known to have chelating properties in soil which can help to avoid the any pests.

Return to Organic Gardening