Dig this Organic fertiliser

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Dig this Organic fertiliser

14 Mar '09 7:09 pm
I have been slogging away all week.
(Are you sitting comfortably before I start?)
I noticed that the white-painted front of the top deck was looking scruffy so I decided to clean it and give it a fresh coat of paint.That of course made the scruffy under-deck look bad,and then the rails of the deck,and the deck itself definitely needed re-oiling.
I have 5 tubs of geraniums on the deck so as the sliding doors of my room open out on to the deck,I dragged the geraniums inside and put them on a tarpaulin on the carpet.
After toiling for several days,I concluded that I shouldn't have started in the first place.Smiley's answer for everything that needs doing is "Just leave it".However he did bring me out drinks so he wouldn't feel guilty.
On Saturday I went to the local farmers market-Eion and Ann Scarrow have a stall there selling plants and their special organic fertiliser (Check www.Digthis.co.nz)It is made from fish remains collected at the Mt Maunganui wharf.You put 1 capful per litre of water.
Well,as one does with new things,I got home and tried it out on my plants.2 litres went on the geraniums.
after a while I was puzzled by a terrrible smell-I tracked it to the geraniums---Yoioioiokks !!!!2 tiny capfuls could do this to me!Rotten fish in my bedroom !!!
I haven't finished the deck because of rain, so we have moved into the spare rooms to sleep.
By the way,when I bought the Wattyl deck oil,they gave me a little tent as a free gift-I think it was left over from Christmas.
Deck.JPG
a 'before' photo-the deck has been blasted
March 10th 0022.JPG
My bedroom opens on to the deck
geraniums2.JPG
'After' 1 coat of deck oil-it still needs another.
geraniums1.JPG
the very smelly geraniums in my room.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

14 Mar '09 11:50 pm
:shock: I wonder if your fish fertiliser is similar to a product sold here called Charlie Carp? I've been thinking of trying it.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

fish stuff

15 Mar '09 5:40 am
It is very concentrated and also has seaweed with it.It is early days yet,but I will let everyone know when the results come.I should think it would be the same as the carp oil.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

15 Mar '09 7:52 am
Dixie the result is very fresh and smart. It looks greeny-blue to me - is this the colour of the oil? Perhaps you could move into the little tent, if the fish goo begins to permeate the entire house. :shock:

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Deck oil

16 Mar '09 6:21 am
The colour of the blue-green deck oil is...Ummmm...wait for it..Wattyl Kelp.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

A fishy story

16 Mar '09 4:36 pm
Fish and visitors smell after three days :wink: or so I'm told.

If it was me, I would have put them planters back out on the deck and painted around them, then when the paint was dry I would move them and paint what was missed.

I'm afraid you have more patience than I do 8-[

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

15 Sep '09 2:16 am
Does the above post mean anything? Time to do some digging indeed :lol: and weed out the spam. :roll:

Return to Organic Gardening