Bex
Camberwell, London

Organic Black Spot & Aphid Prevention

2 Jul '04 11:26 pm
Did you know that planting chives underneath rose bushes significantly reduces the chance of black spot and aphids? :o What a great way to reduce the use of pesticides in the garden!

This and other types of 'companion planting' are being investigated by Which? Gardening - read more of my excited rantings about this research insitute.

180 Which? members planted at least two chive plants underneath each rose bush. 50% reported their roses suffering less from black spot (where they had been susceptible to it before), and 75% reported a reduction in rose aphid problems. Overall, 60% of trialists said they would plant chives under their roses in the future.

The most convincing stats are that French marigolds prevent whitefly in tomatoes - 90%, in or outside the greenhouse.

Has anyone else tried companion planting? Did you find it worked? It sounds such a simple and effective idea :idea:

weedwoman
contributor
PA

I too love my chives :)

25 Jun '06 12:00 pm
I love my chives for baked potato with sour cream ( low fat of course) It really seems to keep the aphids and black spot away from my roses here in PA.

Have a great night ~ Thea

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Welcome, Thea!

26 Jun '06 2:48 am
I loved your chives/potato recipe! Have you tried to add a little bit of garlic, fresh or in powder? And a little of parmezan cheese - grated ? If not, just try it ! It is even more delicious!

Do you have many Roses to look after? Separately or in mixed borders?

And what is "PA" , as your home? And welcome, again!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

weedwoman
contributor
PA

Hi Liza ~ Thank you for the welcome :)

26 Jun '06 10:15 am
Nice to be here in PA ~ abbreviation for Pennsylvania. I do put lotsa goodies on my potatos ~ I just seem to gravitate tward chives and butter too :)MMMM

Yes, I have I think about 50 bushes here and there and nowhere in particular :) I do not have a very organized garden :) I love it that way. Also, not invaded by any bad weeds right now at all :) I think it is because they don't stand a chance with all the flowers and that :)

I have herbs, flowers, medicine natives, pears, native plum, berries and whatever else I can hunt down in the weeds that is interesting :) I am on 1 acre ~ I pack it in ~ I have about 300 different types of plants right now growing here.

I love the country being a city girl and glad to be here now :) Yac yac yac :)

I really like this site :) I stumbled upon it :)

Do you all ever do round robins? Or seed exchanges :)?

Blessing and so nice to meet you too Liza ~ Have a great night :) Thea

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A gorgeous, happy garden!

26 Jun '06 9:47 pm
Dear Thea, I have this feeling with your garden, that it is very much loved and cared for! And such a huge variety of plants!!Do you think it would be great to share it with us , by sending us some photos? Because a garden doesn't need to be "organized" in order to be healthy and happy, just loved! Like yours.

And I am so happy with your comments in my "In Love Diary"! Because I caused you joy by the photos! That's why you have to share your garden with us : in order to cause joyful feelings in all of us! And...share your secrets of success!

And I am like you : a "city girl" always in love with the countryside . So! Your Pensylvania sounds great!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

weedwoman
contributor
PA

PICTURES ARE COMIN SOON I HOPE

28 Jun '06 12:04 am
Good morning Liza ~ It is 8:00 am here in pa and I have hedges to do for the next week???? ( you should see these babies ~ 13 ft high and far across ~ privit) Anyway it is drizzling and I am happy to be cool while working steadily :)Don't worry I asked the Lord in prayer this morning for help :) I feel that He is here helping me and encouraging me to finish this very big job. My hubby looks and shakes his head when I told him it would be done by the end of this week. I started the beginning of last :)

I forgot to say that I have use equal parts water/milk for spray on blackspot. I haven't seen hardly any since that treatment 2 years ago. I don't use any conventional chemicals on my garden.

I want so badly to work on pictures but now is not the time ~ I must wait 2 weeks?

We'll see :)

God bless you and all ~ Thea :)

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Hedges

28 Jun '06 6:31 am
Are the hedges on your land , Thea ? In NZ privet hedges are a terrible pest ,planted by early English settlers . Their pollen in Spring causes great suffering to asthmatic people ,and they have been outlawed .They are very hard to get rid of .We have some on our land ,they have deep roots. We have had to use chemical sprays ,reluctantly ,on the stumps after they have been chopped back .
Thank you for your advice on milk and water sprays for roses- I`ll try it !
Dixie.

Return to Organic Gardening