Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Vegetables and Herbs

10 Sep '07 3:46 pm
Spring is the season of the year when we anticipate the glories of our own vegetables-it doesn't always work out with the blows that nature throws at us,but still we plan and dream.We don't spray.
I planted some seeds of heirloom tomatoes about 7 weeks ago and every single one has grown.I have about 40 (O dear,I only need about 6-8)
Today I worked with my herbs,putting them into fresh mix.I cannot do without chives and parsley,but I also have oreganum and sage and borage,the latter has started flowering.I have some in big pots by the back door and some in front of the vegetable garden.
Borage is related to the foxglove and I was told that NZ grew foxgloves during the war and shipped it to the Allies for medicinal use.
Dixie.
MG 0222.JPG
Borage,whose leaaves I sometimes use instead of cucumber in salads...parsley and chives.
MG 2233.JPG
Chives and parsley in the garden
tomatoes.JPG
twenty tomato plants(Brandywine)

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Yummy, fresh herbs!

11 Sep '07 1:58 am
Well Dixie, you have taught me something new. I never would have thought of using borage leaves instead of cucumber in salads. I don't usually grow borage because I just never had much use for it. I guess next year I will have to rethink that. I normally grow dill, chives, basil, thymes, rosemary, (parsley some years, not others) and fennel. I grew sweetleaf one year and it self-seeded for a couple of years thereafter, but I didn't have any this year. Thanks for posting your optimistic and very promising seedlings. You will have to keep posting progress reports for us.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Borage

11 Sep '07 6:16 am
Do try it,Faith-it tastes like cucumber but has a much milder taste.I like the decorative blue flowers too that bring the bees.
Dixie

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

12 Sep '07 2:26 am
Ooh, I like that idea too - presumably a borage plant would be much more compact and simple than a cucumber plant. I wonder if they'd grow in England without a greenhouse - must do some research! Thanks for the tip, Dixie.
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

moosey
head gardener

Excesses

13 Sep '07 7:32 pm
Dixie, I have thirty Russian reds - or are they red russians? - tomatoes, and probably over two hundred lettuces of various makes and models. I can't bring myself to drop the extras onto the floor of the glass-house!

I love growing herbs in my flower gardens, and then I forget where they are. So my cooking stays dreadfully bland and boring. Oops.

Hi there Bambi, nice to hear again from you.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Sweetleaf?

20 Sep '07 7:56 am
Hi Faith :)
You mentioned above a herb called 'sweetleaf'. I have never heard of it, can you elaborate on what it is? Sounds interesting.

Moosey, you must have a nice, sunny deck near the kitchen that would support a large pot handy for growing a few common herbs in. At best it would used frequently because of its' convenience ... at worst the cats would agree :-#

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Stevia

21 Sep '07 8:44 am
Sweetleaf is Stevia, a naturally occurring sugar substitute. It is used in some artificial sweeteners. Supposedly you can use a leaf or two in brewed hot drinks as a sweetner. I haven't tried that, but I have tasted the leaves. They are very sweet. I just grew it out of curiosity.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

23 Sep '07 8:12 am
Ok thanks for that, I have heard about Stevia but wasn't sure it was the same plant you were referring to.

yohan
valued member
UK

30 Jun '09 4:28 pm
I haven't try to plant stevia but it seems very interesting to be on my garden.I'm a fan of unique but beautiful plants and this one is really exciting for the sweetleaf features.

beth.iflorist
valued contributor

6 Jul '09 8:46 pm
Borage plants look nice. beth www.iflorist.co.uk

Next

Return to Organic Gardening