MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Worm Bin Composting

5 May '10 12:42 am
I love worms. We have clay soil here so I only find worms in the areas that have been improved and I'm always happy to see them. I carefully move them out of the way of where I'm digging, after thanking them for their hard work.:lol: I'm not sure I could do that if I wasn't wearing gloves though.

Pauly
helper

5 May '10 9:33 am
Tip on clay soil

Pick a plot in your garden. However big you want. Put all your compost there. Grass clippings, leaves, kitchen scraps (only what comes from the ground) etc... Spread it around really good and watch the worms come and multiply and turn your compost into wonderful rich amendment. :mrgreen:
This actually works on any soil.

Pauly
www.wormfarmingrevealed.com
Happy worming,
Pauly

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 May '10 11:13 pm
We're getting plenty of autumn leaves now. \:D/

Vega
helper

19 May '10 4:27 am
I recently read some articles on worm composting and thought I'd love to try it. I'm also a fisherman and could use some worms for fishing with the little ones, so I see worm composting as a double bonus. Although I'm sure some of you who name your worms might not appreciate the use of them as bait. :D

skar88
contributor

15 Aug '10 9:40 pm
Worms are good in composting. I heard that practice is called vermicompost, ants is okay and the moss as well. Put only biodegradable waste and livestock manure. Carnivore waste has bacteria which is harmful
--------------------------
There followed a website for office chairs, which I've removed. - Moosey

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 Aug '10 4:59 pm
skar88 wrote:Worms are good in composting. I heard that practice is called vermicompost, ants is okay and the moss as well. Put only biodegradable waste and livestock manure. Carnivore waste has bacteria which is harmful.

There followed a website for office chairs, which I've removed. - Moosey

--------------------------
Selling office chairs eh? I've always wanted to order an office chair from the other side of the world to put on my compost bin. It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? No compost bin is complete with one of skar88's office chairs decorating the top! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> I mean where else would you sell office chairs but on a gardening forum? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moosey
head gardener

16 Aug '10 5:31 pm
MacFlax, You have just made my very busy, cold, wintry day! Oh dear, dear me - whatever next? You are soooo funny. And hey - this is supposed to be about worm bin composting, after all. So where's your copied and pasted paragraph from e.g. Wikipedia? Hee hee...

No, no, no! Just joking...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

pzonearth

16 Dec '10 6:00 am
Hi fellow wormists. This is my first post at Mooseys...thought I'd share my composting method. I've not bothered with the traditional bins, preferring instead to create either new veggie plots or rejuvenate older plots by simply building up from the ground.

First I lay newspaper (about 5 pages thick) over the ground to cover the plot area. Straw is then spread followed by horse poo (or whatever manure is on offer), then waste vegetation, kitchen scraps etc. My tiger worms are introduced to their new home before the pile is covered with old rugs which can easily be lifted to add more goodies.

My aim is to have 4 main plots with one fallow. the latter will host the worm farm, each in turn on a 3 year cycle. So far I've been amazed at the high earth worm count in the soil beneath the compost after this treatment. http://www.lynnewilson.co.nz

Previous

Return to Organic Gardening