Planting Time?

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Planting Time?

10 Dec '06 9:11 am
Who is planting what in the veg garden at the moment?

Going in this weekend is the following:

Tomatoes
Rockmelon
Watermelon
Golden Beetroot
Silverbeet
Aubergine
Telegraph Cucumber
A few bundles of marigolds and nasturtiums for the bugs :wink:

:D

Hope they are not too late!

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

11 Dec '06 4:36 am
Not much going on in the northern hemisphere at the moment, Pumpkin, although I am still awaiting delivery of some garlic bulbs which I want to plant asap - hope they're not too late either! :D
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

potatoes

11 Dec '06 4:57 am
Could I please mention (O well - Brag ) that we had our first New Potatoes for dinner last night ! Yum ! We used to have them dripping with NZ butter ,but being the age we are now ,have cut down on the butter and have herbs with them .
My Spring spinach went to seed so will get some more plants -I like spinach better than silver beet .I have never tried golden beetroot ,Pumpkin ,does it mess up your plate in a salad as the red beetroot does ? (serious question )
Dixie

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Spuds!

11 Dec '06 6:18 am
Oh yum! Nothing beats the taste of your own spuds does it dixie? =D> dribbling with butter is the best way to enjoy them, tho the herbs are a close second :wink:
What variety do you have? Do you plant one for a maincrop also?

I thought I had lost my tatie plants (I have been away from the garden for quite a few weeks), one day they were there and the next week there was no sign of any growth! (think the compost I had bucketed on was too fresh :oops: ) Yesterday I was weeding and pulled out a jolly great healthy thistle (thanks compost) and hanging off the roots was a spud!
After digging for about 20 minutes I had two buckets full of yumminess, all was not lost. :D

Bambi, do you plant your garlic on the shortest day? I have heard that is the time to get it in the ground, although mine has gone in a few weeks later and suffered no ill effects 8) Hopefully your bulbs will arrive soon, probably about the time I get to lift mine! yippee!

Golden beetroot looks neat growing in the garden along with the red ones. I don't remember from the last time I grew them if there was any mess involved... the water went gold while cooking, but I think they were generally quite well behaved :wink: will let you know soon...
They are heirloom seeds and are supposed to be strong growers. I am trying to plant only veg which will produce seed true to the plant so if these are nice tasting the seeds will be kept 8)

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

12 Dec '06 3:57 am
Pumpkin, I've never actually planted garlic before - this is my first time - so I'm pretty much playing it by ear! I hadn't actually heard the shortest day thing before either, so I think I may try that - it's less than two weeks away now, so I probably would have ended up planting them around then anyway. Hurrah, can't wait!
Author Unknown

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

12 Dec '06 6:48 am
Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest is the old saying :wink:

Last years crop was a little late in being lifted :oops: but they didn't mind, they still tasted so much nicer than any I have bought, so juicy!

I hope you have success with your first attempt cos it is so worth it :mrgreen:

Here is a pic of one of my years supply. Hope this year is as yummy!

Off to plant this morning:

Lettuce (red and green)
Herbs
Carrots

:D
garliic.jpg
Mmmmm

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

12 Dec '06 7:44 am
Dear Pumkin, maybe this was not your intention, but you also sent an excellent artistic photograph! I love the hint of the beautiful white Hydrangea on the left and the lovely head of your cat on the right! And the garlics look so ...unreal because of their white perfection! The other things underneath are sort of garlics or small onions? They also look so perfect! Congratulations for this result of your vegetable gardening!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

WOW!

12 Dec '06 9:53 pm
Pumpkin, if my garlic looks half as good as your haul there, I will be extremely happy! :D But tell me, how do you store them so they don't go off?

Are those shallots you have there too in the basket?

I agree with Liza's sentiments about your photo - very artistic! :D
Author Unknown

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

18 Dec '06 6:37 am
Sorry for the late reply...moving house just before Christmas uses up lots of time :D

There wasn't any artistic intent involved in that pic Liza, they just came from the garden clean-up that way. Splat was very interested tho and took to poking the garlic with her paws so maybe did some re-arranging :D Yes, There are brown and red onions there as well.
This year the onions are growing really well, we have had less rain over the last 2 months than normal, maybe they prefer it a bit drier.

Bambi, I leave the garlic on a very open shelf (or frame with netting pulled over tightly) to dry really well, then trim and just tie up in bunches. Some clever people plait theirs. I have never quite learned the technique, mine always sort of just bunch up into a messy knot! :oops:
Have your bulbs arrived yet? Nearly planting time! :D

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

19 Dec '06 3:11 am
Hi Pumpkin,

Good luck with the house move but don't get too stressed! (Trust me, I'm an estate agent!! :wink: :D)

Well that doesn't sound too difficult - I presume you just need to put them where the air can circulate all around them, yes? Hee hee, might try the plaiting and let you know how I get on - will probably give up in disgust if it's as awkward as you say! :D

Nope, they've not arrived yet and I'm getting panicky!! Also awaiting several Christmas presents too which are only adding to the worry :roll:
Author Unknown

Next

Return to Organic Gardening