Favourite pet and voting

thp73

Favourite pet and voting

12 Aug '05 1:35 pm
I think as the 'Australian House Guest' it was about time I stopped in at the legendary mooseyscountrygarden and wrote a word or two. So here goes.

Having just voted for the famous Smoocher in the Pet Voting Page, I thought I should let everyone really know why Smooch should be in second place where the Poultry entry is. How the Poultry got to second place, is alas, a bit of a mystery to me (personally, I reckon the Head Gardener rigged it). Given the * Rooster would never shut up and had a habit of parking himself and his ladies outside the room I slept in and then starting to crow at 1.00am! The cheek of it!

Just between you and me, I had a celebration beer the day the Rooster and his Hens packed up bags and left town (needless to say, I slept like a baby that night).

Back to Smooch. You see, Smooch was with us for such a short period, but already his absence around the house has been telling. Smooch had that characteristic of 'The Right Stuff'. In comparison, some of the other cats, well, they have 'No Stuff' (of course, I'm talking about the lovable Mugsy). Smoocher - you see, he had charm, character, pizazz. Smooch was a bit like a mans best friend - he was always up to say hello; having a good cat pat and some nights he'd even stay out in the 'Mooseys Country Garden House Guest Room'. And smooch purred like a V8 engine. I mean, he really purred. And not just for a minute or two, like 10 minutes.

Reflecting on smooch, I sometimes wonder if he knew that he would be with us for such a short period of time and to make up for it, he decided to go above and beyond what a normal house cat is expected to do (ie: like most of the other cats, Stumpy excluded, sit around on the house chairs all day doing nothing).

Needless to say, I'm disappointed with Smoochers low ranking on the Pet Voting page. If you've read this far, then go back to the Pet Page and give a vote for a cat who truly was a great companion and who is sorely missed by all those at mooseyscountrygarden.

To burn twice as bright for half as long.

Australian House Guest

Bex
Camberwell, London

Vote Smoocher

12 Aug '05 8:28 pm
Hear hear, go Smoocher, you've got my vote!

I think there is an intrinsic problem with the Page Count category of the Most Valuable Pet competition. I'm sure that the poultry are only in the lead due to the number of times there were moaned about in the journal, as the Page Count does not distinguish between positive and negative mentions. However, webmaster spent so very long writing the nerdy stuff to generate the page count (and he was so very pleased with it) that I think it's here to stay.

moosey
head gardener

13 Aug '05 8:10 am
I happen to know that family members (for example, meeee!) are encouraging block voting by their friends and work colleagues - perhaps it should be that they are ineligible to vote?

And the person who writes the fascinating, riveting gardening journal (also meeeeee!) keeps bleating on - in bold headlines - about not voting for the rooster. People can be easily persuaded, they can be like sheep - no, I don't mean everyone to start voting for the sheep.....
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Eggy
webmaster & eldest son
East Dulwich, London

MVP scoring update

15 Aug '05 1:46 am
I am aware of some of the failings of the new MVP scoring system! Unlike previous Moosey cat contests the MVP is adaptable and flexible ;)

I'm making some changes to the scoring today :

1. I've striped out lots of test votes from myself and bex and moosey, and duplicates from others. The voting isn't infallible.

2. Some of the page count logic has been refined, e.g. Rusty arrived late November 2004 so pages with the word rusty that are dated before that date aren't included.

3. Tracking of Votes : The ONE VOTE PER DAY tracking system we use is a 'best of a bad bunch' solution - each IP address gets one vote per day. This can have hilarious / annoying consequences as per the Moosey Australian house guest using up moosey's daily vote :)

We could use all manner of things to track who has voted and when - cookies, codes, usernames and email addresses etc, all of them have drawbacks and would require voters to type stuff in.
Eggy.

Webmaster & Eldest Son
Mooseys Country Garden

Bex
Camberwell, London

Voting for the rooster

17 Aug '05 11:07 am
So, just to be clear Moosey, you know that every time you tell people in the journal NOT to vote for Rooster, you are in fact voting for the Rooster yourself by mentioning his name... :idea: Or are you hoping that the persuasion is worth the contra-vote, like a supermarket loss-leader...?

moosey
head gardener

18 Aug '05 8:56 am
Re roosters in the journal - I will have to start blanking out the 'rooster' word, replacing it with r****** - will avid readers of the Moosey journal find this acceptable? I might start every morning in the said journal with a memorial visit to Lucky Puss's memorial rose down the driveway - I notice that her 'unluckiness' continues on, as she is currently in last place. Go Lucky Puss, who wasn't very lucky!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden