Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

My new pup, Smokey and prime of life girl, Heidi.

11 Jan '16 1:29 am
Since I just called Moosey a cat lady I guess I'll confess to being a dog gentleman. Leastwise I'm back up to two. Fletcher passed on two years ago but it took retirement for me to get around to 'replacing' him - (as if any dog could). Fletcher, an Australian Shepherd, was a raving beauty as well as a rogue. But my gawd his hair was a lot to deal with - not at all my thing. I'm a wash and wear guy and expect the same from my dogs. But I loved Fletcher to death! What to do. I got a half-aussie/half-heeler. He was flown out to me from Colorado when he was 10 weeks old.

Here he is back in November.

Early December.

Just after Christmas.

Meanwhile Heidi is now six and a half years old. She is still as fit and spry as she ever was.

And every bit as endearing.

They are now best of friends. She is clearly dominant physically and he knows better than to cross her when she is ball or stick mad. But he pushes her to play with him all the time and they have a great time together.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

moosey
head gardener

Re: My new pup, Smokey and prime of life girl, Heidi.

11 Jan '16 7:40 am
Greetings, dog-gentleman-friend! Thanks for the intro to the new chap, so pretty (hope he doesn't mind) and the pointiest nose that should be able to help his body squeeze through the smallest of gaps in the fence or hedge!

Love the questionable pose, the big brown dog Escher we look after does that in the middle of the dog park, whence he is immediately surrounded by other dog owners saying 'look at that'. I think he misinterprets this. An indelicate phrase which rhymes with 'fog morn' pops into the mind. But in polite company (i.e. the dog park) we claim it to be a yoga pose.

Enjoying retirement? You betcha! Have a groovy year, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Mark

11 Jan '16 11:46 am
Yes her bare all pose is really just that yoga pose where she is relaxing and feeling gravity pulling her into the center of the earth. (Fortunately the couch was there to catch her.) Realizing I was a on a family friendly forum I was careful to select a picture that left something to the imagination. (Plus she is actually wearing a g string.)

Retirement is splendid. I'm making a weight loss a priority (along with repair of gimpy knee), probably not unrelated. But I'm still getting out on regular walks. I just want them to be longer and faster paced.

The boy does have a very narrow face. Heidi also has a long narrow face, best appreciated in that last photo. But I think she'll wind up the largest and heaviest of them, though he may already be the fastest. (His talents are being wasted herding Heidi and two gimpy knee'd oldsters.
Mark in California

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

14 Jan '16 5:11 am
Happy to hear that Smokey and Heidi are such good friends now. It's lovely when that happens with a new pup.

Enjoy your retirement!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Jan '16 2:41 am
Aww. :)
Heidi climbs trees? :shock:
(I won't comment on the yoga.)

Mark

19 Jan '16 5:57 am
Yep MacFlax, in fact Smokey has started following up where he can. His agility is pretty damned impressive for 5 months old. At the dog park Heidi glides over the boulders much bigger than she is lining the bay, looking for abandoned tennis balls. He has started following her. He still has to pick his way carefully where she glides over them like a wolf, but he is getting quicker at it.

Thank you FenWillow. Retirement is a wonderful thing so far. I'm thinking of keeping it up again next year. =)
Mark in California

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

23 Jan '16 3:21 pm
Please keep the gorgeous doggie pics coming.

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden