riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

A charming, new, most lovable fellow!

24 Apr '13 2:44 am
Well. The coast is now clear to tell ya'll about that-so-quickly-into-my-heart-and-beloved new katkin: Bosque! Pronounced "bos-kee," Spanish for "forest." Bosque is a county to the southwest of us that we love. Bosque, mine katkin, is a marbled ginger and white tabby. Hubband kept exclaiming he (the cat :lol: ) "looks just like a slab of wood." Well, that just could not go on long at all. :roll: So, we liked the name and so did fella. I was out feeding barn crew (Lady Coppurr, Leonardo, Bonita, Chez, and Posey) one evening and way down at the South Woods I hear this raucous meow answering me calling in the others. Here he came, a not large of size, but immense of personality, a tomcat with hyper-charm. Very affable to all kits that were the same to him (amazing, had never observed this before in a full male) but an astounding, powerful whirl of pure fury to any other toms!!! The fluffy grey and white tom left four very close piles of his fur one night, needless to say have not been pestered by him since!

The coast is clear because one morning (after having a very healthy him for six+ weeks) I put him outside and he just collapsed on the doormat and couldn't get up. Raced to vet who worked me in. I thought he had been poisoned. Mike did blood work and preped blood smears, he would keep him overnight. He called with results just as I walked in at home. Bosque was immuno-suppresed (we could never find out why) and had a blood parasite. Before that could even register, he said Bosque had LESS than 5% of his blood volume and was essentially dying. No time for mental impairment or shock. There are two kinds of parasite, one appears outside of the blood cell, the other inside. He said the parasite appeared to be inside the cell. I listened, stunned, when he said that one had no cure. A test could be sent off to Texas A&M to confirm it for $160. A blood transfusion would cost $150. No question, wanted the transfusion. Well. Mike called early the next morning, herself is holding breath, said the smear couldn't be the no cure type because Bosque was bright and chipper after the transfusion. Eating breakfast with gusto and purring his unmistakeable B-52 bomber purr! Brain flashed handstands and backflips to celebrate for joy, body dared brain to even send any signals like that: consequences dire. Picked up Bosque that afternoon, very hard to discern who was happier. He was on an antibiotic and a steroid pill -both twice per day for 20 days, then 1 steriod/day and those will be finished on the 26th. Fellow is doing great, starting to get back his muscles, but coat is still thin and not happy looking, but oh! Is that charm-YOUR-socks-off personality back full throttle, which I just drink in by the minute! Have to be careful when Samwise is present, or he gets hugely jealous, those green eyes essentially arcing arrows at the usurper. But Bosque understands and is unflappable. So am very careful not to use the same terms of endearment for him that I have for Samwise.

Methinks that rascal Jace guided Bosque our way, saying: "Do I know the home for you! They just love cats with tons of mischievousness and purrsonality . . . ."

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: A charming, new, most lovable fellow!

3 May '13 8:32 am
O my dear B! I'm, so pleased you found a new kitty to keep your lap busy. Welcome to Moosey's Bosque!! I hope to hear plenty more stories of your antics (but perhaps ones not involving the vet!).

8)

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

11 May '13 9:36 pm
Oh, what an ordeal for Bosque, and for you. I'm glad he came through okay. I love his name!

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

15 May '13 9:58 pm
Golly! I missed your post, Kerole, sorry. Bodacious little sir does indeed like lap, but we can't indulge indoors because of Samwise. Him would totally get his nose out of "joint!" :) Bosque is a joy. When you talk to him, he has this neat way of nodding his head around to the lilt of your voice, never losing eye contact. He does this sometimes even before you can start to say anything! When he was so very sick he had to be kept in the foyer in a bun-rab cage, as Maddie has now taken over the hospital cage.When I get the skeezix out in the morning, he balances his hind foots on the door threshold, stretches waaaay out with his front legs and his cutie tail is stretched over his head. Brings a big smile to me every morn! :D This bun-rab cage business, shhh, worked out very well, as hubband has not protested Bosque's continued presence in the house at night! I don't mean to make hubband sound like a grumpus-laroo, he took Maddie being a full-time indoor kitty most graciously, she charmed some of his whiskers off in no time . . . . And afterall, poor chap keeps re-upping on our anniversary! 8)

MacFlax, I have to tell you, I was scared horribly. Bosque was such a champ at taking pills and getting yellow precipitate stuff squirted down his throat! I would put him down on the little blue rug in front of the kitchen sink, and the sweets would sit and wait, looking up at me with a kitty smile in his eyes ~ purring louder than a John Phillip Sousa march ~ waiting as I creaked down to take care of him. I always gave him a big treat, when he finished he would sit on the rug patiently waiting for me to creak back upright! I kid you not, this wee fella really strikes a cool chord in your heart.

b. and B.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Bonny

19 May '13 3:16 am
What a wonderfully lovely description, he sounds so adorable.
I hope you and yours are all well. I heard about the tornadoes in your area.

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

19 May '13 4:33 am
He most certainly is adorable, plus!
Tornadoes. Of all storms, they scare me the most. Cleburne is only twenty-two miles away, yikes! We haven't been there yet, but the pictures I've seen look bad. Everyone is fine, but one of the "yours," Bosque, turns out to be afraid of thunder. No consoling him either. And this kitty is THE definition of loud, scratchy yowl! Hubband got a tad huffy. Am going to check out getting him a Thunder Coat (I think that is what they call them) which is snug fitting and covers everything but head, neck and hips. They are supposed to comfort the cat and make it feel more secure. Otherwise, we came out with heavy rain and a bit of hail. Whew! [-o<

love,
b.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 May '13 2:47 pm
Ah, I have heard of those for dogs, I immediately thought of it. So they come in cat size too? I hope it helps poor little Bosque.

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden