Maddie

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

Maddie

28 Feb '13 5:28 am
Once Momma Cat was spayed, I named her Madison Momma Cat, short version Maddie. Oh so much better, happier days those. I haven't written about this because I couldn't for the longest, and then when Fluff-Fluff got sick I just did not want to. Now sweetie Percy. . . am beginning to wonder about cat
justice. . . .

The same godawful day of the Connecticut shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in December, someone shot Maddie in her right hind leg. She came home from a day's jaunt that evening at suppertime with it dangling, I was incredulous because kitties with broken legs are a rarity. Couldn't get into to vet (indeed, life without vets would be unthinkable) until Monday. When she brought in the x-rays showing the bullet fragments, I went from zero to infinity roaring angry. But as she told me of the damage, I hemorrhaged and wilted. The bullet took out her knee, shattering and breaking the two small lower leg bones and damaged the end of the femur. Because of the damaged femur head, there was nothing to anchor plates to. I managed to hold it together as she told me the leg would have to be amputated at the hip, but not for long. And I have cried many grieving tears since. They kept her that Monday night and gave her pain medication. Sorry, will have to stop for a time. Surgery early Tuesday morning. Went to bank. Went to pick her up. When they brought her sweet, groggy self to the room, I froze in shock. The surgical area a weal of horrific red. Big blanket stitches. Thanked Dr. F. Where my heart was when I gently held her, murmuring words of love as I placed her in my hospital cage, I know not. I died incrementally for weeks, would care for her, pet her, go to master bedroom, stuff a pillow over my face so she couldn't hear and bawl. It took her three days to begin to recover from surgery and commence the adjustment to whatever the new normal is to be. Because she never let me pick her up, that still makes her nervous. We just had great admiration sessions, much purring, petting and she would stand up on her hind legs a bit to rub my knee. I went about a week later and bought a much bigger cage and another new soft, fluffy bed. All of which she greatly appreciates. She is doing better, still has not gotten really good at the balancing it takes, but she is alive and still her very dear self. I have to keep telling myself that over and over. Hubband has pointed out that whoever shot her meant to kill her, and that between she and I she is still here. I know he is right. We have lived here for twenty years, never, ever anything untoward to the pets, other than gas driller jerk. But the act is still unfathomable and searing. The minister at a ceremony for those dear little children and the adults said there are "those who choose to do evil." He put it very well.

And in the midst of all this, the Monday night Maddie stayed at the vet's, that evening the coyotes came right up to the backdoor to snatch Jace. God, I miss him so. He was the chief daytime lap curler-upper, the rascal, mischievous kitty capable of intelligent mind boggling stunts, the one who played so avidly and inventively with his toys. We used to play a game of hide and seek with his favorite mousie which he delighted in. Who was always with you whilst you did stuff in the kitchen. Who wagged his tail enthusiastically from side to side whenever you talked to him, commencing to purr immediately. I so miss his precious, perky self. Requiescat in Pace, little one.

Must stop. Wrote this in the sunbright of day. Hubband is on two week trip. We have never been apart for such a stretch of time. I miss him lots during the day, but the nights are the hardest to take. And this has all been a downer. Have not been able to write about garden, that would seem to suggest a cavalier heart about all this.

You are such dear friends, thank you for listening,
b.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Maddie

28 Feb '13 7:25 am
Oh my word B, I can feel your very real pain dear thing. I am sorry for your loss but am pleased you rightly felt you could spill it all out here.

A cyber-hug for you. Know that I am sitting alongside you having a quiet cup of tea and thinking of cats past.

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

28 Feb '13 8:04 am
Thank you so, Kerole. And I will sit with a nice hot cup of Darjeeling tea with you on my Tasajillo Bluebonnet bench. (((Hugs)))

b.

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

28 Feb '13 8:17 am
Thank you so, Kerole. And I will sit with a nice hot cup of Darjeeling tea with you on my Tasajillo Bluebonnet bench. (((Hugs)))

b.

moosey
head gardener

4 Mar '13 7:43 am
Oh Bonnie, dear friend, these cats... Thinking hugely of you, and hugs from here as well. You can write every day, if you like! Every day there's a different feeling when a cat is lost, hmm...

OK, I'm off swimming for the arthritis hip, wondering how long the jolly thing is going to last. Gardening hip, perhaps? Except I've been a bit detached from the garden the last week. Sitting around on chairs hip, more like.

All the very best, Bonnie, and all the best for Maddie. Love, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

aleezysam

12 Nov '13 6:50 pm
Am almost certain these pictures will brighten the day and aching hearts. Both subjects are complete charmers, and the photographer: astoundingly talented.

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden