Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Chooknook at Mooseys

14 Apr '07 6:42 pm
Well now Moosey - your Henworld sounds a very interesting Rumpus room concept .Are you going to have stereophonic music playing for their entertainment as well ? Then again they might decide that they prefer scratching in the Moosey garden ,and ignore your provision for them .Our two little pet chooks lived till they were 15 years old. I'm sure they know when they are loved .
Dixie.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Worried

15 Apr '07 7:04 pm
Guys, I'm really worried about our Moosey. It is not quite normal to build a playground for your chickens. I have no problems with a hen party (I'm a modern, liberated kind of man) but this strikes me as a bit of a cockup. A birdbrained idea, in fact.

And I was quite prepared to dismiss it as such until I found that Moosey had written the following on the 'Mystery Tree' thread: "but I chickened out of posting a reply"

Eggy, I'm really worried about your mom. Why don't you give your family doctor a call and ask him to go check out the situation. In fact I think he might need to keep an eagle eye on Moosey.

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Now, now guys.

16 Apr '07 3:51 am
You should all allow Mary some leeway here. She is just having a bit of fun. I loved reading about her plans for the Chook playground. Who knows, if we bring home a batch of baby ducks this afternoon, I might be inspired to build a similar playground for the ducks. Even birds need a little coddling now and then.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

16 Apr '07 7:20 am
LOL Jack :D Loved your chooky post :wink:

I can't wait to see what moosey is going to do :wink: Having seen first hand the way the moosey garden is presented I think if this chooky playground comes into being then it will be brilliant! :mrgreen: The Head Gardener has such a way with her plants and the placement of all things garden so.... *waiting, waiting...* hehe

Gosh dixie, chickens live that long? wow, do they lay all that time? << chook novice here O:)

~ You will love your ducks Faith. They can be naughty little creatures sometimes but they are adorable. My ones come paddling into the veg garden with me when I weed or dig over an area so they can get any bugs that are flung out. They are very good as the pest damage is a lot less than it was before the taming of the ducks :wink:
They are quite selective too and don't do any damage, apart from squashing a few seedlings trying to emerge :D
However, they do love tomatoes and have me in fits of laughter when one will go racing past with a big red tomato suck on the end of its' beak and the rest of the clan giving chase! :mrgreen:

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Chooky nook

16 Apr '07 10:07 am
Jack ! ( patiently explaining with a sigh :roll: )it is absolutely completely NORMAL to build a playground for chooks .Doesn't EVERYONE ? I don't think it is necessary for the family doctor to chook Moosey out .
Dixie

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

16 Apr '07 11:02 am
LOL! :mrgreen:

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Ohhh

16 Apr '07 4:09 pm
OK....... SORRRRYYY!!!

Now I know what my teachers meant when they said New Zealanders are different :? :? :?

Eggy
webmaster & eldest son
East Dulwich, London

Henworld

17 Apr '07 8:20 am
Henworld. Hmmmmm..... LOL :) :) I've lived thru 30 odd years of my mothers madness and am a little concerned about this one... ;) I have dispatched my friend the manly garden helper to investigate.
Eggy.

Webmaster & Eldest Son
Mooseys Country Garden
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Jay Bee
honoured helper

Re: Worried

17 Apr '07 12:33 pm
Jack Holloway wrote:Guys, I'm really worried about our Moosey. It is not quite normal to build a playground for your chickens. I have no problems with a hen party (I'm a modern, liberated kind of man) but this strikes me as a bit of a cockup. A birdbrained idea, in fact.

And I was quite prepared to dismiss it as such until I found that Moosey had written the following on the 'Mystery Tree' thread: "but I chickened out of posting a reply"

Eggy, I'm really worried about your mom. Why don't you give your family doctor a call and ask him to go check out the situation. In fact I think he might need to keep an eagle eye on Moosey.

pssssst, Jack, you're treading on eggshells there. I eggspect the family doctor spotted something unusual years ago when Eggy was hatched.

moosey
head gardener

Henworld

17 Apr '07 2:43 pm
Henworld is going well. One problem - the attention span of the Moosey chooks, who tend to wander off. But so far they have REALLY enjoyed the digging and scratching side of things. I will write up a serious article in the garden design section, just as soon as I've found a rooster sculpture for the central tower. Hee hee! I also thought I could have swinging seed-balls as tempters.

Faith, I am looking forward to seeing your Duckworld! Roll on June!

Jack, the best thing that is different about New Zealanders is that they can beat South Africans at cricket, and rugby! Ha!

And thanks, Jaybee, for making me cackle out loud!
In fact, thanks to all of you, for taking this hen-thing seriously! What else can you expect - no, eggspect - from someone whose elder son and heir calls himself Eggy and describes himself as 'eggylicious'?
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Next

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden