Judith ,the cat lady

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Judith ,the cat lady

23 Feb '07 9:48 am
I have just been reading about Mooseys friend ,Judith ,in Mooseys journal (the main page in the centre ,for new readers ).It is such a touching story ,what a special lady -
Dixie.

cajunangi
distinguished helper
South Louisiana

24 Feb '07 1:03 am
I know, when I first found this place I read everything I could so I could "see" who lived here. She sounds like a sweetheart...everyone needs a lil kitty in their lives. Mystic is a lot of kitty being a Maine Coon..lol

Im a sucker for an animal of any sort tho so I can say anything. I have a rescue that chose to show up on my doorstep not to long after Katrina. He was an orange and white tabby, filthy and bloody. Someone had burned his nose almost to the point of losing it. It took him months to come to me...he was so scared. Now its been a year and I walk outside and Ive got an immediate shadow... Im going to take some pix today and share with you guys my special man...his name is creamcicle....he still has trouble with his nose but hes getting alot better.
May we all take the time to stop and smell the roses..if we dont then why do we grow them?
AngelaImage

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Moosey and Judith and Angie

24 Feb '07 3:22 am
I warned Moosey to be careful about hanging around those homeless critters. Now, look what has happened; she is becoming a foster mommy. Actually, I agree with Dixie and think that is wonderful; I know that I would not be able to give up the foster kitty at the end. We'll see what happens when that time comes. I have rescued many kitties, both wild and tame. Bottle raised several and kept most of them myself.

Angie, your story about Creamsicle was so touching. I am glad he found you. Do you like naming your animals after foods? I have to admit that for a while, that was my habit. I had a cat named Heavenly Hash and a horse named Rocky Road, both after ice cream flavors. Isn't it funny how we make those associations? Of course, there was also maybe the sweetest cat ever that I rescued as a tiny kitten and bottle raised. She was a pure white, longhair and I first named her Grease Monkey becuase she had one little black smudge on top of her head. When she grew up, the smudge went away and she turned into a little schitzo cat, so I changed her name to Syble (of the multiple personality). Unlike most cats, she loved to be carried in your arms on her back like a human baby. I guess because of all those feeding sessions with the bottle.

Looking forward to your pics of Creamsicle.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

cajunangi
distinguished helper
South Louisiana

24 Feb '07 5:34 am
Ive rescued my share of cats, my dad rescued one when I was younger and brought home this lovely lil black and white ball of fluff. He named her Tuesday as that is the day he found her. She had pristine white forepaws and chest and cheeks. She got ahold of a blush brush one day and painted herself up. Pranced around to show us and immediately set to cleaning her self up. I have had many many cats,and all kinds of animals inbetween. I had a ferret named peanut that I found outside he was adorable and fun. My neighbors had a cat named Emma that was preggers and I kept her at my house til she gave birth. She decided my bed looked better than the box I had for her so she had her kittens in my bed. I was up there with her and she crawled all over my lap while she was having them! One lil striped tiger kitten landed in my hands as she came out. I named her Abita Springs. I loved that lil tiger so much. She got out and got herself with "kittens" and she had them in the house she was born in, with me in attendance and helping her. she was such a lil sweetie. While she was pregnant she lived to lay on me. She was sitting one time and she was such a tiny thing that she couldnt lick herself ANYWHERE with out rolling over. It was comical. She had 4 of the pretties kittens I have ever seen. 2 girls 2 boys. The girls were white and I named them Michoud and Sheridan. the boys were bourbon and toulouse. When the hurricane came thru I hadnt planned on leaving. My dad came and got me and the kids and there was no way to take the cats. I put them upstairs in my room with two litterboxes and a whole bag of food. There was a water feeder the size of a kentwood bottle. I didnt think Id be gone more than the weekend til the hurricane passed. When the hurricane had passed my bedroom was still intact. My neighbor went and checked on them for me as she didnt leave the city. I sent a friend of mine to pick them up once we found out the damage to the house and I dont know what she did with them. I never heard from her again. I miss them all so much.
Wow sorry for rambling. I love me some kitten tho theres nothing as cute as a kitten!
May we all take the time to stop and smell the roses..if we dont then why do we grow them?
AngelaImage

moosey
head gardener

26 Feb '07 7:32 am
I love your cat rescue stories, cajunange. Cats are so resilient, and they always provide the most valuable of friendship and company, even if they do it in their own way.

I've been investigating the more practical side of my friend Judith's little 'business' and I'm going to get her a trapping cage, perfectly safe to use. The best thinking here is that a local vet is happy to take the trapped cat immediately for neutering. Then they're released as soon as possible back into the wild. However the kittens can easily be 'homed' - Judith has fostered dozens of 'wild' kittens, and they've all turned into the most beautiful adult house cats.

Our local official animal shelter will not help wth feral kittens, even if they're very tame and house-broken-in, so to speak. They just - well, let's not go there!

Little things can make big differences, I reckon!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Ali

Judith

9 Mar '07 10:15 am
I would like to send some money to Judith to assist with feeding the strays. I have much admiration for her. How can I do this ?

moosey
head gardener

9 Mar '07 10:48 am
Ali, This is such a kind thing - would you be able to write to me moosey@mooseyscountrygarden.com and I'll sort something out.

I've been doing some reading up via google - this programme of humanely helping the strays is called TNR - trap, neuter, return. All kittens are vetted, fostered and then adopted out.

Thanks again, and please get in touch!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Offerings directly from the Heart!

9 Mar '07 9:04 pm
I am myself deeply touched by Judith' Giving!! I read about her just before leaving to Oxford, a few weeks ago, and then forgot to write what I felt..Such Acts and Offerings directly from the heart, are worth, and of equal HIGH value, either being addressed to animals, or humans!!

Why am I saying this?? Because , me, and so many other women (why mostly women???) in my homeland-Greece, acting like Judith , either privately or belonging to groups, were very often blamed, for not caring about...." ...so many hungry children around you , and you behave like fools for these....beasts!". Well, ALL these people with this similar...sick approach, have to know once and for all!! that humans like Judith respect and love HUMANS primarily, THAT IS WHY they care so much for the animals! It is SUCH A NATURAL OBLIGATION for them!. Because, people like Judith , IF they were ever confronted personally by similar human misery, they would ACT in the way they ACT for the animal misery!!

SO! It has to be clear, once and for all : the REAL animal lovers, are primarily HUMAN LOVERS! Because, they know deep down, that we are ALL brothers and sisters in this HOLY CREATION! Humans, Animals, and Plants! We are ALL created by the very same SOURCE, out of EQUAL, sacred LOVE!.

( You can read here , if you wish , an old post of mine on strays of Greece : http://forums.mooseyscountrygarden.com/ ... php?t=1049 )
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

10 Mar '07 4:29 am
" ...so many hungry children around you , and you behave like fools for these....beasts!".

I agree wholeheartedly with you Liza, and believe more strongly than you can imagine that animals are not inferior or subordinate to humans in any way whatsoever, and I cannot stand it when people say that sort of thing! In fact, these people don't seem to realise that, without those very same animals, we would pretty quickly cease to exist ourselves - it's not just the animals we eat, but it's those which do all the "jobs" in nature which we barely notice and it's such a finely balanced web that if, for example, cats were taken out of it, I dread to think what would happen to the rest of the world!

It's for this reason that I never actually give to human charities, only animal ones, because I believe that more people give to human charities so it's my small way of evening out the balance.

Sorry for that little rant, everyone, but what Liza said really struck a chord in me and I just had to get on my soap box then! I'm back to normal now I've said it though :wink:[/quote]
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

moosey
head gardener

10 Mar '07 8:04 am
Anyone who has not enjoyed the company of a cat or dog - particularly when gardening - has missed out on something indescribably rich, that's my very biased view. Dogs know when you're sad, or sick, or taking a journey. Cats of course zoom in and out of your space at will, leaving lighter traces of their cat-love and special cat-energy behind.

I can't speak for snakes, Bambi, or for birds and pigs and other cool pets. And I haven't started on horses - and cavies (guinea pigs) whch my dearest ex-maths student used to breed, and still breeds, and still sends me mail with exquisite cavie details.

Back to the T=Trap N=Neuter R=Rescue programme:

Well, so far in the last month Judith has TNR'ed 10 of the adults and adolescents in her cat colony. They're back in their paddock, feeding well in the hedge, no problems. While two of the remaining free females are in kitten, so we'll see what transpires for them.

Liza, I know what you mean about 'animal charities'. You and I have both been teachers - of difficult children - and we know that time is the biggest gift of all. It's priceless.

When I worked at my school with Judith she would help me track down absent students, trying to find them and even drive them back to school. Golly, she put in hours. We both learned that little things do make a difference!

Yippee! Off to the vet. Rusty is getting his dog-injection for parva virus. Must stop prattling on. Love to youse all!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden