moosey
head gardener

Dogs and Sticks

30 May '18 8:55 am
winnie-stickriver.jpg
Winnie
pebbles-stickriver.jpg
Pebbles
The Border Collie dogs looooooooove retrieving sticks thrown into water. Here they both are at the local river. Get the stick! Get the stick!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Dogs and Sticks

30 Jun '18 5:03 pm
They're so lovely. :)
About the sticks, do you need to check what sort of sticks? It's quite a usual thing to throw sticks for dogs to fetch and I've done it myself at various times, so I was surprised and a little worried when I read somewhere that it's not a good idea because of the possibility of splinters in the mouth. I'd never thought of that, don't know if it's a common concern or just where particularly splinter-y trees grow?

moosey
head gardener

30 Jun '18 6:11 pm
I always throw them in a ridiculous direction so that the dogs haven't a hope of catching them in their mouths. Agree about the splinters, though - try to choose suitable sticks. Pebbles is so proud when she's picked up her stick - she trots around, head held high, tail bouncing from side to side. Love M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

15 Sep '18 1:27 am
Gooood dog Pebbles. :D

billyborden423
valued helper
cyprus

18 Dec '18 7:22 pm
You have really a trained dog. This is so hard to retrieve the sticks from the water.

EdwardThirlwall

24 Apr '19 6:26 pm
I had a dog and he would not fetch. It's a breed- specific kind of habit isn't it? I mean, if your pooch doesn't wanna go and retrieve or go after something, it's not like you could do anything to force them to change their mind about it all!

Return to Cats and Dogs in the Garden