Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

From the Alps Down to the Mediterranean Sea / and Vice-versa

21 Aug '06 12:35 am
Hello again, dearest ones!

I am back like I promised, just to share with you ( I'll do my best..) these tiny parts of our dearest Earth's Gardens I've experienced a short time ago. Household in order, suitcases in the attic, clothes clean.. And the garden?? Oh!! I've not been out since I last wrote you in "Grilled Hydrangeas", cause it has been raining almost all the time...Yes, it is so sad...But how could I go out anyway, when things inside the house are in a mess? I'm sure , the girl gardeners and some (all??) of the boys will completely understand me...

My dear husband has always been the organizer of our trips, a crazy trip lover, me not so much really... Yes! He is the inspiration,the brain, and the driver! I fully trust him, cause he -- almost...-- always knows what we both long to see, and feel, and touch! To see a lot of green first of all! To smell it! To touch and hear the leaves of a forest tree -- this is a magical feeling! Touching the Source, almost..To watch the sunshines playfully touching the shining brilliant green moving leaves...What a blessing...And , oh! This Delphinium Mediterranean blue! What a combination!

This time we drove from Belgium down and along the borders of Germany and Switzeland with France, always being in France.. In France we stopped for two nights in Annecy, at the feet of the French Alps , in the area called "Haute Savoie" (:Upper Savoy). So close to Mont Blanc.Then, we headed, crossing Italy, to the Port of Venice,in order to take the ferry to Corfu/Greece. Here we had to stay for one night in Padova, 30Klms from Venice.We arrived at Corfu in 24 hours. After almost two weeks stay, we started driving up to Belgium again, this time crossing Italy, Austria, and Germany, climbing up to the Austrian and German Alps.Oh, dear! What a combination of green and blue Earthly Gardens!! Why can't we all live in Peace in our colourful Gardens??

But from now on, in order not to bore you, I will divide my Earthly Gardens story into 4 parts/posts:

1-- Lovely Annecy

2-- French Alps / Mont Blanc

3-- The Island of Corfu, and

4-- Bavarian and Austrian Alps/ The City of Salzbourg.
Annecy-France.jpg
Idea of our itinerary-the tiny island on the left of the word Grece, is Corfu..jpg
The wider area of Mont Blanc in the French Alps..jpg
Last edited by Liza on 22 Aug '06 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

1--Lovely Annecy!

21 Aug '06 1:09 am
My daughter, Alexandra, had been in Annecy a few years ago for a Cartoons International Festival. She was so excited: "Oh, Mama! This was the French Venice! Lovely!". And the old, medieval city of Annecy does look like Venice! So cute , and clean, and flowering! Full of friendly people, life and joyous energy, flea markets,lovely restaurants! The equally beautiful modern city of Annecy, though, is built close and around the famous lake of Annecy. About 25Klms further, on the right side of the city of Annecy in the previous map, there is the famous winter resort of Chamonix and the Mont Blanc: the tallest mountain of the world after Ararrat, with 4.810m of height, always white! There, is also found the very long tunnel of Mont Blanc, where a few years ago some 30 people lost their lives, when a long, huge vehicle took fire and exploded...Unforgettable tragedy... While we were passing through it, with obligatory distance 100m the one car from the previous one, my husband and I were holding our breaths, like in a funeral...My heart was beatting madly and I was overcome by a deep sadness...

And here I send you some photos of the lovely Annecy! While taking them, I was feeling your presence ...in my heart..
Annecy (14).jpg
Annecy (24).jpg
Annecy (25).jpg
A lovely big Parc of the modern Annecy
Annecy (28).jpg
Annecy (27).jpg
Annecy (17).jpg
Walking by the lake.
Annecy (21).jpg
Annecy (2).jpg
Annecy (1).jpg
Annecy (16).jpg
Last edited by Liza on 21 Aug '06 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

2-- French Alps-Mont Blanc.

21 Aug '06 6:38 am
Always white and hugely tall, Mont Blanc! 4.810m of height! My!

And here we are at Annecy, a whole sunny day to enjoy and relax, away from the car and the motor ways! And being so close to Mont Blanc and not visiting the Parc Merlet, where we could come across with lovely "wild" animals, naturally living, completely protected?? Of course, not!! And up we go! With temperature 35C, walking the last 1000m, until we reached the Parc with its restaurant and breathtaking view! Up to 1600m! And with a temperature of 30C!

Mont Blanc is now just opposite us, facing us! You have this vague feeling of this view not being real, this white giant covered with wiped cream... Closing my eyes I can touch it...
The restaurant is simple and traditionally Swiss-like, old wood, blooming balcony, although it is actually French...And here are two funny looking lamas! I just looove their long eyelashes and fearless funny look!They are so close to us..All little children around me have faces shining out of amazement (and if the little child inside you is still alive, buy the DVD by Disney " The Emperor'S New Groove"! You will adore lamas here, and you will have such a great time, laughing with all your heart...).

We start walking up into the woods , only meeting some of the promissed animals.. Everybody doesn't move. Not a sigh,wishing to admire them , respecting their privacy. We are mostly families with children. We exchange looks and smiles like old friends...A lot of young children! I love children! Animals and children are blessed with the same purity and beauty...

And here, just try to be by my side...Because I was thinking so much of you, while taking each one of these pictures...
Mont Blanc (38).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (2).jpg
Parc Merlet.jpg
Parc Merlet (1).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (1).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (4).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (5).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (6).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (7).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (8).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (9).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (10).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (11).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (12).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (13).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (14).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (15).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (16).jpg
Parc Merlet-Mont Blanc (17).jpg
Parc Merlet-notice panels.jpg
Last edited by Liza on 29 Aug '06 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Mont Blanc

21 Aug '06 7:29 am
Thank you for taking us there ,Liza ,to the 'real' Mt Blanc .I have only seen pictures of the mountain at a distance ,and didn`t imagine it is like this ! Capturing the sky -rider in this setting is an amazing photo.
Dixie.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Thank you so much, dear Dixie!

22 Aug '06 12:23 am
I always like sharing with you!

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

3-- The Island of Corfu

22 Aug '06 1:11 am
Corfu is the capital of the Ionean Islands of Greece. It is situated in the upper northern west part of Greece, very close to Italy, Albania and Croatia.

Historically, Corfu is inhabited since the Palaeolithic Age. It is refered by Homer (:800BC)in his Ulysses' (:Odysseas) adventures as " The Island of Faeakes". According to the Greek mythology, Faeax was the son of god Possedon (:Neptune) and the very beautiful Kerkyra, daughter of Ladon and Metopi. That's why the Greek version of Corfu is Kerkyra ( "Corfu" is the name given by the Venetians, who occupied Corfu/Kerkyra from 1207-1797, because the old fortress has two higher points/tops= two "coryfes" in Greek).The ancient Corintheans , who belonged to the Ionean ancient Greek tribe (:Hindoeuropeans) created the first city of Corfu to become strong, rich, and famous. That's why the Sea around the Ionean Islands is called Ionean Sea. Between 1797 and 1810 the island was under Russian and French occupation, successively. In 1814 it started being under Enlish occupation, until 1863, when finally it was returned to "mother" Greece, under the Treaty of London.

Corfu is one of the green islands of Greece, full of silvery green olive trees and beautiful, slim, bright green cypresses, which appear amongst the olive trees from afar, like fine brush-strokes of light green in a painting...Since I was very little ( I was born here) , I've been in love with this artistic combination of silvery and bright greens...The greenish-blue transparent sea matches perfectly with the two greens, like it always happens in Divine Art.. I find the country side and the natural colours of Corfu are more or less the same in this part of Europe, like in Southern Italy.

Corfu is much loved by people around the world but the English people are especially enchanted by it...English and not Greek is the mainly spoken and heard language , when going to a Corfiat restaurant! But even the Greek here is funny spoken : it is actually a Greek language with Italian accent! Very musical Greek indeed! And it is so normal after so many years of Venetian occupation. The city of Corfu and its architectural style is very much Vetetian, too! I would say, the city looks like Venice without its channels!

Well, dearest ones. I will now present you here some photos of Corfu first, and then, separately, some of its flowers.
City of Corfu.jpg
Corfu map.jpg
City of Corfu (1).jpg
City of Corfu (3).jpg
City of Corfu (4).jpg
City of Corfu-The Old University.jpg
Corfu- Agios Stefanos.jpg
Corfu- Garitsa.jpg
Corfu island.jpg
Corfu, ancient Temple.jpg
Corfu-Kouloura.jpg
Corfu-Museumof Asian Culture and Art.jpg
Corfu-Old Fortress and Spianada Square.jpg
Corfu-Pontikonissi.jpg
Corfu-Spianada Square.jpg
Silver shining olive trees woodland.jpg
Silver shining olive trees woodland (1).jpg
City of Corfu-St. Spyridon St..jpg
Agios Spyridon (:St. Spyridon) is the Protector Saint of the Island of Corfu. His church is found in this street.
Last edited by Liza on 28 Aug '06 10:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

b) Some of Corfiat blooms.

22 Aug '06 1:31 am
Being inspired all the time by the blooms while walking around with my family, I was always left alone back by them.. while I was taking flowers' pictures..And, unfortunately, I haven't taken pictures of all the flowers I fell in love with, mainly because I was in the car at the precise moment ...Flowers like Wisterias and huge orange Campsis, that Corfiat people seem to be very fond of...
Corfiat blooms.jpg
A lovely white Dahlia.
Corfiat blooms (1).jpg
Hibiscus Sinensis
Corfiat blooms (3).jpg
Solanum Rantonneti, "Royal Robe"
Corfiat blooms (4).jpg
Punica Granatum, called "Rodia" in Corfu. Plenty of them...
Corfiat blooms (5).jpg
A pink Pelargonium and a big Cactus much loved in Corfu for its fruit, called "Francossikia" = French Figtree ( botanical name??)
Corfiat blooms (7).jpg
Solanum Rantonneti " Royal Robe"
Corfiat blooms (10).jpg
Agapanthus
Corfiat blooms (12).jpg
Jasminum Officinale
Corfiat blooms (13).jpg
Bougainvillea
Corfiat blooms (14).jpg
Hibiscus Sinensis
Corfiat blooms (15).jpg
Hibiscus Sinensis.
Corfiat blooms (16).jpg
Campsis Grandiflora.
Corfiat blooms (17).jpg
Nerium Oleander
Corfiat blooms (18).jpg
Hibiscus Syriacus
Corfiat blooms (19).jpg
Hibiscus Sinensis
Corfiat blooms (20).jpg
Nerium Oleander
Corfiat Gardenia.jpg
Corfiat Plumbago.jpg
Plumpago Capensis, Cape plumbago.
fruiting after blooming.jpg
Punica Granatum
Blooming in the hot sand.jpg
Unknown brave beauty.
Last edited by Liza on 28 Aug '06 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Wonderful Photos of a Wonderful Trip

22 Aug '06 7:26 am
Wow! Liza! You sure had the cooks tour. Seems like a dream to me. Fantastic!

Stunned for the moment.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Dreaming...

22 Aug '06 9:14 am
Thank you, my sweet Christopher!! Don't you know that good dreams have to be shared?? And then...Then , they become real!!

Eggy
webmaster & eldest son
East Dulwich, London

Welcome back Liza!

22 Aug '06 9:36 am
Welcome back from your holiday Liza, we've missed your warmth, passion and high spirits :wink:

Lovely pics and good to see lots of insect closeups! I logged into the forums tonight with the intention of updating my roof terrace diary and before I knew it an hour had passed browsing other peoples gardens and travels.
Eggy.

Webmaster & Eldest Son
Mooseys Country Garden
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Next

Return to Garden Tours