smits'spot
honoured member
moorreesburg, south africa

MISSING!

30 Dec '06 12:17 am
Hi Jack
Not sure if its just me, but after a few attempts I can only see 11 of your amazing pics. the others just show those annoying red crosses.
Lynne in the Swartland

smits'spot
honoured member
moorreesburg, south africa

sheepish

30 Dec '06 12:21 am
ok., tried again, for the fourth time....and there they all were. What a great experience for you and your family, Jack!
Lynne in the Swartland

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Loved the Baobabs!

17 Feb '07 6:53 am
I just whizzed through your beautiful photographs. (I'll be back for a more leisurely read through the account of your trip.)

I especially enjoyed seeing more baobabs, something I haven't yet scene except in photos. There are some other baobabs featured in the book "Remarkable Trees of the World" by Thomas Pakenham published by W.W. Norton & Company. Though there are several featured in the book, the ones along the 'Avenue of the Baobabs' at Morondava were especially impressive. You might enjoy seeing these as well some day as they are in Madagascar, perhaps not too far from you?

Thanks for sharing, Mark
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Back on the Limpopo

13 Jul '08 7:55 am
I spent a wonderful 5 days camping under the vast trees on the banks of the Limpopo River with my godmother, cousin and friends on their Game Farm which is now part of the Mapungubwe National Park. ( http://www.sanparks.org/parks/mapungubwe/ ) I saw plenty of game - elephants, kudu, giraffe, zebra, wildebeest and crocodiles amongst the larger animals, as well as smaller antelope like bushbuck, duiker and impala as well as bushpig and a huge variety of birds. More about the birds later. Being a plant person though, it is the beauty of the flora - from spectacular trees to minute flowers only appreciated through the macro lens, all in the grand setting of the river, plains and rocky hills, that I really love.

Here are a few smatterings of the joys I experienced...
Euphorbia.JPG
Going to investigate some aloes, we come upon this fine and unusual example of a Euphorbia tree; some 4m tall it is not large by SA Euphorbia standards
Euphorbia flower detail.JPG
I knew about the latex connection with the little garden plants, but seeing the tree in flower made me understand the connection much better!
Euphorbia and aloes in flower.JPG
The aloes grow right next door. Note the amazingly beautiful shape of the tree's... branches? leaves?
Aloe flowers.JPG
What beauty lies await in the veldt!

jack two

Some river views

13 Jul '08 8:29 am
The river at this time of year is quiet and low - in fact I've seldom seen it flow so strongly in July, and at the moment it criss-crosses its sandy bed, making for a very photogenic setting...
Fever tree.JPG
The great grey-green greasy Limpopo River all set about with Fever Trees wrote Rudyard Kipling in the Just So Stories...
Assorted waders and crocodiles.JPG
I've ever seen so many crocs here; the large bird in the centre is a Goliath Heron and stands about 1.5m tall
Appelblaar.JPG
This is one of the larger types making up the riverine forest. Like so many of the bushveld trees, they have wonderful asymmetrical silhouettes.
Late light.JPG
And again.JPG
And yet again -dead trees are always part of the scene.JPG

jack two

A walk along the river

13 Jul '08 7:02 pm
Some more river shots - and a happy half hour spent on my stomach photographing the teeniest flowers growing on a damp sandy slope IN rather than ON the river!
A walk along the river.JPG
Red Climber on the edge of the river.JPG
From a distance they look like bougainvillea's!
Magenta  flower 3mm across.JPG
The hair, invisible to the naked eye, protects against moisture loss and gathers dew.JPG
Minute tubular white flowers.JPG
Miniature Garden.JPG
50m across the sandbank this chap was taking in the last sun.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

13 Jul '08 7:35 pm
Wonderful photos. I love the close-ups and the late light.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Egads! "In the river rather than on it" .. amid c

14 Jul '08 1:28 am
That's a little worrisome given the apparent size of the croc in the last picture.

Going back to the first of these three new sets, the Euphorbias really are so diverse aren't they? I especially like the Euphorbia detail picture because it shows the odd manner in which the flowers emerge from the cactus like body of the plant. It's like a 'leaf' just splits and out come the flowers along the edge.

The lighting in all of the second group gives those pictures a warm glow, especially the one labeled "Late Light".

I wonder if this area of the park is part of any of those great migrations we see on Nature and National Geographic programs. If so, it must be getting near feeding time again for the crocs.

Thanks for bringing us along Jack.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

jack two

More views of that magical part of the world

14 Jul '08 2:05 am
Here are a few more photos taken during my recent visit to Samaria, my godfamily's game farm on the Limpopo which is now part of Mapungubwe National Park.

Mark, the migrations happen much further north in Africa. 150 years ago the Springbok migration still happened further south. However I have seen herds of buffalo congregate in the Kruger, about 300 animals at the river at the same time: an awesome sight!
Giraffe among the baobabs.JPG
Kudu cows - so who is looking at who.JPG
Bushveld scene.jpg
Golden hour.jpg

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Magical pictures

15 Jul '08 6:55 am
Dear Jack, thanks for posting these magical pictures of a magical place. Your eye for detail is wonderful.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours