A flash visit to Athens.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

A flash visit to Athens.

13 Jun '06 3:01 am
I had to go there urgently this last weekend for frustrating reasons... But I had the chance to pass some precious time around Acropolis, at the Acropolis Metro Station and in the picturesque garden of a tavern at the feet of the Holy Rock, where Parthenon is. The very old and cozy little city of Plaka near the Rock, is full of picturesque tiny streets with lovely taverns and little gardens.
A forgotten but happy Nerium Oleander.jpg
A happy Fig Tree in Plaka.jpg
A lovely corner in a Greek tavern near Acropolis.jpg
A lovely tavern little cat!.jpg
A tiny museum in Acropolis Metro Station.jpg
An inside view of Acropolis Metro Station.jpg
Buddleia and butterfly near Acropolis.jpg
Buddleia, butterfly, and Parthenon.jpg
Close up of a happy Nerium Oleander..jpg
So much like Mugsy and Tsitsiolina!.jpg
The Holy Rock seen from a Greek tavern of Plaka.jpg
Unknown  Beauty.jpg
Very ancient vases in Acropolis Metro Station.jpg
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Very interesting

13 Jun '06 6:07 am
How lucky you are to have any reason to take you to Athens. Those plants are lovely. The Greek kitties are cute too.

It's all Greek to me. :lol: :roll:

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Dear Christopher,..

13 Jun '06 6:56 am
Well, not so lucky in this specific time, though, waiting for my mum to pass away any moment..

But life goes on, there is only Life, so why not being grateful for the quality of life we have in the here and now...And sharing it with all of you..
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

My heart goes out to you.

13 Jun '06 4:12 pm
I know your pain. My own dad is in a bad way too. He is 86 and is in a bad way. To make things even harder is that he is on the west coast and here I am in central Canada, with some 1300 miles apart, but close in my heart. I have been told if I went there he wouldn't recognize me. The logistics of making the trip are just to complicated. My wife has disabilities and needs me (or someone).
My wife recently lost her brother to cancer as well. To honor his memory she planted his favorite flowers, Lilies.

Anyway. We feel your pain. We all do the best we can.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Thank you, Christopher!

13 Jun '06 6:14 pm
But here , in this flowering, friendly Forum, my mind forgets all sort of negative things! Even Death looks like just being only a bustop in the whole , magnificent process of Life! Here, I feel mostly the Rebirth! I feel like a perennial plant in the whole process of my Life's "garden"! And that's why , reacting to my human sadness , I went straight to my computer! To meet all of you, my Forum friends! To "hear" you with my heart's ears and respond with Love!

Don't worry , good Christopher!! Believe me! Your dad will be fine, anyway...

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Liza & Christopher

13 Jun '06 7:28 pm
I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your very sad news.
I am sure I am not alone in saying "My thoughts are with you"
Your forum friend
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

a Living memory

13 Jun '06 7:45 pm
When someone precious to us leaves us through death ,planting a special garden to honour their memory is such a positive thing to do ---creating new life and beauty, of thoughts of our loved one .
Dixie.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Loss and Life

13 Jun '06 8:26 pm
My thoughts are with you, dear friends. I too have planned and planted a garden in memory of the most precious person in my life... And I too am aware that my parents are beginning to grow frail and all time together must be valued; luckily the farm and the gardens are an immense bond, and they spend a large part of their lives in their home on the farm.

Isn't it wonderful, though, how the cycle of life, death and rebirth in a garden helps to give us a sense of perspective in difficult times...

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

13 Jun '06 8:28 pm
Quite often the sadness we feel is for ourselves. Liza you have a wonderful outlook, you can see the whole process, when age is a contributing factor, the life should be embraced and celebrated and allowed to continue its' journey with memories and thoughts left with those who love them.

Life is so short, take care of your loved ones and as Goose says, thoughts are with you and Christopher.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

14 Jun '06 10:08 pm
But since I want to "talk" with you further on this subject, and this space of our Forum is dedicated to "Garden Tours" and not our souls' tours, I will create another topic just for you, on "General Gardening Talk". I will call it "The Cycle of Life". See you there. Lots of Hugs!

Return to Garden Tours