Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

11 Feb '07 6:33 pm
Those are indeed beautiful photos Liza. You do have a good eye for photography.
The Chateau looks quite hauntingly beautiful. :)
Woof?

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Flora & Fauna in the Snow

12 Feb '07 3:13 pm
Hi, Liza - I found your pictures! As usual, they are superb! I especially liked the close-ups of the Witch Hazel flowers and the pond with the dry grasses covered with snow! I'd love a witch hazel tree but there's no room for one in my garden.

Last year, the last available "tree" spot was up for grabs, and it was a toss-up between a Witch Hazel called "Grace" and a variegated pink Dogwood, and the dogwood won. Now I have to wait for it to grow large enough to become a feature. I planted it at one end of my former vegetable garden, against the neighbour's mobile home and surrounded by tall, autumn-flowering Joe Pye Weed and Rudbeckias. I've begun building a "Hidden" pathway past the new tree, with autumn crocuses and bulbous irises beside it. This year the new area will become the home for my arisaemas and trilliums, with a few lilies (species ones - small in stature) as well. I think I'll seed some Chinese Forget-Me-Nots among these others as a filler for the midsummer season, as I love their deep blue flowers!

This little path currently goes nowhere, as there is a low, rail fence barring the way. I'll need to install a gate so that the pathway can continue into the main garden between the Mourning Widow geraniums and the geums. I'll need to post a little map of the area as well as some pictures of my progress!

I wish my pictures were as artistic as yours - I recently bought a new digital camera to replace the older one that I dropped and broke. I'm still getting used to the new camera, so there's hope that the images will improve!!

Cheers!

-gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

14 Feb '07 5:30 am
Thank you all, my friends, for your uplifting comments... But , you know, whenever I see all these photos together -- and they are beautiful! -- I have this feeling it was not me that took them... It is like trying to re-live a dream... And , finally, what is more real , the Dream , or the "Reality"... I have this feeling often, when my garden is in its high... I feel a deep gratitude watching the beauty, and this feeling, that I have never contributed really in this colourful spectacle, not even as a simple garden worker... Anyway...

Gordon, your garden is going to be ...a real colourful carpet! And your new camera is going to inspire you to take even more beautiful photos!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Arisaemas

14 Feb '07 3:28 pm
Well, folks, here is a REAL "start-to-finish" picture! The taller seedlings are my latest batch of Arisaemas (Jacks-in-the-Pulpit), and the tiny ones in the pot behind are the red-leafed Tellimas. It'll be at least 2 years and probably 3 or 4 for the Arisaema before they bloom (if I can get them to survive that long). The Arisaemas, of course, have to develop bulbs, so it takes them quite a while. This summer I plan to plant out the ones that I grew from seed 2 years ago, They are the native, eastern Canadian variety, while these new ones are a selected variety of an Asian type, and they are called,"Poseidon". These ones are supposed to grow a metre high!!

I'll post further pics of my "babies" as they develop.

Cheers,

gordonf
Arisaemas.jpg
Seedling Arisaemas (in foreground) with seedling Tellimas behind them

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

14 Feb '07 9:33 pm
Gordon, your babies look great, and even more, you know how I truly share your gardening happiness !! But the rest of the photos it would be more convenient to post them in My Garden and Plants or Garden Diaries sections of our Forum.

Cheers!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Thanks

15 Feb '07 3:32 pm
Thanks, Liza, for the suggestion. I'm never quite sure where to post pictures, especially when it's in response to someone else's note. I'll try to keep it in mind for future postings!

Cheers,

gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Springtime -- again! -- in the lovely Chateau!

20 Mar '07 3:03 am
Last week, starting from the weekend's before Saturday, it was great and sunny here , in the central Belgium! And it arrived as a true blessing, after a 4 weeks non-stop rain! Awful, really...

So! That very weekend before, on its Sunday, out we were with my little family to the lovely Chateau! SO many happy people and pets there! Families with babies, families with doggies, families with babies AND doggies, elderly or young couples in love, everybody with a sunshine on their faces, shining, bright eyes!

And the Nature? Well, the Nature has just started springing, with a lovely blooming tree at the entrance, some happy yellow Mahonias, and carpets of adorable Daffodils in the woodland and everywhere else! Just lovely! Have a look!
Early Spring in the Chateau!.jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (1).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (2).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (3).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (5).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (6).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (7).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (8).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (9).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (10).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (11).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (12).jpg
Early Spring in the Chateau! (13).jpg

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Chateau de la Hulpe

20 Mar '07 3:25 pm
Lovely pictures, as usual, Liza! Your season is definitely ahead of ours! We have some plums and early cherries blooming, but not like the one you pictured; also, it will be a while before our native mahonias bloom. But the skunk cabbages are in full bloom and, if it is a nice day tomorrow, I'll get out and take a picture of them to post here.

Was the large, white-flowering tree in the pictures a cherry or a flowering crabapple? It was lovely with the dark, evergreen background, wasn't it?

You must take some pictures of you garden with the spring-cleaning of last week finished!

Enjoy the rest of the week - there is some sunshine but lots more rain forecast for here this week, so I should get as much outside work done as possible before the heavy rain hits us later in the week!

Cheers,

gordonf

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

20 Mar '07 8:04 pm
Dear Gordon! I will pray, that your good-hearted wishes come true -- to enjoy the rest of my week! I think , the lovely tree at the entrance is a Cherry Tree , but not a Japanese one which is a pink-bloomer. So happy you enjoyed the Spring photos!

Concerning the Spring working/cleaning ,it has NOT finished yet. The back gardens( the lawn) are full of short and long thorny stems of the pruned Roses -- you see, I did not want to loose time of essential garden-work by cleaning them away.... I just have finished some essential work in regenerating the plants in the borders, by weeding, cleaning , and adding fresh compost . Some of them are also fed with organic granular fertilizer..There are many perennial baby plants to be added here and there -- tall, red Galliardias, blue Delphiniums, Veronicas Spicatas and Gentianoides, some red and blue Verbenas, that will replace my pot Geraniums, that have been old and ugly...And lots and lots more Spring cleaning... The lawn is horribly looking -- either tall or sick, and needs a good ...lifting , which is called scarifying! Wish me good weather and strong, healthy body -- my essential, vital, garden tool...

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Spring Gardening

21 Mar '07 11:44 am
Dear Liza- I see that you work like I do: get the important stuff done first and worry about the clean-up later! I certainly hope the weasther holds out long enough for you to get things done (although I know that with gardeners, there's always something more to do!).

Today, we had a lovely, generally sunny, 10 degree day. While the wind was cool, it was a great day for gardening and walking dogs, both of which I did. I got another row of digging done in the new bed and relabelled my Pacific Coast Iris seedlings which had nearly lost all the writing during the winter rains. I just got a new labeller machine which has weather-proof printing, and it's fun playing with it!

I finally decided which clematis I am going to get to climb through my weeping pear tree. It is clematis x triternata rubromarginata, and it is fragrant! It does not grow too tall so it should not overwhelm the tree, and should be a nice addition to my favourite resting spot on hot, summer afternoons. You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.gardenimport.com/.

The weather here is set to rain/snow for the next 2 or 3 days but it should be nicer by Sunday. The rainy days will probably see me plantinjg a few more seeds indoors. By the way, my little arisaema seedlings are doing very well and have become quite strong little plants, but the tellimas do not seem to have developed much at all! They still appear to be healthy, but have not grown at all - I wonder why?? Maybe they would be happier in the cold frame with colder temperatures?

Anyway, dear Liza, keep well; I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your garden, even if it is NOT up to your standard!! :D

Cheers!

gordonf

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours