Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

The Chateau De La Hulpe in Brussels/Belgium

13 May '06 4:39 am
Well. I decided to share with all of you , my Forum friends, this experience of mine I've had some days ago, one morning when I was feeling rather down...And that's why I went there!

This "Chateau", meaning "Castle"-- but I will refer to it as "Villa" -- was built by the very rich Solvay family, in 1842. At a certain moment it was offered to the Belgian State. Now it is also called "Solvay Cultural Foundation". It is a huge space of exceptional natural beauty, where all people , whenever they feel like, can visit for free! It is always full of all sort of Life, especially during weekends ! I've seen it full of visitors of all ages -- babies , dogs -- even on frozen days, when it was completely covered by snow -- still magically beautiful! In the Villa very important seminars and meetings are often held , and I-myself have attended an Opera here, organized and played in the area outside and close to the Villa !! Where , everybody had frozen to death, because the night temperatures had fallen to 11C, that late August night...

I will present you The Chateau in four different parts and posts. This one will be the first one. I will call it, "The Chateau De La Hulpe and its surrounding open space". In the following posts you will meet its woodland, some of its flowers , and some of its animals... Enjoy!
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 038.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 040.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 041.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 050.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 042.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 046.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 047.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 045.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 051.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 052.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 066.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 085.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 096.jpg
Chateau de la Hulpe, Spring 2006 037.jpg
Last edited by Liza on 13 May '06 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Thank you .Liza

13 May '06 10:32 am
What a magnificent heritage ,Liza : The most exquisite and proud aspectof European Culture. The flowers and animals and walking areas are befitting of such a place.
Dixie.

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

15 May '06 4:15 pm
Yes, thank you Liza, for sharing with us your tour of 'The Chateau' with its magnificent building, vast grounds, great woodlands, flowers and 'inhabitants'.

Sjoerd
Hoorn, the Netherlands

19 May '06 11:13 am
Such enjoyable piccies to see. Thanks for sharing them.
I'll bet you had a good time that day.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Nature's remedy..

19 May '06 8:11 pm
Yes, Sjoerd, I had a very good time that early morning, being quite sad at the beginning , feeling something really "heavy" on my chest...But soon I felt better, when --mind, body, and spirit --started being focused on these wonders I wanted to share with you. Only very few visitors were there at the moment , like a lovely primary class with their teacher playing and enjoying themselves way down , at the open space of the Chateau...

The soft sounds of the leaves on the trees, of the insects, the sweet singing of the birds, the special scents of the blossoming plants and the freshly grown leaves, of the humid earth , the bright sunshine, were my main companions. How come not to recover and be freed from my burden...
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Thank you, Liza!

21 May '06 3:16 am
What lovely pictures, and what a magnificent villa and garden! I had never heard of it before, but have saved all your pics in a special folder (Moosey > copied from members > Liza > Chayeau de la Hulpe)There is also a folder for 'Liza's Garden' where I have saved your lovely spring photos. Thanks for sharing - that is what this forum is all about, isn't it :!:

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

I am humbly honoured,....

21 May '06 4:43 am
...and my heart rejoices, because -maybe- you felt a bit like me in this place...You know, I have also been deeply in love with all your Autumn photos, and I have copied my favorite one , your "Chocolate"(! )and all, including this magical bridge of your avatar ; it is splendid, really!

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Specially for Liza

22 May '06 6:24 pm
I have photographed the bridge hundreds of times, in all seasons and all lights. This is my favourite pic. (Or perhaps it's just one of my favourites...)
misty autumn bridge.JPG

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

WHAT can I say!!!

22 May '06 11:15 pm
I am astounded!! When I saw the photo, I felt my heart beating faster!
Thank you, for this unexpected , magnificent present!
Last edited by Liza on 23 May '06 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

saving pictures

23 May '06 5:33 am
Jack - you mentioned that you saved some of the Moosey and forum photos such as these chateau ones in a folder - I have been hunting around to find out how to do that ,as I would like to save some photos too ..Do I click one of the icons at the top of the screen or something ??
Dixie.

Next

Return to Garden Tours