Kerole's Rambles

I love to Garden
valued member
Savannah, Georgia USA

Re: Kerole's Rambles

16 Mar '12 7:21 am
Those pictures are just beautiful. Thank you for taking us on vacation with you.
May we live in the joy of all of God's gifts and endeavor to appreciate them.

moosey
head gardener

30 Mar '12 7:49 am
Love this set of pix, the feel of the garden is just right there. It's a small part of our history, and beautifully presented. Looking forward to your next ramble! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Muriwai Beach

7 Apr '12 9:27 am
Living in New Zealand we are blessed with being only a stone's throw from a beach, no matter where in the country you may live. Auckland is surrounded by beaches but one of my favourites is Muriwai (MURR-a-why).

This wild west coast beach is only 10 minutes from our house. It is reached via a small track down a steepish dune at one end. It is very very long (not as long as NZs longest beach - that one is supposedly 90 miles long!) and is backed by high sand cliffs dotted with Norfolk Pines. The water is the Tasman Sea (the ocean between NZ and Australia), it is cold, and well known for having ferrocious undertows and rips. The conditions suit the surfers just fine, good year-round swell and few swimmers. Although the sand in my photos looks golden it is actually quite dark, even black in places, from ground up iron ore deposits. On a fine day it is often too hot to stand on.

This is my mother and my undergardeners enjoying some time away from the garden and farm. They had a ball exploring the rock pools full of crabs and anemones, and the deep, narrow cave in the rocks which had a high drippy ceiling and nesting swallows flitting in and out. The rock face has been moulded by the tides into smooth, undulating, landscape-like forms with stripes of vivid green algae against the sparkly black colonies of tiny baby mussels. Millions of feet have taken advantage of a series of natural depressions up the rock face, forming a short staircase. Only nature can produce something this cool!

Muriwai is a magical place. Beach as far as the eye can see, open ocean views, seclusion, and plenty of very fresh sharp salt air. It is a place where you can breath and think.
m beach1.JPG
m beach3.JPG
m beach4.JPG
m beach6.JPG
m beach7.JPG
m beach8.JPG
m beach9.JPG
m beach10.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

26 Jun '12 3:31 am
Looks a really nice place, how great to live so close to something like that! I love the rocks and especially the steps. :)

moosey
head gardener

29 Jun '12 5:14 pm
And beaches in autumn-winter are just magical. They have their own mood then. Love visiting places through your camera, too, Kerole. You see such groovy things. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

My Mum's Garden

24 Nov '12 1:17 pm
Crikey it's been a while since I shared a garden adventure with you all!

This is a few photos from my parent's property in Havelock North, Hawke's Bay. It is a 6 hour drive from us to them so I don't get down to see them often, even though the undergardeners are excellent travellers.

I took the undergardeners to stay at my parent's place in October. We had a wonderful, horse-less 8 days there. Unfortunately I lost most of my photos. I guess I pushed the wrong button somewhere along the way. So these shots are only of a tiny bit of it. My mother is an accomplished gardener with very green thumbs. Everything grows well for her, usually attaining weed status in double-quick time. She is well into her 70s now and still has no help in the garden aside from my dad who is 10 years older, he mows the lawns like bowling greens without fail, every weekend.

The garden is predominantly pink, blue, and white - an 80's affectation that Mum seems reluctant to move away from! The result is a frothy pastel creation that is immediately soothing. It was early spring and much of the borders were not yet in their stride but I thought it was worth showing you anyway.
cherry pots.JPG
cherry pots2.JPG
cotinus cherry.JPG
irises under the arch.JPG
long pot.JPG
lawn chairs.JPG
lawn chairs2.JPG
lawn chairs3.JPG
hill path.JPG
hill path2.JPG
hill path3.JPG
cherries and echium.JPG
bird bath garden.JPG
bird bath.JPG
clematis.JPG
clematis2.JPG
long view.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

24 Nov '12 3:16 pm
Sorry you lost some of your photos. Love the ones you've posted, what a beautiful garden. And how wonderful that your parents still tend and enjoy it, and you can share your love of gardening. I just got off the phone with my mother after getting another lecture on how gardening is too much effort and it's not women's work anyway! :(

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

24 Nov '12 4:14 pm
Oh dear MacFlax I'm sorry you get lectured for your love of gardening. :(

I am lucky. I come from several generations of gardeners and garden-lovers on both sides of my family, particularly my grandmothers. But I got the majority of my inspiration from my mother. I always knew I wanted a great big country garden, even when I was a poor student living in a grey concrete high-rise. My mother and I share lengthy discussions and dissertations on all things garden nearly every day on the phone. She is like a walking encyclopedia and always has useful advice. She is also a useful source of new plants! She and Dad come to visit often and their car is always full of bits and pieces, seeds and cuttings, and seedlings from her and her friends gardens, and she picks up cheapies from the sales table at her local garden centre. On the return journey their car is equally stuffed with plants from my place and from a near by nursery that Mum loves.

I am envious of her established, manageable garden and she longs for my huge garden of endless possibilities! She has put so much love and energy into my garden over the years. I would be very lost without her input.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Eden Gardens

11 Jan '13 7:41 am
Hello again.

I've been getting behind in my postings - a mad rush up to Christmas etc. This is the first opportunity I've had to get some of my pics sorted.

In November last year I took the undergardeners on an outing to a very special garden. Eden Gardens is slap bang in the middle of an inner Auckland city suburb, a very posh suburb at that. It is tucked away at the end of a secluded tree-lined road - it is easy to miss unless you know where you're going!

It was developed in the 1960s from an ugly abandoned rock quarry. From then until today all the work, planting, paths, walls, watering and maintanance has been undertaken solely by volunteers. It has become a memorial garden of sorts too, with discrete metal plaques amongst the plants and garden seats, each with the name of a dead loved one that had in some way been touched by this special place. It is a beautiful garden, made by true gardeners.

There is a gorgeous gift shop and cafe that sells yummy gourmet food, plus a small nursery, but really it is the garden that keeps me coming back. It is nearly 7 acres of established lushness with meandering paths, some wide flat avenues, others tight and sinuous. It begins on a large flattish section but drops away on one side into a sheltered shadowy gully, and on the other side it rises up steep sun-baked rock faces. Evidence of the old quarry remains, there are rocks everywhere - rock walls, rock steps, and many of the plants are growing in pockets between huge rocks.

There is an English garden feel to it with formal edgings of box and Liriope throughout. Initially there are fat, generous garden beds filled with irises, roses, and dozens of hybrid clematises. Gradually this gives way to an extensive shubbery with beautiful combinations of staggered plantings including many Japanese cherries and maples. Further on it becomes a woodland with tall trees underplanted with ferns, clivias, and azaleas. Rhodos abound and orchids grows out of rock crevices. There are several natural looking water falls and small bridges.

What my photos don't fully represent is the clever planting layout that creates a layered effect, a tapestry of texture and leaf colour that overlaps seemlessly. Everywhere you turn, the garden unfolds before you, another path, another set of inviting steps, another corner...
irises.JPG
irises2.JPG
black.JPG
black2.JPG
yellows.JPG
yellows2.JPG
yellows3.JPG
yellows4.JPG
K640_DSC09548.JPG
K640_DSC09555.JPG
K640_DSC09556.JPG
K640_DSC09559.JPG
K640_DSC09563.JPG
K640_DSC09561.JPG
K640_DSC09572.JPG
K640_DSC09549.JPG
K640_DSC09577.JPG

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Eden Gardens

11 Jan '13 7:50 am
More pics from Eden Gardens.
K640_DSC09574.JPG
K640_DSC09583.JPG
K640_DSC09599.JPG
K640_DSC09604.JPG
K640_DSC09580.JPG
pinks.JPG
pinks3.JPG
pinks2.JPG
K640_DSC09587.JPG
poor knights lily.JPG
Native Poor Knights lily (Xeronema callistemon) from the remote Poor Knights Islands off the coast of New Zealand. It is endangered in the wild. I love this plant - one I must try to grow!
poor knights lily flower.JPG
woodland clivias.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours