Auckland Botanical Gardens

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Auckland Botanical Gardens

23 Nov '10 7:23 pm
Hi all.

I thought I'd share some photos of a recent visit to the Auckland Botanical Gardens. This is way on the far side of the city from where we live so we don't get to go very often. It is relatively new - only a handful of years old so it lacks some of the oldy-worldy ambience of an established garden. But what it lacks in age and lichen, it makes up for in size and diversity!

November is definitely the right time to go though... wow is all I can say. The place is huge with massive park-like expanses, mature trees, and a variety of well planted garden areas. My family and I spent a few hours there but I could have stayed even longer!

I will start with the sculpture at the entrance. It is an immense column made from highly polished stainless seagulls. It shimmers and sparkles in the sunlight. Really quite extrordinary. To one side is a threesome of stainless Nikau palms attached high up against the wall of the entrance building. Water flows from them, creating the trunks (this is not very clear in my photos).

The other photos show some of the grander vistas and structures from within the garden.

I'll keep adding to this thread along the way.
front entrance2.JPG
Before you even get into the gardens.
front entrance.JPG
Love the huge palm water feature up on the wall.
archway.JPG
Heading toward the cottage gardens...
big view2.JPG
big view across city.JPG
Right across to the residential city area that surrounds the gardens.
bridge2.JPG
This is one my favourite features. I will show more of this bridge in a future post.
cabana.JPG
Looking out across the perennial gardens.
pink scabious.JPG
Another part of the immense perennial garden beds.
rose arch.JPG
This is only a tiny part of the rose gardens. The sheer volume of roses is utterly overwhelming! I was in heaven.
undergardener striding out.JPG
My undergardener was having a ball too!
Last edited by Kerole on 24 Nov '10 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Auckland Botanical Gardens

23 Nov '10 11:49 pm
Beautiful Kerole. Thank you so much for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

5 Dec '10 8:31 pm
Here are some of the plant combinations that really grabbed me. The rose and perennial beds are on a massive scale and the effect is stunning. Great swathes of colour and some inspired colour choices.

Enjoy!

Next instalment is some of the cottage gardens...
abutilon delphinium etc.JPG
This was part of the hot border. The euphorbia against the black-red Abutilon was incredible. I have some cuttings of this Abutilon (from a friend) for my Pond Garden scheme!
black and orange.JPG
A closer look. Dianthus 'Sooty' against the orange Californian poppies really zings.
hot colours.JPG
A sea of Achillea 'Red Velvet' in the foreground with a yellow blaze of Rudbekia further on.
red roses and dark flax.JPG
I cannot remember the name of this rose but it was intermingled with a very dark leafed flax. Another idea for my Pond Garden!
violas and red roses.JPG
At the far end of this border the roses ran into a wall of purple violas marking the beginning of the cooler colour schemes.
yellow and black.JPG
Yellow and black - very bold! Bright Rudbekias, verbascums, and cosmos mingle with 'Sooty' Dianthus and Physocarpus 'Shady Lady'.
yellow and black2.JPG
Yellows mixed with bronze fennel.
veronica.JPG
Miles of white and pale blue veronicas made up part of the cool coloured beds.
purple and yellow.JPG
A nice combo of mauve Brachyscome, soft yellow Achillea 'Moonshine', and rich purple Penstemon 'Purple Passion'.
pink scabious.JPG
Large patches of soft pink Scabious 'Pink Mist' and pointy white Veronica looked amazing but sadly it looks a bit insipid in this photo.
blue.JPG
Brilliant blue Veronica in front of the gorgeous soft pastels of Siberian irises and white Gaura. Soothing and ultra classy.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 Jan '11 8:21 am
Finally, a moment to update this thread.

As promised, some shots of the vast cottage garden area. It was awash with frothy cottage lovelies. All colours all in together - quite amazing. My photos don't do it justice I'm afraid.

I particularly liked the planter pots. Collections of three huge square pots planted with a purple, mauve, lime and silver colour theme. The plants looked amazing against the white concrete of the pots and the wood of the rustic arbour nearby.

Next post, the herb garden...
concrete planters.JPG
concrete planters2.JPG
cottage garden.JPG
cottage garden 2.JPG
cottage garden3.JPG
cottage garden seat.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

12 Jan '11 1:39 am
Gorgeous. LOVE those pots!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 Jan '11 3:28 pm
This is the cute-as-pie herb gardens. You enter it through a rose covered arch in a double hedge of lavender and silver senecio. I loved the layered effect of this hedge.

The gardens have an old fashioned charm with shade trees, flowering edibles, and red brick paths and steps. It was reasonably large but well sectioned and terraced on a slope with plenty of windy paths, little sunken areas and blind corners.

I would love to own this herb garden!
herb garden entrance.JPG
Not sure of the rose name. It smelled divine!
low hedging.JPG
Love the double layered look.
herb garden path.JPG
This leads to perfectly efficient compost bins.
herb garden paths.JPG
Punctuated with quite large Hebe balls.
herb garden seating.JPG
Simple wooden slat benches amidst raised brick planting areas. Sit surrounded by the smell of rosemary, thyme, and other delights.
hot herbs.JPG
Yellow and pink looked fab in this setting.
nasturtiums.JPG
What would a herb garden be without Nasturtiums?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jan '11 6:16 pm
Lovely!

nanny129
honoured member

23 Feb '11 2:28 am
hi Kerole-- beautiful pics-- i cannot wait til spring-- made a few dozen cutting yesterday-- but ground is still too cold for any annual plantings-- gor crocus & buttercups(daffys) blooming-- soon to come the forsythia & quince-- i love the quince- i am not much on yellows & oranges-- but at this time of year i will gladly take any color-- goin to play in the dirt again today-- supposed to have colder temps for about a week -- then one more cold hit-- and then SPRING!!!! yahoo-- have a great day-- judy

mathyujobs
valued helper
United states

24 Jun '13 9:52 pm
I would like to thank for sharing such a great and beautiful Auckland botanical gardens pictures with us here. I must say that I want to make same as a small garden. So please give me the ideas about this type of gardens that, where I start it?

Return to Garden Tours