Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

NZ largest city

18 Jan '09 6:44 pm
Today we visited NZ's largest city,Auckland.It is built on an isthmus and on around 60 volcanoes,which are,hopefully,extinct.
Two of my children and their families live and work in Auckland.We drove up to the top of one of the (extinct) volcanoes-a beautiful view all over the city.
Cattle and sheep graze on the slopes and the whole area is a gorgeous park,with numerous specimen trees.I found it fascinating that volcanic rocks were gathered and used for walls,and even buildings.
A3.JPG
from my daughter's home
A6.JPG
At the park.My son and grandson.
A4.JPG
volcanic rocks used for garden edging.
20.JPG
Me with my grandson who didn't like the sheep droppings.
A2.JPG
my family picnic
A5.JPG
This is a NZ Kauri tree grove.Some Pacific Islanders practising their rugby.
A8.JPG
This is a popular place to stroll on a Weekend.Inside there is a screen showing the history of the area.
A7.JPG
In the distance is the most recent volcanoRangitoto island-600 years ago it rose out of the sea and now guards the entrance to Auckland harbour.
A9.JPG
In the distance is the central business area of Auckland.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

19 Jan '09 9:30 am
The view from up there reminded me of the view from the old walled city of Rye. Both have old rock buildings and walls and look out over a bit of a plane. Gee, they're within walking distance of the park. Nice to have such wonderful stone for garden edging. And what is this .. a rare sighting of the gardener, photographer and matriarch herself. You're looking fit and strong. I guess hauling grandkids past the sheep patties will keep you fit. You're lucky they don't mind you posting pics of the grandkids. My much younger brother and his still much younger wife have a three year old whose pictures I'd love to post but they're concerned about cyber savvy pedophiles tracking her down. Over protective in my opinion but I've got to respect their decision. They have another due next month. Officially I'm the uncle but with no real living grandparents on either side I think that is my role. She will be a gardener if I have anything to say about it.

Thanks for taking us on your visit.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jan '09 6:45 pm
Looks like a lovely day out. :) I knew there were volcanoes but I didn't realise there were so many!

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Day out

20 Jan '09 5:41 am
I checked in a book for the actual number-most of the volcanic cones were flattened for building houses,and i wonder if that was wise,but there were some tall ones retained and they now have parks around them and you can drive to the top to see the 360 degree views over Auckland.At the summit there were several nationalities.
A12.JPG
A busload of Asian tourists,and some English,American and Indian.
A13.JPG
This is one of the first ever cottages built when Auckland was settled-it was built in 1841 and is preserved here.
A14.JPG
Inside the cottage
A15.JPG
from inside the taller building in the previous photo 8.The wood panelling is NZ native Kauri-a very strong wood.Because it was plentiful here,great forests were cut down and this is regretted today.

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Something to brag about...

20 Jan '09 7:46 am
Wow. Tonight is a bargain on Mooseys. Not only do I have relatively easy access, but there is so much to see - even, as Mark so eloquently put it, 'the gardener, photographer and matriarch herself'!!

But it is that island that really gets me. "Yes," says Dixie sweetly to the overbearingly grand visitor, " I suppose 1841 is rather recent. And yes, we don't have any medieval castle ruins guarding the harbour as you would in Europe. However, you see that island over there? The Dear Lord Himself created it 600 years ago to guard our harbour..."

Isabella8688

Re: NZ largest city

28 Mar '12 7:40 pm
nice pic

chal5oye

11 Jan '14 9:26 pm
I guess hauling grandkids past the sheep patties will keep you fit. You're lucky they don't mind you posting pics of the grandkids. My much younger brother and his still much younger wife have a three year old whose pictures I'd love to post but they're concerned about cyber savvy pedophiles tracking her down. Over protective in my opinion but I've got to respect their decision. They have another due next month. Officially I'm the uncle but with no real living grandparents on either side I think that is my role. She will be a gardener if I have anything to say about it.
GuL

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

12 Jan '14 12:24 pm
What lovely pictures! The sky looks so bright and clear. Is that because the city on on the isthmus? Our closest coastal city is Vancouver, BC and they always seem to have lovely clear skies as well. The pollution blows up to the end of the Fraser Valley. I love the houses in the pictures. They're very similar to the styles of houses built in BC. We have a lot of forests so wood has historically been the preferred building material. It's lovely to see the older houses still around. We have more of the older ones in interior of our province, where the weather is much drier.

During the Fall my daughter, granddaughter and I took a trip to Nelson and the surrounding area, the Kootenays. I've attached a picture of a little house, built on Zuckerberg Island near Castlegar. Castlegar, Nelson and Nakusp all have many beautiful older wood homes, still being lived in. Zuckerberg Island is a Heritage Park. The little house was so cute inside. My daughter and granddaughter are sitting on the steps.

It's so relaxing to have a family vacation in a beautiful spot. Thanks for posting your pictures!
June
Nelson house.jpg
Zuckerberg Island Heritage Park house
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

On Bumping Old Threads

12 Jan '14 8:10 pm
June, those earlier pics are from 2009.

Our new member chal5oye has bumped up this thread after two years to say what Mark said, how peculiar. Whatever next, advertising perhaps? :evil:

chal5oye wrote:I guess hauling grandkids past the sheep patties will keep you fit. You're lucky they don't mind you posting pics of the grandkids. My much younger brother and his still much younger wife have a three year old whose pictures I'd love to post but they're concerned about cyber savvy pedophiles tracking her down. Over protective in my opinion but I've got to respect their decision. They have another due next month. Officially I'm the uncle but with no real living grandparents on either side I think that is my role. She will be a gardener if I have anything to say about it.

Mark wrote:The view from up there reminded me of the view from the old walled city of Rye. Both have old rock buildings and walls and look out over a bit of a plane. Gee, they're within walking distance of the park. Nice to have such wonderful stone for garden edging. And what is this .. a rare sighting of the gardener, photographer and matriarch herself. You're looking fit and strong. I guess hauling grandkids past the sheep patties will keep you fit. You're lucky they don't mind you posting pics of the grandkids. My much younger brother and his still much younger wife have a three year old whose pictures I'd love to post but they're concerned about cyber savvy pedophiles tracking her down. Over protective in my opinion but I've got to respect their decision. They have another due next month. Officially I'm the uncle but with no real living grandparents on either side I think that is my role. She will be a gardener if I have anything to say about it.

Thanks for taking us on your visit.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Zuckerberg Island

12 Jan '14 8:14 pm
Lovely photo, such a cute building.

Next

Return to Garden Tours