Canberra

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

4 Jun '09 8:40 am
Oh dear MacFlax. Another tree I really like the look of but know nothing about. Is it a relative of the somewhat over-used Bradford pear in the US :?:

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 Jun '09 2:26 am
Double-checking the scientific name I found this article about the Manchurian pear. Rather worrying news about branch weaknesses. There's a whole avenue of them along a very popular walking path. Perhaps they have an arborist check them regularly?
The article says "Not all pear trees have the problem. There are many excellent cultivars around, like ‘Aristocrat’, ‘Chanticleer’, ‘ Capital and ‘Bradford’, which are fine garden plants".

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1946196.htm

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Pears

8 Jun '09 9:09 am
Thanks for the info MacFlax. I took a look at the gardening website you posted - what a great resource for Australian gardeners! I do wonder though, why choose to plant an avenue of branch-dropping Manchurian pears when there are other ornamental pear varieties that don't do this? The Manchurian pear must sure be special 8)

Don't tell Moosey about the Chanticleer pear or she'll want one just coz of its name! :D

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Lanyon Homestead

1 Sep '09 9:04 pm
The hint of spring in the air encouraged hubby and I last week to take time out of the rather dreary tasks that have bogged us down lately and visit Lanyon, an 1850's homestead on the outskirts of Canberra. Although the land is still leased out as a working property, the old main house is open to the public.

Beside the road in to the house is a fascinating old eucalypt which appears to have fallen down and then sent up new branch-trees along its length.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Olive Prostrata

3 Sep '09 1:24 pm
What a stunning old building and a lovely piece of history. The horizontal tree is gorgeous. Funnily enough I am hoping to create something similar with an olive tree that fell over sideways last year. It has grown upright branches out of it's trunk just like your photos. I now call it our Olive Prostrata!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

3 Sep '09 11:59 pm
Oh, I meant to add that the pics are clickable. I've forgotten how to upload them here so I just did the links. :oops:

Kerole, I'd love to see a photo of your Olive Prostrata. :) I wonder how many plants do that, or is it just dependent on whether sufficient roots remain in the ground?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Canberra

20 Sep '10 11:14 pm
A spring pic of the gardens of the National Gallery (click to enlarge). I love the combination of golden wattle and purple hardenbergia.

moosey
head gardener

21 Sep '10 8:31 am
Beautiful!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Oct '10 7:33 pm
Last week we visited Tulip Top Gardens, a private garden that is open to the public during Floriade festival.
I've resized the pic so I hope this works.
TulipTop.jpg
Tulip Top Gardens

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

13 Feb '11 10:59 pm
Noticed this garden outside the local environmental group's office on the way home today. :lol:

P1270037_2.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Tours