Canberra

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Canberra

9 Oct '08 9:40 pm
I've been out with the camera in the past week so I thought I'd share a few pics.
Beside Lake Burley Griffin.

Last edited by MacFlax on 18 Oct '08 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Garden Centres

9 Oct '08 9:44 pm

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Old Parliament House gardens

9 Oct '08 9:46 pm

Waratah
honoured member
Blue Mountains, NSW Australia

10 Oct '08 9:17 am
Good to see I'm not the only one who can spend a considerable amount of time at a garden centre. I love that giant pear, was it made of horseshoes?

Last I knew the gardens at OPH were in a bad way. Is that still the case and did you only photograph the tidy bits? I heard the rose garden was looking very sad but that was about a year ago and I think some rain since then should have helped.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Would love to see more of the Lake.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

10 Oct '08 5:34 pm
Yes, the pear is made of horseshoes. I only realised after I'd walked past it a few times.
The OPH gardens were looking great, despite not being at their peak. The roses themselves weren't out and the wisteria wasn't as lush as I've seen them. Stupid question :oops: when should I go back to photograph the roses?

These are the trees along the walkway on the southern side of the lake. We drove a relative from interstate past there about a month ago and they were in full bloom and just spectacular. I went back too late to capture it on film. Also by the time we stopped there the wind had come up so we weren't inclined to stay too long. I'd love to go back with the camera and walk right round the lake sometime. Okay, maybe a bit ambitious. Just round central basin might do for one expedition.

Btw could someone please tell me how to put the pics beside each other?

Waratah
honoured member
Blue Mountains, NSW Australia

11 Oct '08 9:59 am
Hi MacFlax,

I'm glad to hear the gardens at OPH are looking splendid. Perhaps the person who wrote about them on another forum was exaggerating. I love the clipped lavender, if that's what it is. And is that a large climbing rose on the left of the loggia?

Thank you for posting more pictures. It looks like the best is yet to come. November is the peak time for roses in the Southern Highlands, so I guess it depends on how much the Canberra climate differs from that as to the best time to go back. Maybe you could ring OPH, there's sure to be info about the gardens.

When I load pictures they just end up in a line across the page, so I can't say why it's different for you. I'm sure someone else will know.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Dec '08 10:26 pm
Waratah, yes, it was clipped lavender. Looked lovely! I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner.

We went to the coast (about a two hour drive) last week to visit relatives, intending to beat the summer crowds. We also beat the summer weather.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Canberra

19 Dec '08 5:36 am
I somehow missed this thread in Oct,so have been browsing and enjoying.
I always love rose arbours to walk under.A good setting for a wedding.
Your original pictures are probably small,Macflax,which is why they line up vertically.See if you can make them a little bigger and they should come out across the page.
Actually i wish our photos on this forum could come out bigger-they used to when i first joined.They have to be clicked on to enlarge them,and with dial-up that takes ages,so I often give up.Which coastal place did you visit?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Dec '08 2:03 pm
I use the thingy (I know all the technical terms :lol: ) for message boards. I've accidentally tried others with no success at all, and the full size pics are huge. I've been asked elsewhere not to do that again. :oops: Maybe I need to learn how to resize.
The town is called Batemans Bay. It's about 280km south of Sydney.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

4 Jun '09 4:12 am
Hubby and I went for a walk along the lake last month and the trees I mentioned in my post on 10 Oct were showing off their autumn foliage. I have found out what they are, Manchurian pears. Gorgeous.

Click to enlarge.

Next

Return to Garden Tours